ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
Nubs OP
Dakarmelized

Oddometer: 77
Ride recommendations in Santa Ynez area?

Greetings Inmates!

I'll be in the Santa Ynez Valley this weekend and was looking for recommendation for rides around the Figueroa Mountain Road area. Riding with my girlfriend so some easier off-pavement courses are probably on the menu.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:15 PM   #2
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer: 3,270
There isn't a whole lot up there that meets your requirements. Maybe Zaca Ridge road, but that's an out and back.

If it were me, I'd think about taking Refugio Road (Dirt out of Santa Ynez) up to West Camino Cielo (Also dirt) to 154 and down to Cold Springs Tavern for a cool one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubs View Post
Greetings Inmates!

I'll be in the Santa Ynez Valley this weekend and was looking for recommendation for rides around the Figueroa Mountain Road area. Riding with my girlfriend so some easier off-pavement courses are probably on the menu.
2014 Fitness Goal: hike 1200 miles. Only 420 more to go.
dyvking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:17 PM   #3
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 748
You can also head North on Paradise Rd (off of 154) and follow it all the way in until you hit the river crossing (dry) then immediately after the crossing, hang a left towards Upper Oso campground. There are about 40 miles worth of very mild trails (really just old forest service roads that are no longer open to cars, just OHV's of 50" or less.) They are all "out and back" but offer some great scenery and can comfortably be ridden 2-up with the exception of the Gibraltor overlook unless you're very experienced riding 2-up offroad.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:27 PM   #4
Nubs OP
Dakarmelized

Oddometer: 77
Thanks all! We ended up going up Figueroa Mountain Road. Awesome views and the last few miles of dirt had some nice ruts to challenge my girlfriend who blazed!

... and the obligatory stop at the entrance to Neverland Ranch with the Michael Jackson tributes written on the wall stones. Weirdly... or not...there is a pre-school right across the road. No joke.