trails end BMW

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by vtbob, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's another option for travelers needing assistance big or small; post what your needs are and chances are someone in the Alaska ADV community will have a solution.
    IF I'm around you're welcome to use my shop for oil changes and there are three independent shops in Fairbanks that may be able to help too. Same thing goes for the Anchorage area. We're all riders and travelers here and most of us have needed help on the road a time or two.

BTW, Trails End BMW has always done alright for me, both the legendary George and the "new guys."
  2. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    Iam glad no one picks on me it would hurt my feelings.:hide
  3. AK Bob

AK Bob AKAM

Oddometer:
    I've been riding and wrenching in Fairbanks on my BMW's since the 80's. Service from George at "Old Trails End", and Service and Parts from the "New Trails End", have always been first rate. Guess it is just a differance in expectations, parts, supplies, and service some times take time, travelers do get bumped to THE HEAD OF THE LINE, in my experience.. Lots of travelers.. Hey who showed up first that they can get back on the road the fastest is how it is done!

To suggest that shops in Fairbanks are Gougeing travelers is not only BS and Wrong, but I find it Insulting. Reality check.. It is more expensive to live in AK than a lot of the lower 48, the guys in the shops have to pay their people what it takes to live here.

If one needs to have their hand held, maybe you should bring a support crew with you..

Just the way I see it, nothing personal..

Suck it up and quit bitchin.

Hell Friar you got big sholders! It shouldn't bother you at all, one less problem at the Abbey!
  4. Budman

Budman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On my trip to Alaska in 2005 I called George before I left to schedule an apointment. He said ok but he wasnt loosing any sleep on me getting there on time. Crotchety on the phone and crotchety when I got there but he was great to do business with and great to listen to his stories.
    A small group from Germany on GSs showed up and demanded services. They left very unhappy. When I arrived i was a little early and he told me he was headed to lunch. Go take a nap. So I did. When he came back he serviced the bike and I was on my way.
    When in Alaska its best to remember that you may as well learn patience, your a long way from home and you are not the most important thing on anyones mind. I found while there that most people were very helpful and courtesy on my part went a long way.
    I cant wait to go back. Hopefully with Ann next summer.

Bud
  5. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie Supporter

Oddometer:
    The only complaint I have with Justin and TE is that they didn't give me that Dawson Edition 800GS. :evil
  6. Brendon@TMS

Brendon@TMS The Motorcycle Shop

Oddometer:
    Dawson edition? Do tell...
  7. Spousal Unit

Spousal Unit Concubine

Oddometer:
    :roflBe nice to him Fite, no doubt he was once again picking up what is left of the bike....
  8. crash!!!

crash!!! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have personally watched parrishdakar (formerly Parrish69) pick up that pig many times. He could teach a course on properly crashing and repairing a BMW with only a water bottle and zip ties. That is a hard skill to acquire!:deal
  9. vtbob

vtbob wanderer

Oddometer:
    I started this thread and would like to close it on a positive note.

Justin and I have exchanged e-mails. The snafu has been identified, he has apologized to my friend with the Adventure.

That fact that he has the gumption to do this, gives me confidence that Trails End BMW will continue to improve and obtain the goals he has set.

My best wishes.

bob
  10. Cubdriver

Cubdriver Mostly Vertical

Oddometer:
    Yyeeeaaaahhhhhh
  11. Nomads365

Nomads365 A Worldly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Guess I'll chime in here with my .02 since I happened to pop in at Trail's End last month on my Super Tenere after "doing" Deadhorse. I didn't need any service (after all, I DO ride a Yamaha :nod) but I did hunt down Justin because I'd seen his post here about hosting a post-D2D BBQ at the dealership. I figured somebody willing (crazy enough?) to do something like that must be a stand-up guy. He spent more than a few minutes of his precious time going over some local rides and places to visit I might want to check out. Thanks to him I got to visit Chena Hot Springs and the antique car museum at Fountainhead, both great stops while I killed some time in town.

