ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2014, 08:30 AM   #31
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,945
As with any profession, there are competent professionals, incompetent knuckle draggers and just plain assholes. Ride within the law and be respectful if you're stopped....it goes a long way.

OTOH, if the officer cannot tell you what their probable cause was for the stop, ask if you're free to leave. If you're not, ask why. If you're not free to leave, you are being detained at a minimum. Don't be a dick about it and explain that you're just trying to understand why you're being stopped.

Random stops to inspect your vehicle are BS. I don't even like inspection roadblocks. There is grant money out there and especially for small departments, that income is important. There are reporting out requirements to justify the $$.

Know your rights, be respectful in standing up for them and file a complaint with the department if they're violated.

I had Sgts that asked me to do traffic enforcement but I had other things to do like drug dealers, gang members, etc.

Safe travels & enjoy.

BTW - I'll take the TT500 in that pic

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:11 AM   #32
slidewayes OP
slidewayes

Oddometer: 451
Been ridden since 1969 did my first solo long ride to laguna Seca on a BSA Gold Star @ 14 years old ( at 14 on a british single that was a long ride) I have had 3 tickets on a motorcycle counting this one before retiring I was doing 60'000mi a year with a clean DMV in LA / OC counties I wear long sleeve T shirts and Levies to ride in or Mono Color gear Not really an attention grabber, AS I said the H/D is the wife's bike an 2008 with 700 miles on it and stock pipes not loud have not ridden it not my cup of tea ( maybe a XR 750 ) The Yamaha is a YZ400 2 stroker now that has a nice BRRRAP to it. Yes I also ride and hang out with LO one of the nicest guys on this site is CHP

Stopping You For Ridding A Motorcycle Is Wrong

slidewayes screwed with this post 08-17-2014 at 09:34 AM
slidewayes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:55 AM   #33
welshracing_752
slidewaysjr

Oddometer: 15
good times with squids

Wow.....attention whore...... the guy that would never join a club... I could not even get him to join a team for the races instead we ended up building every motor, every wheel, driving X county alone and finshing top 5 at a national like a squid... I mean like a BOSS!
welshracing_752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:50 PM   #34
arrcrussell
Gimme Dirt

Oddometer: 544
As someone mentioned earlier, there are good cops and bad cops - some are real dicks! Most of the time you pass a cop and nothing happens - thats the good cop. Every once in a while you get seen by the "dicK" and you get pulled over. I'm sure many of us have tales of these run ins - I've had a couple (40 years of riding). My father once told me the first time I got pulled over - "You'll never a win a argument with a cop. Shut up, be respectful, and maybe he'll go away". File a complaint with the city, call and talk with the police captain - he'll need to file a report - they hate doing paper work - he'll most likely talk with the dick and tell him to cool it.
arrcrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:57 AM   #35
Random-Water
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
I guess I don't understand your rant. You know that the reflectors are required by law. You removed them (or one at least). And yet you call him a dick for doing his job, and giving you a ticket for doing what you know is illegal.

Can't wait for your next post about how starbucks mis-spelled your name on your cup when you ordered your triple Venti Sugar free, Non fat, No foam, extra caramel, with whip caramel macchiato. Then pour regular coffee down the side with 2 packs of raw sugar and a stir stick on the side.
Random-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:15 PM   #36
ballisticexchris
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random-Water View Post
I guess I don't understand your rant. You know that the reflectors are required by law. You removed them (or one at least). And yet you call him a dick for doing his job, and giving you a ticket for doing what you know is illegal.

Can't wait for your next post about how starbucks mis-spelled your name on your cup when you ordered your triple Venti Sugar free, Non fat, No foam, extra caramel, with whip caramel macchiato. Then pour regular coffee down the side with 2 packs of raw sugar and a stir stick on the side.

