ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2014, 08:46 PM   #31
gregdee
Motocampist

Oddometer: 400
I've seen this practice all over southern Colorado, and it's not just tents. I see plenty of trailers left in spots. I even see this up in the La Sals above Moab during the summer months and recently noticed this in the area south of Jacob Lake on the north rim of the Grand Canyon. Drives me absolutely bat shit at the end of a long day of riding when I am desperately needing to stop for the night but can't find a spot without a damn trailer sitting in it.

Once my wife and I dropped down into a spot right next to a stream with unoccupied trailers all around on the hills above us. No one else ever showed up. In the morning I thought about leaving a present on their doorstep but that would have been pretty shitty.

Another time I relocated a pile of fire wood I found at one unoccupied but "reserved" site closer to my fire ring.

With a little "Monkey Wrenching" we could probably change this behavior. It ain't right. Just sayin...
gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:15 AM   #32
boldham
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Bluhduh Shame

I've seen this as well. I've often wondered if a small nightly fee would curtail this. Problem in CO seems to me to be lack of enforcement resources. I see yahoos doing stupid/illegal things and getting away with it far too often!
I'm thankful that there are so many FS roads and I have a motorcycle to get away from the masses!
boldham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:21 AM   #33
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by boldham View Post
I've seen this as well. I've often wondered if a small nightly fee would curtail this. Problem in CO seems to me to be lack of enforcement resources. I see yahoos doing stupid/illegal things and getting away with it far too often!
I'm thankful that there are so many FS roads and I have a motorcycle to get away from the masses!

At the same time, I hear radio commercials all the time encouraging folks to get out and use the woods. What a waste of $$.

I would rather the commercials be about responsible forest use. Clean up after yourself. Don't cut down trees. Stay on the trail, etc.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:07 AM   #34
imcja
b00b

Oddometer: 64
Abandoned campsites...

Leave your tent on public land for a couple days unoccupied...I'll donate it to someone that will use it. Leave your RV parked unattended for a couple days...it must be abandoned...I'll advise the FS.

One upside of camping next to an abandoned camp...privacy.
imcja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:54 AM   #35
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcja View Post
Leave your tent on public land for a couple days unoccupied...I'll donate it to someone that will use it. Leave your RV parked unattended for a couple days...it must be abandoned...I'll advise the FS.

LOL!...some truth to the privacy issue, I guess. Last August that empty tent, abandoned cowboy trailer, and my van kept all other campers away completely. I had the whole meadow to myself. Hmmm...two or three cheap little Camp Trails Walmart tents spread around my campsite my be the key to a very pleasant camping experience.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:05 AM   #36
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 16,022
Last year while scouting for a camp for a few of us in the National forest near Calico Rock AR, found several of the best campsites occupied by travel trailers on a Thursday early afternoon.

by Sat night, only 1 or 2 had become occupied, apparently some hunting season opened the following weekend, and the regulations allow them to stay unattended for more than a week ahead of time.

total horseshit, but it did make firewood scavenging easier, since many had cut, split and dry wood stacked at them.

mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:48 AM   #37
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
LOL!...some truth to the privacy issue, I guess. Last August that empty tent, abandoned cowboy trailer, and my van kept all other campers away completely. I had the whole meadow to myself. Hmmm...two or three cheap little Camp Trails Walmart tents spread around my campsite my be the key to a very pleasant camping experience.
Or you could just hang a couple of t-shirts from the camp table
Old 08-12-2014, 08:51 AM   #38
scfrank
I'm back - sort of.

Oddometer: 7,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Free tents and chairs.
Careful. You'll end up on youtube.

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:36 PM   #39
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,264
Start carrying a bunch of non-removable stickers.

At 11pm, go for a walk and plaster them on any trailers in empty camps.

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:10 PM   #40
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdee View Post
I've seen this practice all over southern Colorado, and it's not just tents. I see plenty of trailers left in spots. I even see this up in the La Sals above Moab during the summer months and recently noticed this in the area south of Jacob Lake on the north rim of the Grand Canyon. Drives me absolutely bat shit at the end of a long day of riding when I am desperately needing to stop for the night but can't find a spot without a damn trailer sitting in it.

Once my wife and I dropped down into a spot right next to a stream with unoccupied trailers all around on the hills above us. No one else ever showed up. In the morning I thought about leaving a present on their doorstep but that would have been pretty shitty.

Another time I relocated a pile of fire wood I found at one unoccupied but "reserved" site closer to my fire ring.

