Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2014, 02:23 AM   #16
kiwibul
Staffy

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Te Hopo View Post
Yea I spotted that this evening but it's too bulky for my liking.
I'm thinking of switching out the headlight/speedo unit as there's apprently a few kg's up high there.

I'm still not sure whether to go for a plastic 8" round light and screen, I reckon I could make up something similar to this Baja Designs light and Carducci Dual Sport screen for a lot less cost....

....or ultralight and sleek like this Trailtech X2:
hunt down someone wrecking a djebel they have the large round headlight and a good mount system
Old 08-12-2014, 12:54 PM   #17
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,438
Any more info about that top bike?
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:31 PM   #18
Te Hopo OP
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Any more info about that top bike?
Look in the build section here for jimmythehogs dual sportster or google carducci dual sport

Sent from my XT320 using Tapatalk 2

My DRZ400E Thread
Te Hopo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:14 PM   #19
zaTTaz
LOUD NOISES.

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Taz, I edited my post above to show my inspiration for a light/screen set up which is actually extremely similar to Clints set up.
Ahh, yeah we've talked about those before. They sure do look purrrdy. Guess it comes down to cost?
One of those X2 units went for $50-60 bucks on trademe a few weeks back.

And that Britannica gears is minnnnttttt, but hell spendy to get it here, well even before you add the bells and whistles and convert it she's up there.
There was some place in Greece that does a whole bunch too but I can't remember what they were like price wise.

I'd probably work out what you want light wise then see how it all comes together from there.
zaTTaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:08 PM   #20
Te Hopo OP
AKA Deanohit

Yea, I'm now only wanting some durable, light, simple road lighting and a bit more wind protection.
I can see that with a good quality headlight and home made screen.

For the additional lighting wanted for gravel and tracks, I'll stick with my powerful headlamp clipped onto my helmet peak. Its been working excellent on the mountain bike

Sent from my XT320 using Tapatalk 2

My DRZ400E Thread
Old 08-12-2014, 10:07 PM   #21
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,315
Quote:

What brand is your light Clint?
The 7" looks like a great size, also what size bulb are you running?

The light is a Narva polycarbonate semi sealed 7" - about $90 IIRC, will dig up the part # for you. It's the same fitment as quite a few 4x4's, cheap glass/tin versions are available off the shelf at Repco. H4 60/55 +120 bulb. Heaps more light than the exact same bulb in the little old reflector.

The bezel, frame etc was all made from scratch in the shed. I'll get some better pics for ya too. You could do it simpler than I did, I mounted it off the original bolt holes in the triples for a bit more rigidity & so the forks can be removed easily, easy way is just to clamp something to the forks. I also did some rewiring as it was a bit of a mess behind the dash & made a mount & cover to suit the original digital dash unit.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:24 PM   #22
bart-nz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
I like the look of the round headlight too. Perhaps it's time for a little project in the shed. The DR is looking a bit rough, so time to butcher it totally.

bart-nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:38 PM   #23
Pete-NZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
Or a Rally Raid screen...
In fact theses a half finished mold plug sitting in
Blenheim for a very close copy of it

http://imageshack.com/a/img543/7785/exn3.jpg
Old 08-12-2014, 10:56 PM   #24
Te Hopo OP
AKA Deanohit

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post
The light is a Narva polycarbonate semi sealed 7" - about $90 IIRC, will dig up the part # for you. It's the same fitment as quite a few 4x4's, cheap glass/tin versions are available off the shelf at Repco. H4 60/55 +120 bulb. Heaps more light than the exact same bulb in the little old reflector.

The bezel, frame etc was all made from scratch in the shed. I'll get some better pics for ya too. You could do it simpler than I did, I mounted it off the original bolt holes in the triples for a bit more rigidity & so the forks can be removed easily, easy way is just to clamp something to the forks. I also did some rewiring as it was a bit of a mess behind the dash & made a mount & cover to suit the original digital dash unit.

Cheers
Clint
Cheers for all the details, more pics on it would definitely be appreciated.

A project, common, cheap and powerful, that sounds perfect.

My DRZ400E Thread
Old 08-13-2014, 03:50 AM   #25
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,618
Bike looks great. don't envy that trip through the desert road. I was going to buy a DRZ but the 5 speed close ratio box like Bart mentioned put me off it - what did you think of it?

Dug out the liner yesterday so hopefully post it off sometime this week.
Night Falcon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:59 AM   #26
Te Hopo OP
AKA Deanohit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Bike looks great. don't envy that trip through the desert road. I was going to buy a DRZ but the 5 speed close ratio box like Bart mentioned put me off it - what did you think of it?
I didn't find it too bad actually, the first time I ran it up to 100kmh I was thinking WTF!
With the current stock E gearing it cruises really nice at 80kmh, and is very busy sounding at 100kmh hence the thinking to change the gearing to the S models gearing.

It's not often I do tight track, my roughest riding is generally some rough two track where you do very little crawling in 1st.
Quote:
Dug out the liner yesterday so hopefully post it off sometime this week.
Awesome mate, thank you very much

My DRZ400E Thread
Old 08-14-2014, 03:16 AM   #27
Te Hopo OP
AKA Deanohit

Two more pics from my aunty before I left Wellington, my cousins wee lad liked the bike, especially giving it a good twist early on a Sunday morning

Hahaha and here's an excellent example of why I that lowering link is so handy

My DRZ400E Thread
Old 08-16-2014, 01:47 AM   #28
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
I was going to buy a DRZ but the 5 speed close ratio box like Bart mentioned put me off it
Close ratio box can really good, which is why they are made. They are much easier to keep the engine on the boil, for instance. The trade off is the narrower effective speed range. If you can change sprockets to suit the ride, it'll be sweet. A box that lets you do 15 kph as readily as 150 kph is going to have either large gaps, or an engine with a huge usable rev range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.
warewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:18 AM   #29
Te Hopo OP
AKA Deanohit

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
Close ratio box can really good, which is why they are made. They are much easier to keep the engine on the boil, for instance. The trade off is the narrower effective speed range. If you can change sprockets to suit the ride, it'll be sweet. A box that lets you do 15 kph as readily as 150 kph is going to have either large gaps, or an engine with a huge usable rev range.
Yea, it wasn't a deterrent to my idea, I think with slightly different gearing the gearbox will not be an issue.
A sixth gear would be nice, but not a deal breaker.

I took it for a spin around the Queen Charlotte Drive through to work yesterday for lunch with the folk, damn there's a lot of grit around there.
A few times I cracked the throttle open a little and it started to slide very gently, almost made me look like a pro.
Not the sort of thing I will be doing regularly though.

I'm looking forward to giving it a good gravel run tomorrow with a few of the Marlborough lads.

My DRZ400E Thread
Old 08-20-2014, 12:12 AM   #30
Te Hopo OP
AKA Deanohit

I took the bike out for a good gravel ride on Sunday with the Marlborough lads and had a lot of fun.
It took me a while to get settled and comfortable, then I started having some fun

The only issue was a harsh rebound on the front, I have some wrist issues and hitting any bump with speed was a little painful while the rear on the other hand was awesome.
It's set up with a heavier spring and other tricks, and it was going over those same bumps like a magic carpet ride.

So last night I put the front back to stock settings and found the Rebound was wound right up.
Going to work this morning around the rough Queen Charlotte drive and it was a huge improvement.
The front now actually soaks up those bumps and I didn't get numb fingers once.

God, talk about a massive improvement over the XT, I've gone all the way from 80's technology to 90's technology

My DRZ400E Thread