And Justin introduced me to a few of the local Team Pterodactyl, including Fighter. I did have to wipe their drool off my S-T after they had a look at it and lusted over my fuel-cell in the parking lot, but that's another story..:rofl

I don't really have anything to add about the dealership service, but relationship-wise I'd have to say they're above-average in my book. Thanks Justin!
  12. ParrishDakar

ParrishDakar Face Down N Da Dirt

Oddometer:
    I've been lurking about. :hide
  13. ParrishDakar

Oddometer:
    The things I do to get a little attention! :happay
    Every dent, ding, and broken part brings back fond memories of great rides with great people! :thumb Come to think of it, taking pictures might be a cheaper way to save those memories! :scratch

Like Fite says: "Go long... go fast... take no prisoners. Ride hard or stay home!"
  14. ParrishDakar

Oddometer:
    I have to thank some of the Gruvers and Team Pterodactyl for helping put me back together and imparting some of there collective wisdom to me during D2D. :gerg
  15. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    Not to mention bestowing a really cool new nickname!:lol3:clap
  16. AJ990R

AJ990R motorcycle guy

Oddometer:
    Recently traveled through Fairbanks/Canada from the midwest, & couldn't believe the amount of random bikers I meet along the way doing the same thing I was(small window for good weather I'm betting!). Stopped @ Trails End after D2D, very friendly staff. They even offered to ship back my old jacket that was not working out. Meet random travelers there as well. That Justin guy is alright in my book!! :D I pushed off the major service on my bike until after my journey...My bike & new jacket will never be the same after two days on the Dalton...in the rain! Good times

AJ
  17. interiorak

interiorak Breathe now ... Proceed as way opens Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm a local Fairbanks rider . . . spend my time riding not reading . . so i'm late to the party . . . thought i'd chime in anyway. I have six bikes (four beemers . . . airheads to oilhead to F800.) I take my place in the service line just like any other rider . . . and that line can be long in the summertime. They work on them all equally well. Nobody i know there is twiddling their thumbs . . . especially in the riding season. Nick is a busy man who knows what he is doing. Demetri has bypassed me in line a couple of times too keep long distant riders on the road . . . always gives me a heads up as to what's happening . . . i've no problem with that. They all definitely love Harley . . . but business is business . . . and they have always been fair to me. Sorry things didn't work out well for you. Take a deep cleansing breathe . . . and just ride . . . it'll get better. Respectfully :norton
  18. tvbh40a

tvbh40a PSUViking

Oddometer:
    Idaho home of the fiesta bowl champ BSU bronco's
    It is really to bad the dealer couldn't help you out after all the previous communication.

This happened to me when I was in Alaska first of July and it was pouring rain. Seems every biker in the western hemisphere wants there bike worked on when it is cold and wet! But what he did do was tell me of a local down the road who was not that busy and would take care of me. Different brand dealer? Yup. Did he have a lift and could change my oil? Yup. Could I have done all this myself? Sure, but I was cold and tired. Did I warm up in his store and buy a few items from him while I was there, ABSOLUTELY! Will I go back to Alaska again, you bet, only with a lot more room on my credit card....
  19. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:
    Justin
    I don't own a business and not related to the OP or his friends, but if I saw 85% of my business in 3 months I would not have lower 48 hours M-Sat: 9:00 a.m. 6:00 p.m. Sun: Closed

Is this your shop http://www.outpostalaska.com/index.htm it has the same address as Trails End BMW but Trails End has no website I can find. Trail's End BMW 1450 Karen Way, Fairbanks AK 99709-4650

From the OPs post his friend called several times making sure all was ok. He gets to your place and is told it's first come first serve followed by we can't do the 6K service but we might be able to change your oil. I would be upset too if your shop treated me that way. I don't think you understand the needs and issues of your seasonal customers.

Have you ever ridden to the lower 48 from Fairbanks?
  20. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Justin's response may be delayed until after he gets back from his latest ride to the lower 48.