Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2014, 11:18 PM   #16
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorf View Post
Ahh yeah Steve, I wouldn't include Victoria in a weather conversation with Vancouver and Seattle Lot less rain here my friend.
Very much agree. And less freezing temps too. To a southern Californian though, probably pretty close.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:37 AM   #17
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDesertOtter View Post
Hey, All--

I'm moving from Southern California to Vancouver BC to take a job in September, and I'm bringing my 1200 GSA with me. I'll have six months up there, maybe more.

Anyone care to enlighten me with their favorite roads, trails, worthy drinking establishments? What do I have to look forward to?

Apart from rain, of course...

Thanks, gang!

--D
Duffy Lake Road, Hwy 12 out of Lillooet, Hwy 6 through the Nicola Valley, 5A south to Princeton.

tunblrURL:phipsd.tumblr.com

Phipsd screwed with this post 08-11-2014 at 12:54 AM
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:54 AM   #18
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
Also Mt Baker is a spectacular ride just over the line. The riding around Mt. St. Helen's is not to be missed as well.

tunblrURL:phipsd.tumblr.com
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:44 AM   #19
XtreemLEE
Member #476

Oddometer: 2,301
get tires...

http://www.mx1canada.com/mitas-adven...-safari-tires/
"And the freedom of speech we try to defend goes to the core of one of my very deepest beliefs: the best information is uncovered with open, spirited debate. Better to grow thicker skin than to risk repressing information--just ask John Adams and Thomas Jefferson." Chris Macaskill
XtreemLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:22 AM   #20
statsman
Weekend Warrior

Oddometer: 87
Some excellent advice here.

Get new tires before you come north. I am constantly amazed at how expensive tires are in Canada compared to the US.

Perhaps a BC local can expand on this. If you are only going to be in BC for 6 months, your US insurance should still be OK. Again, the cost of insurance for motorcycles is much more reasonable in the States than in Canada. When I first started riding in Eastern Canada many years ago (forget about moose and deer, you had to look out for dinosaurs ) you could actually insure your bike for only the 8 months per year you rode it. Now you can only get a policy for the full 12 months.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:33 PM   #21
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
Some excellent advice here.

Get new tires before you come north. I am constantly amazed at how expensive tires are in Canada compared to the US.

Perhaps a BC local can expand on this. If you are only going to be in BC for 6 months, your US insurance should still be OK. Again, the cost of insurance for motorcycles is much more reasonable in the States than in Canada. When I first started riding in Eastern Canada many years ago (forget about moose and deer, you had to look out for dinosaurs ) you could actually insure your bike for only the 8 months per year you rode it. Now you can only get a policy for the full 12 months.
He is moving to BC...no need to buy a full year of insurance. As for tires...did you check the online prices in Canada vs the US prices? Pretty darn close for my type of tires.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:22 PM   #22
trevorf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
He is moving to BC...no need to buy a full year of insurance. As for tires...did you check the online prices in Canada vs the US prices? Pretty darn close for my type of tires.
+1 to everything just said.Also check out the ride from Merritt to Kamloops on 5a...just did it a couple of weeks ago it is an awesome road!!
trevorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:35 PM   #23
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by squiffynimrod View Post
BC= Bring Cash.
Good Lord... The Peoples Republic of Buttcrackistan is heard from, the province where people can watch their dogs run away for three days. Longest ten years of my life was the six months I spent in Regina.

Anyways... moving to Vancouver... first, the traffic in Vancouver simply sucks these days. All those bridges are choke points... The traffic is what it is.

With that in mind, think of where you're going to live while in Vancouver, if housing isn't provided to you without any say on your part. Personally, I'd suggest North Van as the place to set up shop - I lived at 3d and Lonsdale for a little over 10 years and it was great. If you're working downtown, the Sea Bus will get you to the downtown core faster than you can drive there. Stanley Park is close, also the West Van seawall, and Squamish/Whistler and beyond is just a matter of jumping on the highway. Ditto for the ferry to Nanaimo. Couple of small ski hills just above where you can go night skiing after work in the winter. Lots of mountain bike trails up Lynn Valley. Kayaking and fishing the rivers that go through there... anyways, I'd suggest North Van, down by the Quay if you have the juice to ask for that.

Vehicle insurance. The six month rule to stay under current coverage is only for the military, students, etc. I think you have 30 days to register your vehicle in BC, and 90 days to convert to a BC drivers license when coming to BC to work. Call ICBC and they will give you the exact details. Easy to get away with not doing that, but if you're in an accident and they start nosing around for any reason, you may find out that even your insurer back in the States will refuse to cover you as well.

Watering holes are everywhere; won't take you long to find the flavour of your choice.

