The 1988-2008 Husaberg Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by brucifer, Nov 27, 2010.

1. 4corners14

4corners14 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    ....with a side stand for the first time since I got it!

[​IMG]

....now I just have to put together a new front wheel. I swear it never ends :lol3
  2. Big-Tim

Big-Tim n00b

Oddometer:
    I have a 95 husaberg 350 just wondering what other motors I can put in her and would anyone on here have a motor for me? Figured I'd feel it out if its not crazy money might consider swapping for a different motor ,
  3. yellowbronco

yellowbronco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The '95 350 should not be electric start so that means any '88 to 2000 engine that is also without the electric start will fit and, although I haven't tried it myself, any 2001 to 2008 engine should fit. I suspect this because I have a '95 501 engine mounted in a 2003 frame and it works just fine.
  4. Big-Tim

Big-Tim n00b

Oddometer:
    Very cool thanks for the info , how was the swap ? Direct bolt , how do u like the 501 , been reading that's the one to have

-Tim
  5. makazica

makazica Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cheers all!

Recently got a 2004 FE 450 Force edition (CNC triples, different spec suspension, DID "Dirt Star" rims - kinda like Six Days KTM I guess)....

After 8 hours it went BANGGG on me....:lol3 Frikkin shit.

Pics, note the cam....spectacular....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So now I'm gathering cash to fix it, by now I got the piston, new valves, all new bearings and different little stuff like o-rings, seals....blah, blah....

I've sent the cylinder for a slight, slight hone so we'll see how that looks after I get it back, would like to skip buying a new one but if I'm not gonna be satisfied with the old one.....

Of course, new cam, timing chain, one gear out of the gear box while I'm in it etc....

Amazingly, the con rod big end looks perfect....the small end bush was bad but I got a new bush off Taffmeisters, UK. Also, I managed to source new balanser bearings here in Croatia (not available as OEM, only the whole assy = $$$$$$).

Any way......WHERE did you guys source those bigger tanks (Clarke doesn't sell them anymore), I'd love to get one...I'm even interested in a smaller sub frame tank if someone is selling.

Only thing I managed to find is 15L alu tank from Omero moto, Italy, but at a price of 850€ I'll pass on that....

Oh, yeah....can't find that Krylon spray for sale over in Europe too, doe's anybody know a web store that sells it and ships over the pond?

Cheers!

M.
    shrubitup likes this.
  6. Idle

Idle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bummer,,,

That cam follower bearing must have gave up a long time ago for it to grind the cam down like that.

They need checking at 90 hours and if they look good, run it a bit longer and check again or just replace at ~120 hours.

Or can just keep a record on your valve adjustments. Every time you have to tighten the valves up it usually means the pins and needles have worn a bit.

Valve checks at 30 hours x 4 times having to tighten them up = 120 hours and they may look like this, or this;

Two different bearings..

First one is my first one.. It went 250 hours then It messed up the cam,,,

[​IMG]

this one just scratched the cam a little. 150 hours.

[​IMG]

That's bearing dust on the end of the magnet, I found it in the puddle beneath the cam lobes.

It's not worth it to let them go too long without replacing.
    This is how I have been fixing the new bearings in the rocker arms;

[​IMG]
  7. garet55947

garet55947 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking at an 06 FE 650 with 2700 miles. Is this bike known for a lot of engine noise, like moving parts inside thin wall engine cases? Any worries if maint has been kept up to date? Cam chain replaced, valves adjusted and ol changed every three tanks of gas. Oh yeah, $4600 with lots of mods:clap. Advice please, this is an offbeat ride. Thanks.
  8. RingGap

RingGap UK Expat

Oddometer:
    They are noisy engines, nothing like Jap 4strokes, oil filter changes are critical as factory recommends replace every 10 race hrs, there's a plastic screen on lower RH side case that's required to clean every 5 race hrs, you can lay bike on left side and remove to clean without having drain all the oil,
    Min recommendations is oil/filter every 50 hrs light street / trail use, 04 - 08 are the best models
  9. rickcj7

rickcj7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had an 06 FE450 and it only had 2000 miles and it was quieter than most KTMs I listened to. If the engine is tight it shouldn't be very noisy.
  10. makazica

makazica Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't recommend changing oil and filters after 50hrs what ever use it gets. Tops 20 hours!