With a little "Monkey Wrenching" we could probably change this behavior. It ain't right. Just sayin...
Various reasons on trailers. Often people nightly rent out their mtn places on air bnb or vrbo in the summer to be able to afford to live in a mtn town. It's a survival tactic or you go under (upside down mortgage everywhere or just barely making it if not). When they are renting, they move for those nights to their trailer. The squat on sites to guarantee a fast dash to the forest and have a place ready for the night vrs trailering out each time when your place in town is rented.

Like Rob W. others could be living there for the whole season, but have found a place to crash in town or even a chick you hooked up for the night. Still others live in town in apts, but are not allowed to park in those lots per rules and just stash their trailer in the NF for the summer season and use on occasion.

Those who are city folk do not understand all the nuances and sacrifices one must make to be able to live in them AND the other 1/2+ of mtn town owners are wealthy 2nd home owners who don't get it either.

I have a different angle for my Steamboat mtn duplex house (rental). I have no HOAs nor covenants where it's located and plan on parking a cheap untagged 20-25' travel trailer on it in the back yard past the end of my smaller of 2 driveways. It's kinda hidden back in there. I will tap into the sewer house system, plus have water and electric back there and will give that tenant a small summer discount to use those services. In the winter it gets emtpied and locked down. I have a nice storage area and car parking on the other side too. Thus I can keep my rental cash flow and get to live in Steamboat in the summer when i'm not on tour...heading to mexico in the winter for sure so I can still ride.

Anyway, people do what they need to do to make and and they will continue to do so. Expect more of this in the future as it's legal and the trailer only needs to move every 14 days. Is it legal? yes Is it right? that depends on who you talk to. Not sure the FS code says you must occupy the spot, you just need to move it every 14 days. Rules are rules, both ways. Don't like it? petition to have the FS rules changed. This group minimally tags and equips dirtbikes because well the rules say only this is needed & nothing more. Some will say that's not fair of you Colorado to require so little to tag a bike...those here will say those are rules.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 08-12-2014 at 04:23 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:25 PM   #41
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcja View Post

I'm guessing the FS enforcers can't consider it that until after 14 days and you taking a tent makes you then a thief...and how are you morally superior?
Butler Maps website:
Old 08-12-2014, 04:28 PM   #42
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 2,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Anyway, people do what they need to do to make and and they will continue to do so. Expect more of this in the future as it's legal and the trailer only needs to move every 14 days.
Can't fully buy into this one. Being a mountain resident for the past decade I "get it", and especially having a trailer on your own property, but have never felt entitled to use our surrounding National Forest as a permanent extension of my property line. Perma-parking a camper on forest land because someone wanted to move into a HOA 'hood that doesn't allow it on-site is an asshat move in my book. Willing to bet it's a just a matter of time before meth heads bring some karmic justice to these situations though.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:46 PM   #43
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump_co View Post
Can't fully buy into this one. Being a mountain resident for the past decade I "get it", and especially having a trailer on your own property, but have never felt entitled to use our surrounding National Forest as a permanent extension of my property line. Perma-parking a camper on forest land because someone wanted to move into a HOA 'hood that doesn't allow it on-site is an asshat move in my book. Willing to bet it's a just a matter of time before meth heads bring some karmic justice to these situations though.
Not saying i'm all good with it, just saying the rules allow it to happen and thus those in need of a solution will use it. Unless i'm wrong (and someone point that out please) there is nothing in the FS rules that say you must stay/spend the night in your tent/camper every night...and if so is that enforceable?

Heck we took a motorcycle trip one time up to Yellowstone and camped on the free south side of the park on the Rockefeller land. We spend all day up north in the park and it got late so we got a cabin in Gardiner and our tent was left empty for the night...should someone then have come along and taken our tent and donated it or should we have gotten a ticket because of the situation? I sure was happy it was a ok when we got back.
Butler Maps website:
Old 08-12-2014, 04:49 PM   #44
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,588
eakins, I get your point, but frankly it's a little hard to get too choked up about the poor souls taking up campsites because of their 2nd home...or whatever...woes. Dispersed and primitive camping in the forest and BLM lands has gotten more restricted as it is without people who have or want multiple dwelling options to take up available space...and then not actually use it...or use it on a regular basis.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:55 PM   #45
imcja
b00b

Oddometer: 64
Abandoned is how I see it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
I'm guessing the FS enforcers can't consider it that until after 14 days and you taking a tent makes you then a thief...and how are you morally superior?
No not a thief...just cleaning up the forest for all to enjoy. No different than picking up empty beer bottles/cans and other trash when I go camping. Leave no trace is how I try to do it. And I'm far from morally superior than anyone...trust me Eak.

I'd haul an empty trailer to the impound lot if I had the vehicle.
imcja is offline   Reply With Quote