ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2014, 05:56 PM   #16
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldwin1 View Post
If I was going to do it over again I would land someplace on the western slope. Delta, Gunnison, Mancos, Montrose.
If you are going to come out and look around look at the west side.
Ron
Indeed Cortez or areas of Grand Junction offer more to those into the Colorado motorcycle lifestyle. Most get stuck on the front range because the job$ are here plus the weather can be milder.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:57 PM   #17
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripsteruser View Post
Enjoy your visit.

But really, a better plan is to find the job and take temporary housing of some sort for awhile as you learn about the area and can investigate commuting patterns and neighborhoods.

Consider locating in a centroid of other likely jobs as employment isn't always stable. (my one-way commute used to be 4 miles. Now it's 48. Next Spring it may be 75..... if I stay.)
Good plan before even consider buying.
You might find another location much better and it's easy to leave a rental.
Butler Maps website:
Old 08-12-2014, 06:02 PM   #18
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianstein View Post
I'm looking at the prospect of moving to Colorado next spring, so I've decided to take the week of labor day to do some scouting. A little background. I'm currently a draftsman/engineer for a transit bus company in Indiana. It's a good job, but the stress of the manufacturing world has burned me out. It's time for a change of job and location. I'll be staying with a friend in Westminster, so while she's at work during the day I plan on spending time on the bike taking little day trips to get a feel for different areas along the front range and look for areas where someone with a solid middle class job can live comfortably.

I'm looking for either suggestions of places to check out or if someone would like a riding buddy for the day I'd be happy to join you. Maybe buy you lunch or something for your troubles. If anyone is interested, let me know.

PS: general advice on moving to CO is also more than welcome.
just a heads up.
I'm a tour guide...we get paid $300+ a day.
people are busy busy around here, especially around the holidays and so "maybe" just buying someone lunch for a day of their time will probably not get any takers. most anyone would say their days are worth atleast $150 of their time and for many here ALOT more.
Butler Maps website:
Old 08-12-2014, 06:11 PM   #19
AnnieGS
Namasté, bitches!

Oddometer: 29,546
Be prepared for bidding wars at rental showings and anywhere from 10 to 40 applicants for decent properties from Ft Collins to Denver. Vacancy rate is right at 1% (compared to nat'l avg. Of 4%). It took me ten months to find a place south of Denver within an hour of my new job and NOT in CoSprings.

AnnieGS screwed with this post 08-12-2014 at 06:18 PM
AnnieGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:46 PM   #20
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 9,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proveick View Post
Here's an informative thread about the Springs:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/color...o-springs.html
My impressions of Colorado Springs match those of the OP in the linked thread. I lived there for 14 months during 2012 and 2013 and will not hesitate to move back to that area (or the south Denver suburbs) as soon as my commitments here in Texas are concluded.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:48 PM   #21
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 2,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieGS View Post
Be prepared for bidding wars at rental showings and anywhere from 10 to 40 applicants for decent properties from Ft Collins to Denver. Vacancy rate is right at 1% (compared to nat'l avg. Of 4%). It took me ten months to find a place south of Denver within an hour of my new job and NOT in CoSprings.
^ This.. the rental market has gone through roof since A64 passed. Growers are coming in from everywhere and offering landlords premiums on rental rates with cash up front. Similar story with buying. A 1200 sq ft run-down shitebox with no yard just sold in our little front range mountain town for 450K (cash buyer) simply because it had access for 3-phase electrical. They started gutting and commercial remodel the next day. The CO housing market of 5 years ago following the mortgage collapse is not comparable. Food, utilities, just about everything is more expensive than the midwest..

Not trying to scare you off, but be thoughtful about what you really want. It'll be real easy to get housepoor trying to afford an ideal property here. Personally, I'd focus on living cheap so you can have a proper dirtbike and play budget instead.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:07 PM   #22
NoSpark?
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Actually, over the last few weeks I've been looking to buy in the foothills area. Morrison, Indian hills and Evergreen. I've found multiple properties with 1 acre, not necessarily flat but with well and septic for under 150000. Two were about 15 minutes from Evergreen but deeper in the mountains. The problem is they were small, 500 and 1100 sq foot and needed some work... not unlivable but definitely will need some love. I'm going VA loan so no fixer upper for me, otherwise there were at least two I would have jumped on. I like the foothills area because you get the best of both worlds... I'm renting in Indian Hills and if I need to go to denver it's 30 45 mins... unless of course there is traffic... but when I go west it's smooth sailing. On renting in the foothills though, if you see something, grab it. It will go quick and it's pretty expensive...
Old 08-13-2014, 10:01 AM   #23
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianstein View Post
I've been thru Colorado Springs which seemed nice at the time, but most people from Denver that I've talked to claim its a bad place to live.
Yup, Colorado Springs sucks. You and everyone you know should should stay north of the Palmer Divide (Monument). I'm sure you'd be much happier in Aurora.

