Any Mountain Bikers?

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Yellow Pig, Sep 21, 2011.

1. _CJ

_CJ Sitting on pins and needles

Oddometer:
    When people ask what kind of bike I'm riding, I just point to the sticker on the frame.

[​IMG]

:lol3
  2. Bike4Fun

Bike4Fun Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer:

Valmont is a fun place. I've been there several times and had my odo say I rode 12 miles which I thought was shocking since its not a huge place.
  3. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Since this worked so well for shoes (thanks again Rob :freaky)

Does anyone know a front range shop that stocks either Bell's Super helmet or POC's Trabec?
    tia
  4. Bike4Fun

Bike4Fun Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer:
  5. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'm looking for dealers that stock those models specifically, hence why looking for local knowledge.
    I've been to several shops that sell the brands but do not stock inventory.
    I'm happy to support an LBS that has what I want (and need to try on).
  6. Bike4Fun

Bike4Fun Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer:
    well I've been to several stores via those links and was successful. You know how I did it? I put in my zip, got a phone number and called the shop :lol3
  7. jjmead1

jjmead1 now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer:
    Geek,

Just ordered a 24" cruiser bike for Valmont. If you want to test out the limits of your insurance with me we can hit th pump track anytime. Work our way up to the A dirt jump line..........

Think adult BMX bike.....:wink:
  8. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Jason: funny you should mention that.. I think our incidental accident insurance actually comes online November 1st (for some reason Cheryl tought it a good idea to augment our regular health insurance now that I'm riding my bicycle so much) :dunno :rofl

We rode Blue Sky and Indian Summer today - it was gorgeous! The dirt was just the right amount of tacky.

I had a "first" for me personally on the Yeti. I built up a bunch of speed in a flow section and there was a drop into a fast and smooth g-out at the bottom. When I hit the bottom I compressed the suspension with my feet (had the dropper down, leaning way over the back) and the bike actually accelerated as the suspension compressed/decompressed (I could feel the pull) and the front got light and started to wheelie :eek1 ! I finally now understand how those guys are lofting the front coming out of the corners - they are going really farkin' fast and basically "pumping" the bike to accelerate. I'm guessing some time on the pump track can better help me figure out how to accelerate more like this (or put me in the hospital).

I'm sure you fast guys are doing stuff like this all the time but it sure made me giggle like a little girl :ricky

[​IMG]
  9. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    We watched the Redbull Rampage live when it was broadcast.. but watching this helmet cam really brings home how insane it was.

This is the New Zealand guy (Kelly McGarry) that came in 2nd (and the only guy to backflip the 72 foot gap).

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/x76VEPXYaI0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  10. GS Spirit

GS Spirit Downsizing

Oddometer:
    I really want a new mountain bike but damn they are expensive for a full suspension...well the ones that catch my interest anyway. When I look at my KTM 450 EXC then think about the prices I just cant do it. Wanted to get a new fork for my old bike and call it good but hard to find a good fork that is for the old style brakes with non tapered head tube. I will keep looking considering I am not riding the bike that much. I might sell some stuff I am not using and see if that helps me get closer. Until then I will just pedal my old trek 930 hard tail with a crappy fork.
  11. terry.mc

terry.mc Stop ruining my vacation Supporter

Oddometer:
    Geek I was out about 2 hours later than you the other day when it got cold. Temps went from like 48 to 34 in about an hour. I was in some synthetics and did OK, but I wish I had worn my leg warmers. They make a huge difference for me and are easy to store/put on/take off. The look as stupid as can be though.

Anyone here riding the backcountry trails in highlands ranch? They are pretty fun (not exactly epic, but fun) and I can ride to the trailhead from my house, which is more than I can say for most trails and make the fun more fun...
  12. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    I picked up some leg warmers, arm warmers and an under-helmet beanie. Al pack really small and light.. I stuck them in my camel back and will forget about them until the next time I get caught out. :thumb
  13. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    For the tubeless guys running Stans sealant:

Do you add more Stans over the life of a tire?
    If so.. what is the trigger for when you do (by date? ride count? when the tire leaks?)
    How much do you add?
  14. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    By date. Depends on how quick you go through tires, but I find once in the beginning and once towards the middle/end of the season is usually good if I'm using it often. I find if you let the bike sit too long and the tires start to deflate a little then it dries out much faster. Good idea to at least spin 'em every week or so and keep them aired during the off season. Typically in spring I'll pull 'em off and clean it all out before adding more.
  15. jjmead1

jjmead1 now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer:
    Actually by sound. If you take the tire off and shake it you should hear Stan's sloshing. If not, then add. You may also hear a little ball rattling in there, that is a dried up Stan's glob. Another reason to add in more.

How to add Stan's. No. Don't by the injector if you have a compressor. Just pop open the bead about 4" and dump some in. This way you can grab out the Stan's ball if one is in there. Reset tire into bead and seat it.

No Compresor? The injector works well.

Add just a bit over 2 oz.

Geek,

Pumping rollers is free speed. Use that trick to pull away from people "coasting". Funny, I had to remember to compress my moto when I first started riding. I mistakenly thought you just sat on the thing and twisted your right hand.
  16. GnarlyKarle

GnarlyKarle aka: ici_moto

Oddometer:
    <iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/77502064" width="500" height="281" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
  17. 309

309 Special Purpose

Oddometer:
    There is middle ground between FS and rigid. The "All Mountain Hardtail" has been gaining popularity for good reason. They are just super fun to ride. After building mine my Stumpjumper FSR just sat in the garage until I finally sold it.

A hardtail with a big adjustable travel fork allows me to ride everything from technical trails to pump tracks. It may be a "master of none", but it suits me just fine.

[​IMG]
  18. GS Spirit

GS Spirit Downsizing

Oddometer:
    Nice ride!
    yesterday I found a new 100mm fork for my bike that should work for now I am so psyched.
  19. GS Spirit

GS Spirit Downsizing

Oddometer:
  20. GS Spirit

GS Spirit Downsizing

Oddometer: