Android Phones

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by O-man21, Aug 12, 2011.

1. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:

Not even once yet, but android phone would crash almost daily. I used to tease iPhone users before, just like you, but call me a convert
  2. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    If your phone (no matter what kind) is crashing frequently, it's probably the hardware failing. All the smartphone platforms are pretty solid these days.
  3. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is pretty much what I figured out, too. My wife's Galaxy S was and is perfect. Her GPS works fine, the battery life is great even with bluetooth and wifi on and everything works like it should. But mine bought at the same time with the exact same software build and apps crashed constantly, always failed to accept OTA updates, battery life sucked and the GPS rarely worked. So clearly it was a hardware issue with that phone. I should have taken it back that first week as soon as I noticed it wasn't behaving well.
  4. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    Went to the Sprint store this morning.
    The new version of my EVO 4 doesn't look too great.

Galaxy S3 looks good but it's bigger than the phone I have now.

Been looking into waiting a month or so and checking out a Blackberry 10.
    Looks ok but i don't know what apps will be available for it.
  5. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan

Oddometer:
    BlackBerry 10 will either save RIM or it'll be the last thing they ever do.

It's a big gamble. I lost out once when I spent huge money on the Nokia N900. It was one of the best phones ever made, but a few months after it was released Nokia decided to stop development on the operating system. The phone still works, but never became what it should have.

I think a lot of BB fans will wait and see before buying into 10 and if it's not all it's claimed to be, and isn't as good as iOS or Android, there's no way RIM will recover, and you could be left with an unsupported buggy phone.

Or not. Who the hell knows! :D
  6. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is how I see it too, it will save them or they are done.
    I'll see how it looks, and if its good I'll gamble on it.
  7. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan

Oddometer:
    The problem is a few of their big selling-points are server based (BB messenger for example) so if the company goes under, there's a good chance you'll lose functionality.

Apps aren't a concern for me. I'm a huge geek and I have maybe 25 apps installed. As long as the "big" apps are present like Skype, Evernote and Instagram they'll be fine. Somehow people put too much importance on whether an OS has 700,000 apps, much like megapixels are how cameras are judged.
  8. nick2ny

nick2ny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Howdy--I am taking part in the Taste of Dakar next week (2 day off-road ride in Nevada, with GPX routes) on a DR650, and want to use my Galaxy Nexus for navigation.

First, what app should I be using to run the GPS routes?

Second, how should I mount the phone? From this thread, it looks like an aqua box makes the phone overheat.

Maybe I can just use an X-Grip RAM phone mount? will that be a terrible idea?

[​IMG]
  9. muguvian

muguvian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got both mounts; Aquabox makes the viewing in bright daylight slightly more difficult but not terrible. Heat can be a problem if air temp is above 65F or so. The X-grip works very well but it may make you nervous the first time unless it is rotated into landscape mode (two arms are underneath and you're not relying on friction alone). I did a 2500-mile trip with it in both orientations and had zero trouble. I even recorded stable video on my phone in portrait mode on Deal's Gap and Cherahola Skyway runs. Only problem is moisture.
  10. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ive never had my X-Grip fail me......even during a get off - the phone was still there. I would grab an X-Grip.....I love the design and its so handy to pop in and out.
  11. nick2ny

nick2ny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the responses, guys! I'm going to pick one up today. But... which mount? I'm going to be using it on a DR650 and a 90's Ducati 900SS.

This one appeals, but I also realize that you guys know all the secrets. Is there a better option!?
  12. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ive always bought from GPS City......they let you mix and match or buy as a package - alot of option and it can be overwhelming.

They have great reputation and super quick shipping.

http://www.gpscity.com/rammounts

On my KLR I went with a bar clamp setup.....I think it gives you more options for placement. Im not quite sure, looking at the picture, how the one you linked to mounts.

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-universal-x-grip-zinc-u-bolt-rail-mount-ram-b-149z-un7u.html

[​IMG]
  13. muguvian

muguvian Been here awhile

Oddometer:

That's the one I use, but it is on a 1400GTR (no handlebars) and is mounted to the brake m/c clamp. On the DR you'd probably want to mount it to the crossbar with the u-bolt version or even on a Go-Pro stick-on mount somewhere on the tank.
  14. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had/used Android phones before, and was never overly impressed. Then about 3 weeks ago I sent my HD7 through the washing machine. Yes, a full cycle. Needless to say, it died.

My buddy works for T-Mobile, and sold me his "old" (read; nearly brand new) HTC One S for a GREAT price. Man, am I loving this thing. I don't use my phone for much fancy stuff usually, but this thing is quite the amazing piece of equipment!

And the GoPro app that lets me control my Hero3 with a video preview is uber neat-o too :clap
  15. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    I've had a Nexus 4 for a couple of weeks and i'm loving it.

Not rooted, all stock.
  16. keyzard

keyzard Falls over a lot....

Oddometer:
    2nd that!! My Nexus 4 is my 6th android phone.....they really got it right this time. The performance is really impressive......
  17. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:
    If there was a micro sd card, I'd probably have one now. I'm not into streaming my music from the Web. I have over 60 gigs of music that I'm constantly adding to and editing out. I do this by star ratings, play count, skip counts and play lists in iTunes. From what I've seen there's no comparable way to curate a collection like that with any of the streaming content. Plus when I'm out in the country with little to no Web Access I don't want to lose my collection.

I feel like Google is being appleish by refusing to include an sd card slot because they think people should use streaming services.
  18. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are being apple-ish with regards to sd cards, but not because of streaming, but because it's too keep the experience simpler.
    https://plus.google.com/114892667463719782631/posts/JAAMUzx1PFX

I think that's a dumb choice for a nexus device, but there are plenty of other devices with sd cards... Not like google isn't allowing them....
  19. inyang

inyang 5secs away

Oddometer:

I have been an iPhone user from the first one. Switching over to Android this month.

The low memory/no SD card design only makes sense to me if you consider Google's business model. They need you to use online services. And be exposed to ads you may click on.
  20. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're absolutely right about there being plenty of other phones to choose from, but the stripped down android os with timely updates is an huge draw for the nexus 4.