User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2014, 10:57 AM   #1
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,046
Idiot "cager" thread?

We have a couple very popular long term threads: The one started by Dakez about commuting, another one about "Stupid things people say to you when stopped". I think we need one about Idiot Cagers! And I'll be happy to start it.

I'm on my way to the cigar shop this morning riding my old beemer. I'm in the middle lane, another lane to my left both going straight. There is a third lane to my right, but it ends shortly after clearing the intersection, however quite a few people use it because they intend to enter one of the small businesses that exist just after the intersection, including a Shell service station. So, as I'm waiting for the light, I notice an older Ford Windstar pull up next to me on the right and figure they're probably going to stop for gas. Light changes, we all proceed forward, except the Windstar keeps going straight, then, with no turn signal, simply swerves to the left, cutting me off. I had to brake pretty hard to avoid being hit....I raise my left hand in the air in the WTF? gesture, but get no response. I check my mirrors and see a Phx. patrol car two cars back and think "You guys had to see the whole thing...go get that Windstar"......They didn't make a move.

As luck would have it, the Windstar gets caught at the next intersection by another light and since I'm turning left I pulled up right next to the driver whose window is down. What I see is a fat hispanic woman, talking on a cell phone, and at least four kids in the backseat doing their best to create as much havoc as possible. I say "What the hell, you didn't see me back there?" What I get is this stupid, wide eyed look, like 'why is this guy upset and where did he come from'? I continue to suggest that "she might want to turn off her damn cell phone and pay more attention to her driving before she kills someone"......I don't even know if she understood me.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
TortillaJesus
Authentic

Oddometer: 3,361
Look at all of those goddamn words.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:27 AM   #3
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,293
Everyone drives like that around here, nothing to get worked up about!
Every merge lane is a pass on the right lane around here.
Many intersections have that right lane that ends, sometimes there are stores/driveways, sometimes not, many people will use the right turn lane at the red light to pass the slow poke bozo's in the correct lane.
Some people in the correct (center) lane will race the people in the right turn lane to block them, but other smucks will leave a space the right lane passer can slip into. But sometimes not.
You have people going really fast, and/or cutting in, or even turning right, its a zoo, all the while half of the people are texting and eating.

This just started around you? Its been SOP here for a long time.

Its sometimes fun to get in that right lane, but NOT turn right, or take off fast, but take of VERY slow, to block the people who want to pass on the right.
Or, race the right lane passers if you have something fast.

This is all normal, along with the people who just change lanes into you, or look at you and pull out, along with the lane drifters, double yellow line crossers and red light running, going slow in the left lane texters.

No reason to get worked up about it, but use it for your own amusement.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:34 AM   #4
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortillaJesus View Post
Oh, hombre, lo siento si usted tambien es Latino. Ojala que no manejas como ella!
Old 08-08-2014, 12:26 PM   #5
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
we get a lot of going straight out of turn-only lanes...and turning out of straight-only lanes...and even turning left out of right turn only lanes (and vice-versa around here, too).

(if there is going to be traffic law enforcement, those are the people who should be targeted...not people who are driving safely, but above some absurdly low artificial speed limit. yet, enforcement seems to be targeted at speeders while completely ignoring people who are doing dangerous stuff like cutting people off while going straight out of turn-only lanes.)

we also get assholes who get in a left turn lane, but then decide they want to go straight, so they sit through an entire green arrow waiting for the straight lanes to have a green light so they can cut back in that line and go straight...thereby screwing all the people behind them who miss their turn to turn left at the arrow. (those people are why we should be allowed to carry--and use--RPGs while riding/driving. )
Old 08-08-2014, 12:40 PM   #6
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
we get a lot of going straight out of turn-only lanes...and turning out of straight-only lanes...and even turning left out of right turn only lanes (and vice-versa around here, too).

(if there is going to be traffic law enforcement, those are the people who should be targeted...not people who are driving safely, but above some absurdly low artificial speed limit. yet, enforcement seems to be targeted at speeders while completely ignoring people who are doing dangerous stuff like cutting people off while going straight out of turn-only lanes.)

we also get assholes who get in a left turn lane, but then decide they want to go straight, so they sit through an entire green arrow waiting for the straight lanes to have a green light so they can cut back in that line and go straight...thereby screwing all the people behind them who miss their turn to turn left at the arrow. (those people are why we should be allowed to carry--and use--RPGs while riding/driving. )
RPG wouldn't do it, I propose a bulldoze-by-hire service provided by our nation's tractor trailer drivers
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:44 PM   #7
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Everyone drives like that around here, nothing to get worked up about!
Every merge lane is a pass on the right lane around here.
Many intersections have that right lane that ends, sometimes there are stores/driveways, sometimes not, many people will use the right turn lane at the red light to pass the slow poke bozo's in the correct lane.
Some people in the correct (center) lane will race the people in the right turn lane to block them, but other smucks will leave a space the right lane passer can slip into. But sometimes not.
You have people going really fast, and/or cutting in, or even turning right, its a zoo, all the while half of the people are texting and eating.

This just started around you? Its been SOP here for a long time.

Its sometimes fun to get in that right lane, but NOT turn right, or take off fast, but take of VERY slow, to block the people who want to pass on the right.
Or, race the right lane passers if you have something fast.

This is all normal, along with the people who just change lanes into you, or look at you and pull out, along with the lane drifters, double yellow line crossers and red light running, going slow in the left lane texters.

