ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2014, 12:56 AM   #1
wilmar13 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
Are there any open roads in Angeles National Forest?

So I recently moved to LA from east coast. One thing I was excited about the move was the "364 miles of designated OHV routes" only a few miles away from my house.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/angeles/recreation/ohv

However in my attempts to discover these, I seem to only discover locked gates. I have ridden Angeles Crest to Wrightwood, all closed. Upper Tujunga, all closed. Angeles Forest Hwy a few miles past Upper Tujunga, all closed. Tried to ride up 39 and even that was closed 14mi from Crystal Lake (which i thought was open and is paved anyway!). Did ride some great pavement on Glendora Ridge and saw lots of cool looking dirt roads all with gates. Basically have done all the southern part of the forest and other than some campground loops can't find any evidence of this "364 miles of designated OHV routes". Am I missing something? Is most of the public land closed to the public? Should I have kept my RC8R instead of buying an 1190R in anticipation of moving out west?

I am whining a bit and know there is probably lots of stuff further out, but it is disappointing that all those roads that show up on maps are only for government employees to enjoy. Can anyone point out to me where the fun dirt roads and big bike doable trails are close to LA? I am 0 for 2 attempts so far.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:15 AM   #2
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,617
Lytle Creek off 15
or
Cleghorn off 15 B4 138
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:30 PM   #3
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,253
Rowher flats and Drinkwater flats are still open, i see big bikes on fire roads there all the time, there was so much more open last year, you could ride for hundreds of miles all dirt, but there was the lake hughes fire and they closed down lots of areas due to the fire.

Some areas were not affected by the fire at all, but they still locked the gates...
Old 08-20-2014, 05:45 PM   #4
wilmar13 OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks guys.

I spent a bit of time last night trying to decipher the closure listings on the USDA site, but gave up as the posted maps are not only scanned in at 90 deg off, but pretty much illegible anyway. I did get the gist was closure for fire damage.

I will have to visit a forest office to get the 411. I also was looking at Google maps, instead of the forest service maps and now see that most of the land on both sides of hwy2 is all closed off areas for wildlife conservation.

I am in northeast LA (Highland Park) a bit southwest of Pasadena so I guess I will just have to venture farther from home to Rowher and Cleghorn areas to get off the asphalt. At least the asphalt options are pretty awesome close by, even though there aren't many.

Was pretty disappointed that 39 was closed at E Fork Road, but if all the dirt up there is closed anyway, no biggie I guess.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:14 PM   #5
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,920
Rowher and Drinkwater and other forest roads off Bouquet and San Francisquito Roads.
I live in Silver Lake not far from you and it takes me 45 min without traffic(on the way there) and 1 hour with traffic (on the way home).

what are you riding? and are you riding there or trucking it?

Angeles Forest had a massive forest fire in 2009 that closed everything. we had some good times on those forest roads.

also you can make your way up to Los Padres Forest through Gorman OHV.

there's plenty of riding about 2+ hours out? whether north or east or south from L.A.
RAZR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:27 PM   #6
wilmar13 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
Rowher and Drinkwater and other forest roads off Bouquet and San Francisquito Roads.
I live in Silver Lake not far from you and it takes me 45 min without traffic(on the way there) and 1 hour with traffic (on the way home).

what are you riding? and are you riding there or trucking it?

Angeles Forest had a massive forest fire in 2009 that closed everything. we had some good times on those forest roads.

also you can make your way up to Los Padres Forest through Gorman OHV.

there's plenty of riding about 2+ hours out? whether north or east or south from L.A.
Riding a KTM 1190 Adventure R pig. Yeah riding there and back. Someday I will get the funds to add an EXC, at which point using the trailer makes sense, but I sold all my bikes when I learned of the impending move to CA to have one do-it-all bike because of housing $$ and garage space limitations in LA. Ended up with a house with a decent size garage after all, but hindsight is 20/20.

It isn't the end of the world that stuff is further out, but I moved from Charlotte, NC where I had a 90min ride to get to good stuff, and it is limiting in that means it is pretty much an all day affair. I mean at a minimum I like to get a good riding return at least equal in duration as I invested in the slog to get there and back. Much better if it is 30 min away, then you can get a decent ride in when you only have two hours.

Will look into the Gorman OHV too. Thanks!
Old 08-20-2014, 06:56 PM   #7
BugJuiice
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Not trying to thread jack but i thought it would pertain to this somewhat and be wasteful to make a new thread. Anyways..

