KTM 990 gasoline problem

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Meersen, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Meersen

Meersen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is a 2011 Dakar model--went for 30 mile ride today came home put in garage and smelled a little gas could not see any fuel any where. After about 30 minutes in house went back in garage and notice gasoline odor. Went to look at bike and heard a percolating noise. First I thought it was radiator but that looked ok. Then opened gas lid and gas looked like it was boiling which I knew it wasn't opened other tank same issue. This percolation lasted a good hour. When I first opened the thanks it felt like there was vacuum sound upon pulling lid. Bike starts ok and runs ok I'm not very mechanical and wondered if any other person has had this problem or have any ideas . Thanks in advance
  2. Katoom72

Katoom72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. sonoran

sonoran Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    When you were riding it how high was the temp gauge?
  4. Meersen

Meersen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2 bars from the top
  5. Meersen

Meersen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had bike at ktm dealer for 3 days and they said they did not see anything. Put it on computer and checked mapping also looked at heat shields and venting on gas claps.Picked it up rode it home freeway 30 miles at 70 to 75 then rode it in neighbor hood for 15 minutes at variable speed 20--35 mph stopped couple times under traffic light --fan came on and it showed 2 bars from the top on engine temp. Parked it in garage fuel was boiling like tea kettle and could feel some pressure when opening gas caps. Any more ideas from anyone thanks
  6. sonoran

sonoran Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. travelsomewhere

travelsomewhere Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, a 990 friend of mine had this happen and he will know what it is, he is in china for work but i will shoot him a text and tell him to look into the forum. i thought he said something about the connection hose between the tanks having something to do with it. hang tight i will do my best.
  8. travelsomewhere

travelsomewhere Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I talked to my friend in that is in China and he said that his was a dirty fuel filter. may want to check that out
  9. offworlder

offworlder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Side note: according to KTM tech @ Adventure Rally, fuel filters should be replaced at most every 20K km.
  10. Meersen

Meersen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys bike at shop now having fuel filter checked if ok will try heat shield and 2nd fan.
  11. Meersen

Meersen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got bike back from dealer today they replaced fuel filter because the sock on it looked like it was filthy. Mechanic said it looked like it was 10 yrs old. Rode bike 35 miles on freeway then rode it slow --stop --and go and figure 8 slowly etc . It never over heated --fuel never boiled and bike rode very smoothly at all paces so it seems it solved my problem and it seems to be same as several other guys have experienced with new bikes.:clap:clap thanks for all the imput
  12. Deviant666

Deviant666 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A dirty fuel filter causes other issues like surging when the you're trying to rev higher...I've had about 4-5 filter changes due to the above mentioned symptom but never ever had my fuel boiling...I ride in very hot climates too...btw 2 bars from the top isn't a problem in slow traffic...last two temperature bars flashing THAT'S overheating anything less is just normal, especially so if your bike hasn't been broken-in yet (tighter metal to metal tolerances)...