Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2014, 11:19 AM   #1
TheDesertOtter OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Question Moving to Vancouver-- Wisdom?

Hey, All--

I'm moving from Southern California to Vancouver BC to take a job in September, and I'm bringing my 1200 GSA with me. I'll have six months up there, maybe more.

Anyone care to enlighten me with their favorite roads, trails, worthy drinking establishments? What do I have to look forward to?

Apart from rain, of course...

Thanks, gang!

--D
TheDesertOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:16 PM   #2
NuclearTester
n00b

Oddometer: 9
If you want Vancouver BC specific information, you would probably be better served by this regional forum: http://www.bcsportbikes.com/ Most of the people on their forum are from Vancouver. I'm one of them.
I could probably answer most of Vancouver related questions, but you'd have to be more specific.
NuclearTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:47 PM   #3
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
Also dualsportbc.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:22 PM   #4
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,097
get here in Sept?
maybe 2-3 months decent riding.
not much fun after that.
you can commute within Vancouver almost year round. the areas outside of Vancouver become snow bound, more or less.

trails- lots of them. all over the place.
watch for logging trucks. extremely dangerous.
you can reach nice backcountry scenery 20 minutes north of Vancouver.
backroadmapbooks of BC is your friend, for off road adventure maps.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:21 PM   #5
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,757
Bring lots of $$$$

Your cost of living is going to jump significantly. No more cheap beer, milk or cheese. Or gas and insurance..etc.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:01 PM   #6
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamalama View Post
watch for logging trucks. extremely dangerous.
Logging trucks aren't dangerous. People that don't know what to do when they encounter one are.

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:58 PM   #7
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,780
Get a Nexus card so you can pop back and forth across the border easily. Good riding just south of the border in WA state.

The Duffy Lake loop north of Whistler leads to all sorts of gnarly dual sport goodness. The Okanagan is a few hours east, and a couple more gets you into the Rockies, both areas have great riding.

You can do a Hyder/southern Yukon/Alcan loop in a long weekend from Vancouver too
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #8
squiffynimrod
maximum shrinkage

Oddometer: 1,187
BC= Bring Cash.

That is all.
BECAUSE IT'S SECRET SANTA TIME!!
squiffynimrod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:21 AM   #9
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by squiffynimrod View Post
BC= Bring Cash.

That is all.

Now you tell me, I thought it was Best of Canada.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:02 PM   #10
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
Now you tell me, I thought it was Best of Canada.
No, no, it means Bitch & Complain!
Old 08-10-2014, 02:06 PM   #11
Patrol
VALE 46!

Oddometer: 1,364
Don't waste a day. From Vancouver you are within striking distance of some of the world's best rides and destinations.

Ride to the Yukon and Alaska.

Eat at Lumiere.

Ride to Banff, Lake Louise, etc etc etc.

Take the ferry to Victoria and ride around for a weekend.

Bring tons of money. The Nexus card suggestion is a good one too.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:09 PM   #12
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDesertOtter View Post
Hey, All--

I'm moving from Southern California to Vancouver BC to take a job in September, and I'm bringing my 1200 GSA with me. I'll have six months up there, maybe more.

Anyone care to enlighten me with their favorite roads, trails, worthy drinking establishments? What do I have to look forward to?

Apart from rain, of course...

Thanks, gang!

--D
So, 6 months starting September. Realize that the Pacific North West [Seattle/Vancouver/Victoria] has a nice riding weather window of April 1st to Halloween, with a possible week or two into November. Then it gets cold [40f nights- 40f days] and rainy through till mid March. Often there will be a bright cold sunny week or two in January/February [20-40F]. Definitely the weather window does not compare to where you are coming from. Lets just say your heated grips will coming handy after Oct 15th-ish. Realize that there is better weather to be had the farther west and south in Metro Vancouver mainly because of the corralling of clouds of the eastern valley.

Our selection of great street motorcycle roads is limited compared to California. The roads we have are decent, but serious street riders head into Washington, Oregon, and northern California every time. The posted speed limits are notoriously under rated, especially within south-west BC, and with our 40km/hr [25mph] over posted instant roadside impound for a week system, one has to be careful. There is a huge selection of offroad riding, but again, after mid December, they may get snow cover.

There is a renaissance in the craft brewing area here, you will not be disappointed. It's taken a while for the palate to be educated to fine ales, and the laws to be changed to allow tasting rooms at micro breweries. But it's here now, and we've caught up to Washington state but still follow Oregon. Metro Vancouver has an astounding array of eateries, because of the ethnic mix we have. You can travel the world culinary wise.
BTW, as I write this, it's 91F in my back yard, eastern suburb of Metro Van, Surrey.

A lot of references to bring cash. I've been to southern Cal recently. I can say that you will notice expensive gasoline [taxes], vehicle insurance [mandatory govt. insurance] , and rent/housing if you live inside Vancouver city proper. After that, you'll do fine, especially if you are being paid in U.S. currency.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:34 PM   #13
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker View Post
Logging trucks aren't dangerous. People that don't know what to do when they encounter one are.
Righty-O.
I stand corrected.

yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:56 PM   #14
trevorf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
So, 6 months starting September. Realize that the Pacific North West [Seattle/Vancouver/Victoria] has a nice riding weather window of April 1st to Halloween, with a possible week or two into November. Then it gets cold [40f nights- 40f days] and rainy through till mid March. Often there will be a bright cold sunny week or two in January/February [20-40F]. Definitely the weather window does not compare to where you are coming from. Lets just say your heated grips will coming handy after Oct 15th-ish. Realize that there is better weather to be had the farther west and south in Metro Vancouver mainly because of the corralling of clouds of the eastern valley.

Our selection of great street motorcycle roads is limited compared to California. The roads we have are decent, but serious street riders head into Washington, Oregon, and northern California every time. The posted speed limits are notoriously under rated, especially within south-west BC, and with our 40km/hr [25mph] over posted instant roadside impound for a week system, one has to be careful. There is a huge selection of offroad riding, but again, after mid December, they may get snow cover.

There is a renaissance in the craft brewing area here, you will not be disappointed. It's taken a while for the palate to be educated to fine ales, and the laws to be changed to allow tasting rooms at micro breweries. But it's here now, and we've caught up to Washington state but still follow Oregon. Metro Vancouver has an astounding array of eateries, because of the ethnic mix we have. You can travel the world culinary wise.
BTW, as I write this, it's 91F in my back yard, eastern suburb of Metro Van, Surrey.

A lot of references to bring cash. I've been to southern Cal recently. I can say that you will notice expensive gasoline [taxes], vehicle insurance [mandatory govt. insurance] , and rent/housing if you live inside Vancouver city proper. After that, you'll do fine, especially if you are being paid in U.S. currency.
Ahh yeah Steve, I wouldn't include Victoria in a weather conversation with Vancouver and Seattle Lot less rain here my friend.
trevorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:09 PM   #15
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Don't rent an apartment in down town East Hastings.