Also 70 degrees model proved to be bulletproof, so '09 and up gets my vote.

M.
  11. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    Any interest in a 2007 650 FE with low miles, thinking of putting this up for sale soon. Bike is loaded with options and the price will be right.
    PM me for details.

12. BucketHead

BucketHead Man-Camel

Oddometer:
    Posted here because these are pretty obscure...

Hi All-

I know its a bit of a long shot, but I am looking for ways to extend the fuel range for rally on my 08 FE550 beyond what I get from my Clarke tank. Does anybody have any tanks available, or other good solutions?

Cheers!
    Matthew
  13. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    I have an under seat, PM me if interested.
  14. BucketHead

BucketHead Man-Camel

Oddometer:
    Hi All-

Big Thanks to James Renazco for helping me with an underseat tank.

I assume the CDI mounting tab needs to be cut off? Can anybody give me more info on where the CDI is best relocated to?

Thanks!
    Matthew
  15. Idle

Idle Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. 4corners14

4corners14 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure these are the factory wheels off of my 2005 FS650c, but not sure as I bought it used and the prior owner gave them to me. 18"rear and 21" front Excel, with rotor and sprocket. I was thinking that this bike started it's life as a racing Super Motard so I would it would have had a set of 17 " or 18" wheels on it......anyway, my question is....what is the set of used wheels worth? I don't need them, I just don't know what the market is. Your thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also have the 19" rear wheel that I replaced with a tougher 18" with Cush hub that I need to price out. It's a RAD hub and 11 of the spokes are broken. Tire is about 80% and I have a brand new tire that can go with it. What's it worth?

[​IMG]
  17. yellowbronco

yellowbronco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Time to bump this thread!

Had my mechanic install a Rekluse I picked up second hand a few years ago.

[​IMG]

Then went out exploring in the Sierras.

[​IMG]
  18. rewsiffer

rewsiffer n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey there, I've got a '94 Husaberg FC600 that I can't get to start. I got the bike knowing this, however the previous owner said(and I later confirmed) that the bike has good compression and a good spark and therefore it must be a fueling problem. He said that the bike was running when he parked it at the end of last season, but would not fire up when he tried to start it this season. Its got a VHSB 38 flatslide carb(from what I've read, the less common type) There have been a few things I've fixed since I got the bike 3 days ago:

1st: When I first put fuel in the bike, it immediately started dumping out of the carb and this told me that something was stuck in the float bowl. I proceeded to pretty thoroughly clean the float bowl and jets and since then it no longer pukes fuel when I put it in. Afterward, however, still no start or even smoke after endless kicking.

2nd: After reading many threads, I figured I might as well adjust the valves to rule that out as a cause. However, after doing so, the bike was just as dead as when I got it

3rd: After reading the owners manual, I noticed my decomp level was grossly out of spec, so I tightened that to around 2mm of play. Then, after many kicks(choke on) the bike start back firing and popping a bunch and suddenly came to life...for about 5 seconds. After that I could not get it to start or even pop again that night.

Today, after tightening the decomp cable a little more and screwing in the screw on the carb to 2 turns out(I believe it's an air screw, not a fuel screw because I have the VHSB carb), choke on, I was again able to get the bike to start for a few seconds. Immediately after it died, it started again on the first kick, ran for about 10 seconds, then died. After that I was barely able to get it to even back fire and pop for a while. After letting it cool for a while, I came back, gave it a bunch of kicks, but have only been able to get it to occasionally backfire or pop but not start.

So, any ideas?

I've heard that there are consumables in the VHSB 38 carb that should replaced, anyone know what these are and where I can find them? I believe the jetting specs should be alright because the previous owner had it running fine last season and he was around the same approx. altitude.

Also, after reading a bunch in this forum, I keep hearing people talk about an "Owners Doc" and a "Resources Section" of the website, but I have not been able to find either of these. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
    Rewsiffer
  19. rickcj7

rickcj7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try some starting fluid if it runs the carb is clogged if it doesn't run it's out of time. Fuel spark and compression it will run.
  20. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    Sheared key on the flywheel throwing out the timing?

The Owner's Doc is over on husaberg.org Not sure where now as the site has just had a major upgrade and its not jumping out at me.