I was planning on going camping this weekend in the Angeles National Forrest. Basically at a campsite that is not too far away from Mt. High Ski Resort. I could obviously just take the 2 up to it easily but i was wondering if there was a light off road route to there from Sylmar area. I say light because I am on a SM trim DRZ. From what I've come up is little Tujunga Canyon Rd. to Santa Clara Truck Trail (Forest Rte. 3N17) take that all the way across eastward till it basically meets with the 2. Thoughts?
BugJuiice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:33 PM   #8
wilmar13 OP
Studly Adventurer

Not a threadjack at all...

Not sure how far you could make it, but I can tell you there was a locked gate before you will get to Hwy 2 here: (Was there yesterday)

Dropped Pin
near Forest Service Road 3N17, Angeles National Forest, Palmdale, CA 93550
http://goo.gl/maps/ttspP

Edit: the point in the link is a bit up the road from where I tried for, it is actually just past the Y with 5N04 at Alder Saddle.

Maybe it is open to Angeles Forest Hwy and then you take the paved twisties over to Hwy 2 from there.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:12 AM   #9
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,920
as far as I've heard from other inmates, Santa Clara Divide 3N 17, is closed still and the forest service has no plans to open it any time soon due to downed trees on the road.

you'd have to ride Big Tujunga Canyon Road to Angeles Forest Hwy to Upper Big Tujunga Canyon Road to Angeles Crest Hwy to Wrightwood. all slab. but fun slab. twisties heaven.

wilmar13, Rowher and Drinkwater are OHV and better IMHO than Gorman.
Los Padres near Gorman has a ton of Forest Roads. you can also go to Frazier Park and enter the forest through Lockwood Valley Road and up Frazier Mountain Road at the ranger station (Chuchupate) up to Frazier Mountain. there's a chill campsite there too.

when it cools down you'll have the whole desert to explore and Jawbone and Cal City and the Husky Monument, also Death Valley and tons of great riding around Bishop.
RAZR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:24 AM   #10
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,220
and then there is this issue:

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/envi...ional-monument

President Obama may declare San Gabriel Mountains a national monument
By Steve Scauzillo, San Gabriel Valley Tribune
POSTED: 08/18/14, 11:19 AM PDT | UPDATED: 1 DAY AGO 3 COMMENTS

President Obama was asked by a local congresswoman to exercise his executive powers to declare 600,000 acres of the San Gabriel Mountains a national monument, a unilateral action that would bypass Congressional approval.

Out of frustration for the slow pace of her bill, Rep. Judy Chu, D-Pasadena announced Monday that she has had discussions with the White House to act alone and do essentially what her bill proposes — add more federal resources to the heavily-used Angeles and San Bernardino national forests for better recreation, trail upkeep and trash removal.

During a press conference Monday, Chu asked her supporters to put pressure on the White House to support a San Gabriel Mountains National Monument designation.

“Let’s call upon the administration to act and help us finally turn this vision into reality,” Chu said.

The U.S. Forest Service and the White House will hold a joint public meeting on Aug. 26 to draw out public comments for the national monument proposal, Chu said. No further information on the meeting was available.

“We’ve pitched it (to the Obama Administration). They are positively inclined,” Chu said.

In June, Chu authored HR 4858, the San Gabriel National Recreation Area Act, which is sitting in the House Subcommittee on Public Lands and Environmental Regulation. Chu said it could take years for the bill to make it to the floor for a vote and cited a just-released public opinion poll which found 80 percent of county residents polled support preserving the mountains and improving their aesthetics.

Asking the president to preserve natural and historic places through the Antiquities Act would be a first step toward establishing the national recreation area for the mountains. Later, an adopted bill would add the San Gabriel and Rio Hondo rivers and the Puente-Chino Hills to the NRA. A national monument only includes federal lands.

So far, Obama has established 11 national monuments, the last one was the Organ Mountains-Desert Peaks National Monument in south-central New Mexico, established on May 21. While 16 presidents have named national monuments since the law was written in 1906, the action could be viewed as controversial.

“This has been studied for months and there is opposition and support. It is very concerning to have something bypassing the process,” said Margaret Clark, a Rosemead city councilwoman who has voiced concerns over the NRA proposal.