Very well said. Crying like a pussy for breaking the law and getting caught. Then posting up pics of the stable of more illegal bikes. I wonder if any of them are stolen? The OP does live in Hesperia after all. Might want to notify the local authorities to take a look at the VIN's. LOL
2012 Beta 520RS PLATED!!
ballisticexchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:20 PM   #37
Mr. Carts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
I grew up in Newport Beach in the early 70's.

Long Hair, VW Van and surfboard's on the roof.

Now those cops were total dicks.

I got pulled over at noon in the summer in my VW Bus for get this: " Tail lights not working? Yes you brake light's work but your tail lights do not" ( I did not even have may headlights on).

He just want to do a stop and check me to see if I had any contraband.

Living there I did learn one thing.

If you follow the law to the T, they cant pull you over.

I have not had a ticket in over 35 years, the last one was a Speed trap BS ticket PCH at Cameo Shores, 50 in a 45 zone.

Like I said Newport cops are the worst.

Random stops to inspect your vehicle are BS. I don't even like inspection roadblocks. There is grant money out there and especially for small departments, that income is important. There are reporting out requirements to justify the $$.

Back in the day CHP did "Safety Checks" road blocks all the time, where you had to stop and the gave you the once over. I have seen the done since the mid 70's .
Mr. Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:49 PM   #38
ballisticexchris
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Carts View Post
I grew up in Newport Beach in the early 70's.

Long Hair, VW Van and surfboard's on the roof.

Now those cops were total dicks.

I got pulled over at noon in the summer in my VW Bus for get this: " Tail lights not working? Yes you brake light's work but your tail lights do not" ( I did not even have may headlights on).

He just want to do a stop and check me to see if I had any contraband.

Living there I did learn one thing.

If you follow the law to the T, they cant pull you over.

I have not had a ticket in over 35 years, the last one was a Speed trap BS ticket PCH at Cameo Shores, 50 in a 45 zone.

Like I said Newport cops are the worst.

Back in the day CHP did "Safety Checks" road blocks all the time, where you had to stop and the gave you the once over. I have seen the done since the mid 70's .
Lived here in OC all my life with exception of 5 years military. Newport Beach cops have been the coolest to deal with. Not so much as a ticket or hassle from them.

Huntington beach cops were pretty rough. I got worked over with belly clubs when I was a young teen for throwing water balloons at passing cars. Even then I didn't go home crying like a pussy for mistreatment.

Random stops, roadblocks, and DUI checkpoints I do like. They just had a smog one a few weeks ago on Irvine blvd overlooking Back Bay. If you have nothing to hide then you should not be worried about it.

Too many guys are really sensitive about any kind of inconvenience. I have nothing to hide so it's no bother to me at all. Almost without exception it's the sneaky bastards hiding something that are the first ones to piss and moan about the cops.

It just blows my mind that the OP would come on here crying and wining about getting busted for thumbing his nose at the law for turning his bike (and all the other ones in his fleet) into a squidmobile.

I too have a squidmobile of my own. I have made every effort to be seen and not heard as required by CA law. I have all my spare reflectors and smog stuff ready to put back on in case of a ticket. The OEM stuff was replaced with LED and a bright tail light to illuminate my plate. As far as smog stuff, I'm guilty as charged. I have all the original lean jets and charcoal canister ready to bolt back up. Keep in mind if it doesn't have the DOT stamp then your are subject to getting a ticket.
2012 Beta 520RS PLATED!!
ballisticexchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:45 PM   #39
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,729
The way I read this post Dan? (only met a couple of times) is simply calling bullshit on a bullshit stop.
No need to make more of it than it is. He's just venting. I'm sure I'd feel the same way.
This post is old. Let it go.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:57 PM   #40
mr. thumbs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
The way I read this post Dan? (only met a couple of times) is simply calling bullshit on a bullshit stop.
No need to make more of it than it is. He's just venting. I'm sure I'd feel the same way.
This post is old. Let it go.
X2

He was picked out and stopped because he was on a bike, not for the missing reflectors, that was just the excuse. Total BS. It's a rolling version of a motorcycle only checkpoint which is illegal in CA.