Ideal group size for an adventure trip?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by basketcase, Jan 26, 2010.

1. basketcase

basketcase lifelong reject fixer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Solo, as in, a group unto oneself?

Or is --

2 riders

4 riders

or more, better?

What say ye?
  2. kootenay kid

kootenay kid Lets Ride

Oddometer:
    Personally I think 2 is perfect, as in yourself and 1 other Buddy. As the group gets bigger the problems start, its just simple math really. It also depends on how long you're going for too. A large group for any amount of time just doesnt work. My wife says its me thats the problem but of course she's wrong. :1drink
  3. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Let's define 'adventure trip' first. :D
  4. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think he's talking about 'shrooms :choppa
  5. basketcase

basketcase lifelong reject fixer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Certainly not a cruiser-dude herd-ride to the local greasy spoon on bike nite. :lol3

When I posted the question I was thinking more of knobbies, dirt, tents and other such stuff. As in heading through a wilderness area on a ride far enough to be out of cell phone range and long enough to require several nights to a week camping.

:brow
  6. Arte

Arte Pata de Perro

Oddometer:
    One time we were riding from Real de Catorce to Reynosa.
    Some 400 miles.
    Ten (10) riders.
    The plan was to ride straight home, just stop to gas, pee, eat.

total time? 13 hours :eek1

never doit again. :lol3

arte
  7. Global Rider

Global Rider Alps Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Canada & the Alps - N 46° 31.714' E 010° 27.212'
    Yes, lets.

Solo...or one other at most if you can't stand being alone.
  8. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    I think kk gave a good post.
    The more than 'one' gives a safety, if that's what you want. Beyond two, your potential problems take on funny expotential math.
  9. tele-steve

tele-steve ya' mon

Oddometer:
    The Peoples Republic- Rocky Mountain Edition
    When you are by yourself you have no one to laugh at you when you do something stupid.
    2 people is fine.
    3 people is good as long you know who they are and everyone gets along.
    4 people... you better know them REALLY well and be willing to split up into smaller groups if circumstances allow.
    5+... I try to avoid at all costs or really lower my expectations.
  10. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    2 is perfect, the second is just for safety.
  11. TwoShots

TwoShots Vagabond

Oddometer:
    By all means solo if going into truly remote locations - remote meaning areas where having to walk out would take more than a day. A SPOT with a little planning is all that is needed to take the edge off.

I've done remote areas of UT with one or two others, but don't anymore. More often than not they make so much noise while off the bike that its hard to take in and really enjoy the environment.
  12. Tseta

Tseta Lost

Oddometer:
    I think that 3 riders (total) is a good group size. The logic behind this is as follows:

Something bad (injury or such) happens to rider A.

-If you are rider A, and there is nobody there, you have to rely solely upon yourself.

-If there are two riders, rider B will have to make the decision between staying with and helping rider A or going for help. In a critical situation, lifesaving first aid will surely be given first, but what then? If the patient can't be moved with the bike, you have to hope that somebody will eventually come along or that you are within cellphone/spot/satphone etc. coverage. Or rider B goes to get help. What if rider A's situation suddenly gets worse?

-With three riders, rider B can stay and help rider A, while rider C goes for additional help.

This logic obviously applies/is more important in remote locations.

Cheers,

Tseta
  13. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    The fewer riders, the fewer times the adventure pauses due to a mechanical breakdown, physical problems, or personal issues.
  14. BoulderGuy

BoulderGuy out ridin'....

Oddometer:
    2 or 3 is reasonable. I prefer 3, so that when someone crashes, 2 people can pick up the bike while the third takes photos to e-mail to all your friends. Any more than 2 or 3 and it's like hearding cats.
  15. DNTOUCH

DNTOUCH Need more time to ride.

Oddometer:
    I agree with about all of that ^,, also just make sure "all" three get along. I know i may get along with those two people but the #2 and #3 person may not as get along as much and that will get usually progressively worse as the ride continues.

Seems that when you have more than 2 you get additional ideas also, some good some bad but it makes the ride a bit more lively especially when camping or stopped. I know i can get bored with someone after some time together but thats another story and rare i guess. ( i'm kinda self reflecting right now )

So my vote is three.
  16. Global Rider

Global Rider Alps Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Canada & the Alps - N 46° 31.714' E 010° 27.212'
    True, which is why I will have both a sat phone and Personal Locator Beacon on me.

The trouble with sending someone for help instead of signaling someone for help is that it takes extra time; time that you may not have.
  17. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    Max of four, three is better, two is better still, one is the best.

In my experience it's pretty rare to find a rider that rides your exact pace, very rare to find two, and impossible to find three others.

A four (or more) man ride usually will split into two groups after a while in my experience.

The only time I'm never waiting for (or being waited for by) someone else is riding solo.

Thanks
    CA Stu
  18. swedeonabike

swedeonabike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its more of an adventure by yourself. but one other can be nice on real long rides
  19. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    We've tried many numbers on long multi day rides (On road, no dirt).

Three has proved to be the maximum number for us.

Two is best.

In groups of three even we find two of us WAY in front and one always behind.

In groups of more than three we never wait, we just set a target meeting place for the next stop.

In one full day, all setting off at the same time and getting gas together two of us got to the target meeting place FOUR HOURS before the other five riders, and no one broke down or crashed, it just took them that long!

In a party of seven the gas stops lasted on average ONE HOUR! Lunch stops lasted on average TWO HOURS!

Funny thing is everyone in the group (7) was gung ho to go at 7am in the morning, I suspect 'not wanting to hold anyone up'. Even in camp sites when we had to pack everything up, go figure.

After checking in at a motel with the group (7) (takes one hour or more) dinner plans take another hour and dinner takes two to three hours.

This is just our experience, we consider oursleves to be easy to get along with, your mileage may vary.
  20. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Plus One 100%
    The three person cadre worked well for the Viet Cong and NVA, was the basis of their guerilla strategy during the war. Very effective in war and in travel for all the reasons Tseta states above. The Triangle is very strong, yet fast, mobile and flexible.

With four it always ends up two against two = Division.

More than four becomes a tour with endless delays, hours spent in restaurants and sometimes hard to get rooms.