Another vocal opponent, Glendora Councilwoman Judy Nelson, was surprised to learn Chu was asking the president for a national monument. Nelson seemed to prefer the legislative process as a way for cities and landowners to provide input on issues of local control and property rights.

“It sounds to be an attempt to bypass Congress,” Nelson said Monday. “I don’t know if this is including the will of the people.”

But the San Gabriel Mountains Forever, which includes Glendora resident and philanthropist Art Ludwick, former senior vice president of Rain Bird sprinklers which started in Glendora, supports the national recreation area and the national monument designation as a first-step.

A San Gabriel Mountain National Monument would protect the wild portions of the San Gabriel River, which supplies one-third of the county’s drinking water, according to the group. It would also preserve natural areas and threatened species such as the Nelson’s big horn sheep and the mountain yellow-legged frog. It would provide a better experience for the area’s 3 million annual visitors, the group said.

“What people care about is will the place be protected? And will the recreational areas be enhanced. People want to see simple things like more trash being picked up, better staffing and more partnerships,” said Daniel Rossman, chair of the group.

Mark Yelton, the manager of Camp Williams, a mobile home park in the forest along the East Fork of the San Gabriel River, said summer-time campers invade the area but leave their trash behind, including diapers that float downstream into the camp.

He was of two minds about inviting more federal agencies. He thinks it would help to have additional manpower but worried that a national monument is a step toward becoming a national park, forcing Camp Williams residents off their land.

Joshua Tree National Park was first a national monument. Today, the new Cesar E. Chavez National Monument in Keene, Calif. is run by the National Park Service and is free to the public.

Rossman said all current activities such as hunting, off-road vehicle riding in designated areas, hiking and camping in marked areas would remain legal in an NRA or a national monument.

Republican Jack Orswell, who is running against Chu in the November election, said he would like to see improvements to the mountain campgrounds and trails but that Chu’s proposal raises questions. “Now Judy Chu apparently wants to avoid the discussion and avoid answering the questions by having President Obama declare the area as a national monument,” he wrote in an e-mailed response.

Instead, Orswell wants to keep the Angeles National Forest jurisdiction intact and work with the House Natural Resources Committee to get the U.S. Forest Service, which manages the area, adequate funding.

Rossman said if the president were to declare a national monument, “the administration would seek as best it can to immediately enhance resources.”
Old 08-21-2014, 01:34 PM   #11
S H I F T Y
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
as far as I've heard from other inmates, Santa Clara Divide 3N 17, is closed still and the forest service has no plans to open it any time soon due to downed trees on the road.

you'd have to ride Big Tujunga Canyon Road to Angeles Forest Hwy to Upper Big Tujunga Canyon Road to Angeles Crest Hwy to Wrightwood. all slab. but fun slab. twisties heaven.

wilmar13, Rowher and Drinkwater are OHV and better IMHO than Gorman.
Los Padres near Gorman has a ton of Forest Roads. you can also go to Frazier Park and enter the forest through Lockwood Valley Road and up Frazier Mountain Road at the ranger station (Chuchupate) up to Frazier Mountain. there's a chill campsite there too.

when it cools down you'll have the whole desert to explore and Jawbone and Cal City and the Husky Monument, also Death Valley and tons of great riding around Bishop.
3n17 off of little tujunga is closed, I drive past it every day. I talked to a ranger just the other day about it. Originally the word was spring 2014, then fall 2014, now the word is it might not open at all. I'm sure there are downed trees but I don't think that is the REAL reason it is still closed.
S H I F T Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:44 PM   #12
bilmunson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
San Bernadino National Forest

A bit of a ride to get there but hundreds of miles of 1190 doable stuff. I'd go to the Lyttly Creek Ranger Station and get maps and a list of what is closed.
bilmunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:10 PM   #13
BugJuiice
n00b

Oddometer: 2
oh well. I guess pavement twistys it is then. Thanks guys!
BugJuiice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:08 PM   #14
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 5,475
Angeles NF thread

Here's a link to a thread on the Angeles National Forest...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...+forest+report
Old 08-21-2014, 10:15 PM   #15
wilmar13 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmunson View Post
A bit of a ride to get there but hundreds of miles of 1190 doable stuff. I'd go to the Lyttly Creek Ranger Station and get maps and a list of what is closed.
Thanks, will do.

Sucks to learn that most of the roads in Angeles Forest are closed. Perhaps one day the king's deer will be on offer again to we peasants that live here. Until then, just have to travel farther I guess.