No reason to get worked up about it, but use it for your own amusement.
Probably good advice Brett. Thanks for the perspective. I know anyone can make an honest mistake; it does piss me off however when some twatwaffle isn't even trying to be careful and in the process nearly hits me. Rant over.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:56 PM   #8
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
We have a couple very popular long term threads: The one started by Dakez about commuting, another one about "Stupid things people say to you when stopped". I think we need one about Idiot Cagers! And I'll be happy to start it.

I'm on my way to the cigar shop this morning riding my old beemer. I'm in the middle lane, another lane to my left both going straight. There is a third lane to my right, but it ends shortly after clearing the intersection, however quite a few people use it because they intend to enter one of the small businesses that exist just after the intersection, including a Shell service station. So, as I'm waiting for the light, I notice an older Ford Windstar pull up next to me on the right and figure they're probably going to stop for gas. Light changes, we all proceed forward, except the Windstar keeps going straight, then, with no turn signal, simply swerves to the left, cutting me off. I had to brake pretty hard to avoid being hit....I raise my left hand in the air in the WTF? gesture, but get no response. I check my mirrors and see a Phx. patrol car two cars back and think "You guys had to see the whole thing...go get that Windstar"......They didn't make a move.

As luck would have it, the Windstar gets caught at the next intersection by another light and since I'm turning left I pulled up right next to the driver whose window is down. What I see is a fat hispanic woman, talking on a cell phone, and at least four kids in the backseat doing their best to create as much havoc as possible. I say "What the hell, you didn't see me back there?" What I get is this stupid, wide eyed look, like 'why is this guy upset and where did he come from'? I continue to suggest that "she might want to turn off her damn cell phone and pay more attention to her driving before she kills someone"......I don't even know if she understood me.

So...just a question....was this your first time riding a motorcycle, or, for that matter, being on public roads?

PS...in the lane situation you described, ALWAYS assume the person in the lane that ends doesn't know that/is planning on cutting you off/doesn't care and will force their way over. However you had the trump card -- you're on a motorcycle -- you should have been 100 feet ahead of the bitch before her lane ended if you were both at the front of the line!

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:14 PM   #9
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
So...just a question....was this your first time riding a motorcycle, or, for that matter, being on public roads?

PS...in the lane situation you described, ALWAYS assume the person in the lane that ends doesn't know that/is planning on cutting you off/doesn't care and will force their way over. However you had the trump card -- you're on a motorcycle -- you should have been 100 feet ahead of the bitch before her lane ended if you were both at the front of the line!
Damn Lucifer....no, I've been riding for more than 30 years, to answer your first question.....almost all on public roads. Except for 3 years after I retired when I rode primarily dirt in Wyoming two summers and 7 months around Moab. And I might add, I've never had an accident involving another vehicle, so I must be doing something right.......like anticipating this bitch might go straight, not "assuming" that she was going to turn into one of the businesses after the intersection.

With re to your PS statement: I couldn't agree with you more. I stand corrected and appreciate the consultation and advice. My only defense is that I was riding my 26 yr. old K75 (which I love) and I don't like to flog her if not necessary. Had I been on the new DL1000.......whole different story and I wouldn't have posted
Old 08-08-2014, 07:07 PM   #10
stupermotard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
I have a question. Is this your first time on the internet, or are you just a troll?

Maybe we should have an idiot commenter thread.
stupermotard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:36 PM   #11
SmithSwede
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
If it were me, I'd be more irritated by the do nothing cops.

This has become a real pet peeve of mine over the last few years. I witness a lot of mindless speed enforcement (especially state troopers policing a 65 mph limit on low traffic, rural interstate I-20). They are all over that! Not unusual to see 3 or 4 separate cars along a 10 mile stretch. Same thing in town. They are all over the spot where a single sign shows limit dropped from 45 to 30.

But when it comes to people aggressively changing lanes, tail gaters, squatting in left lane, texters who wander halfway into adjacent lane, trucks dropping crap on roadway, etc.? Nothing. Cop is right there. Has to see it. Takes no action.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:52 PM   #12
Solarbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
I was at a light at an intersection last week, watching my six for the car behind me to pull up when all of a sudden I hear a roaring four banger fart can and tires just a squealing. Last phucking thing a biker wants to hear.

This punk kid in a honda civic has decided to drift the entire god damned corner from one street onto another right in front of me and i damned near ditched my bike as he flew right by me and slammed into the car behind me. Missed me by maybe two feet.

It all happened in about one flash, not even enough time to crap my pants but just enough time to clench. Cops came and interviewed everyone and the cop said I was lucky to not have been crushed and all I could say was, "No shet".
Solarbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:47 AM   #13
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,739
Quote:

As a long-time rider you ought to realize that incidents with idiot cagers happen all the time and the best way to deal with it is to be aware and not let it turn into a potential road rage situation. Seems like this is the umpteenth thread where you've gotten publicly upset with another driver. Maybe counseling in anger management might be a thought.

Suppose that "fat hispanic woman" had been a "fat hispanic man with a Glock and an attitude".

You probably could have gotten more, uh, dialog if you'd stepped back and discussed this hazardous traffic and enforcement situation with the police officers a couple of cars back. But that would have required a liberal dose of cojones, no?

Just sayin'...

--Bill
Old 08-09-2014, 05:01 AM   #14
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by TortillaJesus View Post
Here ya go:

https://secure.hookedonphonics.com/o...Fehj7Aod_AYA0g

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:24 AM   #15
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,968
Quote:
. My only defense is that I was riding my 26 yr. old K75 (which I love) and I don't like to flog her if not necessary. Had I been on the new DL1000.......whole different story and I wouldn't have posted

Say no more...

I commuted on a Ninja 250 occasionally while I owned it. Quick-ish little bike, but if you wanted to put yourself significantly ahead of traffic you were going to have a bad time.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote