User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2014, 10:06 AM   #1
Casper137 OP
When in doubt Mumble

Oddometer: 82
Lingham Lake Conditions?

A buddy and I were thinking about doing a run next weekend from the Georgina area up through old wagon road through hwy 60 through Algonquin to Barrys Bay then get a motel for the night.

We thought about exploring north from there (Major Lake Road up through Algonquin and down Paugh lake rd) but with time constraints that'll have to be done another day.

Instead we were going to ride south to Cloyne and try the power line all the way from Hunt Road to Lingham Lake rd and into Eldorado.

Then ride back home.

I've ridden Old Wagon road before and it got tiring picking up the strom a few times.

We do have smaller bikes although they're obviously not as comfy as the bigger bikes. (a super sherpa and a wr250).

Just wondering if anyone has ran that powerline section and how it is?about it.

Thanks.

on another note.

We did a run yesterday through crystal lake area.

we got on a trail at the end of crystal lake road and ran through the forest and ended up on south salmon lake road when we wanted to get to the east side of salmon lake road to hit pencil lake road (which neither of us have ever been on).

We tried to run the little trail at the east end of south salmon lake road to connect with salmon lake road ....2 hours later and 200 feet from the end there was a bog that I walked in to and fell in up to my hips. With no way around ....we had to turn around and go through the toughest forest I've ever gone through.

Damn wasp nests under logs suck.

We never made it to pencil lake road lol.

Jeff

I be ridin an '09 DL650A with some ferrrrkles.
I also be ridin a Kawi Super Sherpa Derka Derka.
Casper137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:36 AM   #2
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 9,017
It's a good one, a bunch of water crossings but usually not crazy deep. One hill (east to west you'll be going down it so no worries). I'd wet one muddy section.

A really nice dual sport trail...along with Pencil Lake road, one of the better trails in that area. Some cool rock formations, some good views, fun trail, etc

I couldn't tell from your post if your on your smaller bike or not? I wouldn't ride a vstrom on the trail due to lack of ground clearance

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:03 AM   #3
Casper137 OP
When in doubt Mumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
It's a good one, a bunch of water crossings but usually not crazy deep. One hill (east to west you'll be going down it so no worries). I'd wet one muddy section.

A really nice dual sport trail...along with Pencil Lake road, one of the better trails in that area. Some cool rock formations, some good views, fun trail, etc

I couldn't tell from your post if your on your smaller bike or not? I wouldn't ride a vstrom on the trail due to lack of ground clearance
I kinda assumed it wouldnt be a trail for the strom, a small part of me just didn't want to ride 800+ kms in two days on the super sherpa lol. (specially since it has a slight front end wobble over 75 km/h that I havent figured out yet).

the sherpa actually doesnt have much more clearance if any then the strom surprisingly enough.

Thanks a ton for the infos ...things are easier when you know you can get through rather then spending 2 hours going one way and getting low on gas only to realize it's impassable and having to turn around.

Old 08-10-2014, 02:03 PM   #4
Deadly99
Fast and Far

There is a Hydro line trail that is north of Lingham that is more suitable. It also runs from Highway 42 to 62. A great trail as well just not as technical.

Shoot me an email and I'll send you a gpx file

Old 08-10-2014, 02:27 PM   #5
Casper137 OP
When in doubt Mumble

Quote:
There is a Hydro line trail that is north of Lingham that is more suitable. It also runs from Highway 42 to 62. A great trail as well just not as technical.

More suitable for what? the Strom?

I think my buddy wants to take the little bikes at this point.

His being far more suited to dirt riding (wr250) compared to the super sherpa.

So a little bit of a challenge is fine.

I'm old and technically challenged ...never did figure out how gpx files work ...which is probably why I get lost a lot.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:39 AM   #6
gybeman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
You can check out the worst of Pencil Lake Rd first by starting at the parking area on the east side of 507. Can't remember its exact location but its the only large gravel parking area and trail head on the east side of 507 about 1/3? of the way down south of Gooderham. Theres a beaver dam/wet area a km or 2 in going north that will require some thought and maybe walking beside the bike to get across. Depending on the rain amount it can be as little as axle deep but can be wheel deep and more if you err.
Otherwise its a pretty long ride to get there and find out you can't get across.
Great area, with lots of elevation and interesting rock shelves. I wouldn't do it with anything bigger than a 525 real enduro though.
gybeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:30 AM   #7
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by gybeman View Post
You can check out the worst of Pencil Lake Rd first by starting at the parking area on the east side of 507. Can't remember its exact location but its the only large gravel parking area and trail head on the east side of 507 about 1/3? of the way down south of Gooderham. Theres a beaver dam/wet area a km or 2 in going north that will require some thought and maybe walking beside the bike to get across. Depending on the rain amount it can be as little as axle deep but can be wheel deep and more if you err.
Otherwise its a pretty long ride to get there and find out you can't get across.
Great area, with lots of elevation and interesting rock shelves. I wouldn't do it with anything bigger than a 525 real enduro though.

We've rode it several times on loaded big bikes. The one go around is a bit tricky on a loaded big bike

North Pencil Lake is still one of my favorite trails in that area

Old 08-11-2014, 06:37 AM   #8
gybeman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Yep, but I lied, used to do it all the time on my 640, so I guess the comfort limit would be a single cyl 690 unless your friends are more than healthy and helpful.
gybeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:28 PM   #9
toddiscdn
Take off, EH!

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
We've rode it several times on loaded big bikes. The one go around is a bit tricky on a loaded big bike

North Pencil Lake is still one of my favorite trails in that area

I see how that go around would be tough on a big bike, steep climb, nice up top with a rocky decent, was fine on the DRs, but I didn't want anything bigger. Ya great trail for sure.

Dave looking up to where the bypass goes.

Cheers, Todd
toddiscdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:31 PM   #10
Casper137 OP
When in doubt Mumble

Quote:

The other trail you're speaking of would be the one just north of Bon Echo?

The Massanoga Hydro Line Trail?

Does it directly follow the hydro line all the way to 62?

Thinking we may opt for this one if you're saying its a little more forgiving.

Pencil lake will be done before the summers done just probably not this coming weekend.

Those pictures look fantastic!!!

on another sidenote ...we were riding down the fire road from crystal lake road to the 507 and got stopped about a km down it by people in work vests telling us the road was closed temporaily.

We were like what? how can it be closed.

They said only for a half hour as they were using it for time trials for rally car races.

We put our bikes off to the side and stuck around to watch ...was pretty cool.