User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2014, 04:14 AM   #31
Barbadi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
I 've also mindtraveled that path...

I mean I have a twin 650 bmw that I find is a hard ride on slow tight curvy and loose two lane forest roads as most mediterranean off road sceneries are.

Me thinks the main problems are weight AND length of the bike BUT first of all is the horsepower. There is no Sahara-like rubber to keep 72 hp 200+ kilos bikes on loose rocky terrain and safe on tar. And there is no point of having the bike on Anakees in the dirt or TKCs on the road.
This bike also has a quite agressive power delivery that is the worst on tought situations as having to stop and start on a loose gravel/dirt steep uphill with a tight curve in the middle.

It has also a lot of expensive plastic suit items.

I thought a Terra 650 might be be a good trade but I checked it out. The test bike they gave me kept dying, the suspention felt like shit, the back one didn't even have a preload knob and the front wheel felt like rollng left and right.

On top of all things I can't find a trusted bike measurement source.
Company numbers F 650 GS: 198 kg/ Terra 650 185
A Greek magazine weighted motos and found the f 650 at 212 kg and a Terra at 188kg.
An Xcountry also was weighted at 179 kg!

No mention on extra bike items they might carry.
And lets not go to the point of taking extra gear -camping etc- into the picture.

I weight 75 kg and I can lift the bike OK from a flat leveled surface once or twice without sweating at all.

But I droped it on an uphill under the summer sun in 30 C and after riding off road for 3 hours and it almost killed me!

Would a Terra or Xcountry -later year steel subframe etc- make the difference?
Do these differ between them? Meaning If an Xcountry is considered ultr light -abs an all- at 177 real kgs wth 10 ltrs takn then an Terra is same weight at 188 with 4 more ltrs, 2 pipes and a rack/skidplate. Right?
Barbadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:55 AM   #32
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
Good Read

http://www.soundrider.com/archive/ed...ture_bike.aspx
Old 08-28-2014, 03:38 PM   #33
palada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Or if you can afford it, do what a lot of us do, own 2 bikes.
^ this. I rather naively picked up an F800GS to ride some mellow off-road and noticed everyone else having a lot more fun than me on their thumpers. I picked up a 250 too. Getting the 250 actually made me like the big bike more because I stopped trying to do things the GS wasn't really made for.
palada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:49 PM   #34
73datsun OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
As an update.

I'm keeping the F700GS.

I'm taking dirt bike riding courses. On a Honda XR200. After I "graduate" from that, I'll attend some more advanced trail riding courses. If I really like that, I might consider picking up a second bike in the 200-400cc category.
73datsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:11 PM   #35
Barbadi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
One bike is all I can afford, if any...

and it has to pull commuter duties around town and travel occasionally.

Riding courses I've done, and to be honest after a long strugle with after market and self constructed parts I 've managed to get the f 650 to a very good level of riding plesure and comfort.

But the mountains are calling...
Barbadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:33 AM   #36
machinebuilder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by palada View Post
^ this. I rather naively picked up an F800GS to ride some mellow off-road and noticed everyone else having a lot more fun than me on their thumpers. I picked up a 250 too. Getting the 250 actually made me like the big bike more because I stopped trying to do things the GS wasn't really made for.
+1

except my 2nd is a DR350, I love them both but they are so different that while riding one you think about how great it is and don't think as much about how they suck (exept the DR seat is worse than the stock BMW seat)
Old 09-01-2014, 05:09 AM   #37
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by palada View Post
another +1 on this.

If you want to really enjoy the dirt...a light bike is the only way to go.

Then something else for the pavement.
vtbob is online now   Reply With Quote