Oh, and that house on an acre or two near the mountains is for sale down the street from me.....only $1.1 million dollars.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...451?source=web

Honestly, my best advise (as somebody who moved here from Michigan in 1993) if you want to move here, leave everything you love about where you are now behind and immerse yourself in the local culture. Rent something cheap that's close to your job, spend your weekends traveling, figure out where you want to be, and/or if you want to be here.
MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8

_CJ screwed with this post 08-13-2014 at 12:10 PM
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:42 PM   #24
stubbicatt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I live in Westminster, and am happy here. I feel sure if you search you will find what you want, housing wise.

I'm new to this Adventure riding, and have been riding street bikes for 35 years or so, and if you don't mind me tagging along, I can show you a few of the neat rides along the front range. I'm sure there are others who will jump on and show you what they know of the area as well.

Hope it works out for you.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:49 AM   #25
Ianstein OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Thanks for all the replies guys. One of the big draws for me is the community in CO. People are just friendlier out there compared to Indiana.

I have a pretty deep aversion to renting, as I don't like paying for something I don't get to keep, but it may be my only option starting out.

I know out in the mountains seasonal work is really popular. Does the job market on the front range ebb and flow the same way? Is there a downturn at certain times? I'm trying to visit now and again in the winter to get a good feel for the year round experience and then would plan on moving in the spring, say April or May. With the seasonal work ending around then, does that create an excess of workers in the job market?

FWIW....I currently run a side business that allows me to work from home. If I take it on at 30-40 hrs/wk (while job hunting) it should make a livable wage.

As it gets closer to Sept. I'll shoot you guys some PM's to see if we can meet up for a ride. I really appreciate the responses.

Chicago To Los Angles For My First Road Trip
Ianstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:58 AM   #26
Gripsteruser
Service Monkey

Oddometer: 739
Construction work is seasonal. As are landscaping and snow removal.

"seasonal work" depends on what you do. There's also picking crops......

Besides new construction, we also have lots of re-roofing work every June/July/August as hailstorms somewhere on the front range will cause damage. Oh and the auto body shops get a lot of dent repair work for the same reason. My neighbor's truck won't get fixed until November....

(my neighborhood will hear air nailers until November after the golf ball sized hail that fell on June 24th. My roof and gutters were wrecked, the siding damaged and my Jeep parked outside now has the texture of a golf ball. )

Previous- XT350, CB900F, XL185S, GS425E
Gripsteruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:49 AM   #27
CRSpeedy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Like NoSpark mentioned, you may consider looking into the foothills. After living in several cities throughout Colorado all of my life (I'm 26), my fiance and I bought our first home last year on a tight budget and ended up with a 2,000 square foot home on a flat, 1 acre lot in Conifer. The house needed quite a bit of work but we only paid $180k for it, so there are some great deals to be found up here. An acre with a 2,000 square foot home in Denver or Boulder will push the million dollar mark.

Pros of Mountain Living:
- We're only 5 minutes from the necessities (King Soopers, Big R, Ace Hardware, Moore Lumber, Staples, two auto parts stores, and ten restaurants), and we're only 20 minutes from Littleton, which has everything else. And when we do need to drive to to the heart of downtown Denver, we're only 40 minutes away.

- We never have any traffic, and 285 is a great commuter route. We have neighbors who work in Denver, and their commute is shorter (time-wise) than my friends who live in Westminster, Parker, and Aurora.

- We get to watch deer, elk, bears, mountain lions, and moose from our deck. And that's just since we moved up here last year. There's no light pollution blocking the stars, and the sound of elk bugling makes for a pretty relaxing backdrop. If you're into hunting or target shooting, National Forest is 5 minutes up the road. More trails than I'll get around to hiking in my lifetime, and some of the best adventure riding in the front range is right outside the door.

- Speaking of riding, I see more ATVs and dirt bikes on our road than I see cars. When kids want to go see their friends, they simply hop in their go-kart and head out. No cops patrolling the streets like I was used to in the city. There's more freedom up here.

Cons of Mountain Living:
- Snow. Lots and lots of snow. Denver averages around 60 inches of snow per year. Conifer averages around 140 inches. But that's just an excuse to get more toys
CRSpeedy is offline   Reply With Quote