ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2014, 04:19 PM   #91
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,661
Crazy. Just plain crazy.

S.C.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:45 PM   #92
Reidy008 OP
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 1,967
Ride Report

Ok guys there isn't many pics to create a ride report so I am going to use Slowreds as this actually shows what we rode. Take a look here for what it looks like in the day time thanks to our pre run guys.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1004280

Now here is the only video I took for the night. After watching it I think I need more light as you will see the difference between my helmet light and the lights the guys have on their bikes. Two good crashes due to washouts that I didn't see in time can attest to this.

I know Cyberdos has some pics so hopefully he will add them here.

So our night started out different than we thought as KTMser had a blow out on his trailer not long after he left his house so he and his son ended up riding their bikes out to the staging area. We hit the trail just as it was getting dark and made quick work of it to CK rock. The dust was bad which we had not expected due to the recent rains. The side by sides were worse and we battled about 10 of them all traveling together and then at the first nasty spot up the back way there were two four wheel drives that were hung up at a ledge on a hard right who were coming down the back way and they were head to head all jammed up.

We picked our way past and that would be the last of any traffic we would see. The trip up the back way was a blast and the recent rains made it super fun in spots and the bikes were dirt napping often and sometimes in spectacular fashion. The loop out by Sam on his 400 while trying his second attempt up the rock steps was awesome and he launched the bike high and hard which I just missed before getting the go pro turned on. You can see where it ended up in the video. While he was doing that Dusty on his SE was taking a few dirt naps trying to go up the right side route and it was pretty much carnage there for a while.

The rest of the trip up moved pretty nicely and quickly and we were at the Mill by 9.30 which meant under 2 hours to get there. I waited to make sure everyone got up to the road into Crown King and was following Cyberdos in to the Mill and while looking off at some trucks and jeeps to the right of the road I missed a big washout across the road and took a nice trip over the bars about 100 yards from the Mill entrance. When we got to the Mill I realized my go pro was missing and had to run back and get it off the road. The mount arm broke in the crash. Nicely played after all we had done coming up to biff it 100 yards out. That road is real hard by the way.

After Dinner and recharging the helmet light battery packs a few of us where running we headed out with a plan to do Ryland Creek out but the ride down Senator Hwy to Wagner saw Cyberdos have a big off when he got crossed up in some ruts and then our night changing off was Dusty taking a huge hit on his 950 SE while running pretty fast and getting turned side ways in some huge ruts. After this we had to stick to the original plan of taking Wagner Rd out to 89 and we got him and Cyberdos pointed back to the staging area from Yarnell where the remaining four of us headed down the dirt route. We spent some time riding around looking for a connecting trail to the one we should have been on and I managed to hit the wrong side of a big wash out and endo the bike. Got lucky and no damage or injury. After we found our way through it was after 4am and we rode the dirt to Wickenberg where KTMser and Sam would hit 60 to head home and I rode back to the staging area with the lone surviver of the 6 with me and we got him loaded up and I rode home. Fun times with many stories to share around the camp fire. I rode out of my house at 6.15pm and pulled into the rode back into the garage at just after 5am. Who's up for the next one?
Reidy008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:27 PM   #93
fanatic291
Desert Tortoise

Oddometer: 565
That video was awesome. Taking it in the dark made it look super gnarly.
fanatic291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:28 PM   #94
Slowred
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Uh...technically speaking, it takes a much greater impact to break your scapula. Ask me how I know...
Slowred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:32 PM   #95
DOD
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,243
Sounds like a standard Reidy008 outing. Only thing missing was a runin with the popo.

Heal fast Dusty! I've been under an SE at speed. No fun.

-dod
Old 08-24-2014, 07:59 PM   #96
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidy008 View Post
Who's up for the next one?
Wish I could have made this one, but it sounds like it was a good thing I didn't. No use risking further/worse injury. And hopefully I'll have my bike powered helmet light ready by the next one.

Dusty - Any idea if the hit to the ground or the hit from the SE did the scapula damage? No bueno either way.

Yardstick screwed with this post 08-24-2014 at 08:59 PM
Yardstick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:49 PM   #97
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 1,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowred View Post
Uh...technically speaking, it takes a much greater impact to break your scapula. Ask me how I know...
+1,

Scapula fractures are a big red flag for the trauma docs. The forces needed to fracture the shoulder blade are severe and often times associated with other "serious" traumatic injuries (pulmonary bruising, rib fractures, kidney injury, to list a few).

Must have been an impressive dismount and landing!
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:49 PM   #98
Dustyaz1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardstick View Post
:
Dusty - Any idea if the hit to the ground or the hit from the SE did the scapula damage? No bueno either way.

It was me hitting the ground and yes the doctor said it takes a very hard impact to break a scapula. It was an amazing group of riders that stuck with me the entire ride. Thank you advriders for helping me and making sure I got home with no further injuries.
Dustyaz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:35 AM   #99
azredline
Wobbly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
I'm busy that night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reidy008 View Post
I rode out of my house at 6.15pm and pulled into the rode back into the garage at just after 5am. Who's up for the next one?
That must have been some ride. I have enough trouble staying out of the ruts in the daylight so I think I'll renew my AARP membership and stay home for these melees.

Looks like Dusty will be the trophy holder for a while. Glad you're ok!
Old 08-25-2014, 10:06 AM   #100
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by azredline View Post
That must have been some ride. I have enough trouble staying out of the ruts in the daylight so I think I'll renew my AARP membership and stay home for these melees.

Looks like Dusty will be the trophy holder for a while. Glad you're ok!
I agree with Steve........you guys can have them night rides!

I'm sure you will all have a re-do in a couple of weeks.....
Old 08-25-2014, 10:49 AM   #101
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 24,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by refokus View Post
I agree with Steve........you guys can have them night rides!

I'm sure you will all have a re-do in a couple of weeks.....
Sorry, I have something I have to do that night.

Hey Drew, I thought you were going to post your stuff in slowred's thread? I added my stuff there.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:18 AM   #102
Reidy008 OP
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 1,967
I can do that. I was probably still sleepy when I did the write up.
Reidy008 is online now   Reply With Quote