As already mentioned, lousy road riding around Vancouver, all things considered. Ferries have gotten spendy - $90 for car and driver to the Island last month when I flew down there on business - but a ferry ride to Nanaimo and then the road to Port Alberni and on to Pacific Rim makes for a pretty nice ride. Day trips up to Gold Bridge and Bralorne are nice, Seton Portage, etc.

If most of your stay is going to be in winter weather, you might just focus on other stuff than motorcycling - weekend scuba trips at Campbell River, the Gulf Islands, etc. Sea kayaking the Broken Group.

You might not get as much riding in as you would like once November arrives and Vancouver winter weather, but you won't be bored if you have an active lifestyle.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:07 AM   #24
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

all correct statements.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:07 AM   #25
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorf View Post
+1 to everything just said.Also check out the ride from Merritt to Kamloops on 5a...just did it a couple of weeks ago it is an awesome road!!
Eh...don't forget the other part of 5A. Pavement is very nice now unlike a couple years ago.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:56 AM   #26
ForknRoad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
Realize that the Pacific North West [Seattle/Vancouver/Victoria]...
Please note that "Pacific Northwest" is an exclusively American term. People in British Columbia do not call where we live the "Pacific Northwest". We here in BC, live in Western Canada or simply, BC. In fact, Vancouver and Victoria are actually in southern Canada.

Just wanted to clear this up.
ForknRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #27
dustin2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
About the city:

Vancouver is an incredible city. Amazing food, beautiful city streets, safe, clean. There's so much to see, so much to do; the combination of green, ocean and mountains is absolutely fantastic and it's literally a bicycle ride away to any of those things. Traffic is historically very bad (we were rated worst in North America at one point) but has really improved in the last 5 years with massive improvements to the infrastructure. There's also expansion of light rail coming that will go further into the 'burbs. Cost of living is high, yes, but it's not all that bad if you're not looking to buy a house. Rental pricing is similar to San Francisco. The main issue compared to California is that the wages are lower here.

About the (street) riding:

There is next to no good street riding within 200 km of Vancouver. Highway 99/Sea to Sky highway is decent but busy and heavily patrolled. It's a beautiful ride but not something overly technical or twisty. If you want the good riding, you have to go to the BC Kootenay & Okanagon region, notably:

Highway 33 from Rock Creek to Kelowna
Highway 6 from Vernon to New Denver
Highway 31A from New Denver to Kaslo
Highway 3A from Creston to Crawford Bay
Highway 3 from Manning Park to Grand Forks

There are a few other lovely rides on Vancouver Island/Sushine Coast and surrounding areas but not a lot. California trumps it in every conceivable way. Actually, so does Oregon and Washington.

We have an insurance monopoly here and it is expensive. Gas is more expensive and motorcycle parts are more expensive, especially things like OEM parts from the dealer. Tire pricing has improved significantly in the last few years as retailers are struggling to compete. Make use of a parcel depot across the line in Blaine or Point Roberts if you need to bring a lot of parts in, it's well worth it

I don't ride dirt but I have friends who do and they say there's an incredible amount of dirt bike and dual sport riding in BC.
dustin2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:29 PM   #28
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForknRoad View Post
Please note that "Pacific Northwest" is an exclusively American term. People in British Columbia do not call where we live the "Pacific Northwest". We here in BC, live in Western Canada or simply, BC. In fact, Vancouver and Victoria are actually in southern Canada.

Just wanted to clear this up.
Please note that the term "Pacific North West" has been around longer than "Cascadia", both describing the western cascade corridor, and is widely used by most, yet rejected by some with minimal geographic knowledge, and or built in avoidance of the lower 48 states.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:34 PM   #29
CaribooBC
life is an adventure

Oddometer: 297
If you are truly adventurous and actually ride on dirt. We have some great riding in BC. September to March is the worst time of the year to enjoy it though as the best routes will be snow covered.
A couple of routes to check out in the summer are Agassiz to Pemberton, up the west side of Harrison Lake. Pemberton over the Hurley to Bralorne then out to Lillooet. Lillooet to Big Bar Ferry, along the west side of the Fraser. Big Bar Ferry to Williams Lake, east of the Fraser. Big Bar Ferry to Churn Creek, over to Gang Ranch then into the vast Chilcotin (you could spend a lifetime exploring out there!!). I hope you will get the time to extend your stay to take in a summer to check out some of these backroads.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:33 PM   #30
ForknRoad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
Please note that the term "Pacific North West" has been around longer than "Cascadia", both describing the western cascade corridor, and is widely used by most, yet rejected by some with minimal geographic knowledge, and or built in avoidance of the lower 48 states.
Whatever. I've lived in Vancouver my entire life and have never heard a single person who was from here refer to Vancouver as being in the "Pacific Northwest". Those of us with adequate geographic knowledge have a pretty easy time of seeing how the term just doesn't make sense.
ForknRoad is offline   Reply With Quote