Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2014, 03:41 AM   #31
Hamish71
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Talking

I don't get the 700....:)
It's like saying, can I have Porsche....but I Don't want that wing,can you paint it old man beige, put steel wheels on it, oh and. Y the way can you make it slower....cause you know. I'm a old man and wNt to be safe and conservative:)

Moto guzzi.....cool. As in , check out the two chicks on the guzzi! Maybe I can turn 'em:)

F700....not cool. As in, look at those two girls who borrowed grandpas bike.

Go the f800 with the lowered suspension if height is a problem. Tubeless is a furphy. Put ultra hd tubes in, forget about it. If you do end up liking dirt, you are already kitted.

At the end of the day, despite my jibes, but the bike that makes you smile:)

But.....you know.....one of those bikes is cool, and the other one is "safe".:):):)
Old 08-25-2014, 09:20 AM   #32
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,737
Don't get too scared by reports of problems with the 2009 bikes. I own one and it came with a laundry list of problems, all fixed for free under its 3 year warranty. It has been problem free for 5 years. It wasn't ready for prime time IMO.

BMW has made a number of improvements/changes to the bike during that period. Most of them, unknown to the customer, as they can occur anytime during the model year.

I really don't understand the point of lowering any of the models via the suspension route. It takes away its off road capabilities and converting it to a road bike only. If that's the plan, buy a DL650, it is cheaper and they are problem free.

As for lacking soul, I dnk if that means someone doesn't like the looks or are talking about engine response and vibes. If the latter look for another bike.

When Triumph came out, there was comparison threads. The F800 was just as quick in 1/4 runs. Its power delivery is different, it makes more torque but it doesn't rev as high and as a result doesn't make as much HP. You either like that or you don't.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:43 AM   #33
1911MotoChick OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Don't get too scared by reports of problems with the 2009 bikes. I own one and it came with a laundry list of problems, all fixed for free under its 3 year warranty. It has been problem free for 5 years. It wasn't ready for prime time IMO.

BMW has made a number of improvements/changes to the bike during that period. Most of them, unknown to the customer, as they can occur anytime during the model year.

I really don't understand the point of lowering any of the models via the suspension route. It takes away its off road capabilities and converting it to a road bike only. If that's the plan, buy a DL650, it is cheaper and they are problem free.

As for lacking soul, I dnk if that means someone doesn't like the looks or are talking about engine response and vibes. If the latter look for another bike.

When Triumph came out, there was comparison threads. The F800 was just as quick in 1/4 runs. Its power delivery is different, it makes more torque but it doesn't rev as high and as a result doesn't make as much HP. You either like that or you don't.
Yeah, overall from what I have read and what I am hearing, it's a good solid bike. I dont actually need it lowered at all. I sat on it w/ each seat (except the rally seat). The regular one, I was fine with, a little higher than my guzzi but not by much; I have pretty long legs/arms despite my 5'5" stature. And big hands and feet (which is perfect since I shoot guns and I can shoot just about anything ;p )

Well, I think they *think* it lacks character. I personally love the design and think it's sexy, all in the eye I think. I just thought it was funny both people told me the same thing. To me, she looks like a classy lady haha No but sitting on it, moving it around w/ my legs and the looks; this is why I chose this bike over all the other bikes I straddled. That said, a test ride will be the determining factor if I buy it or no. I have a feeling I will love it but you never know.

Thanks for all the replies, has been extremely helpful! My plan is to get it on Sept 2 if the demo ride goes well. I actually have someone coming to look at my Guzzi Wed. I did tell them it's available after Sept 2 however. I would hate to sell my bike and for some reason the new bike doesnt work out. I'm sure it will but I play things safe.

Thanks again! I am really excited! I am planning on not putting much on her except the bags and the package that includes center stand, warmers etc... I like the way it looks naked.
1911MotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:50 AM   #34
1911MotoChick OP
Adventurer

Oh as for the dirt... I picked the 700 over the 800, not because of height really, the low seat on the 800 was perfect for me. I dont have the inkling to go off road. I rode dirtbikes for over 8 years; I much prefer street now. However, in my long rides I have done, we have encountered some dirt roads, sand etc... (and my Guzzi always stayed upright, I am contributing my dirt experience for that, cause shit got slippery before). I do long haul long day or even weekend/week long excursions. So I want a bike more suited for that; also one that can handle the off road better than the guzzi if needed. But I wont be tricking it our w/ the off road accessories. I like the way it sits with me and the weight of it. Seems to click; I sat on it and thought yeah, I can ride this. Had the same feeling with the guzzi, and i never in a million years thought I would ever ride street. That changed quickly!
Old 08-25-2014, 10:09 AM   #35
wizze
Wizze = Wise

Oddometer: 1,042
800GS has no soul or character? Buy what calls to you. When I first saw pics of the 800 before it was released, I knew it was for me. Yes 2009 was a bad year but we were also the guinea pigs. Thankfully BMW was dumb enough to give us a 3 year warranty to work out the bugs.
2005 BMW R1200RT
Is that it?
wizze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:11 AM   #36
1911MotoChick OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizze View Post
800GS has no soul or character? Buy what calls to you. When I first saw pics of the 800 before it was released, I knew it was for me. Yes 2009 was a bad year but we were also the guinea pigs. Thankfully BMW was dumb enough to give us a 3 year warranty to work out the bugs.
The 650 at first called to me at last year's motorcycle show, then when I sat on the 700, I knew that was the one I wanted! I have then sat on several bikes just to be sure but I keep coming back to the F700GS. I love it.

It's got soul to me! She's a classy lady (I want the red one), that's how I put it hehe
Old 08-25-2014, 10:43 AM   #37
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,200
Eileen - Moto Guzzis are purchases of the heart, not of the mind, they are quirky Italian works of art! The issues you described don’t seem out of line compared to others I know who ride (and love) these bikes.... apart from the swollen tank which is probably due to the US phenomenon of high ethanol fuel - the bike was likely never designed to consume this, as ethanol is not used in any notably quantity in Europe (and where it is, it is very clearly marked).

For strictly on road riding, there isn’t much to choose between the F800GS and F700GS as the torque and power curves are virtually the same up to 5,500 rpm. If anything, the F8 has more presence on the road because it is the taller bike with more substantial fairings, particularly if you spec it with the aux lamps which make it appear wider. On the other hand, the F7 has more road biased wheel sizes, making the handling nippier on the road.

As others have mentioned, most of the initial quirks have been ironed out - my 2012 F800GS has only been back to the dealership for routine maintenance. I find the F-series a gentle, comfy bike - everything is smooth from the power delivery to the softly sprung suspension. You can find yourself inadvertently speeding because there are no peaks in the power delivery, on a chart it is a steady line nearly all the way to peak power - these bikes cover ground much more quickly than they feel.

A few people who ride hard off road have noted that the rear shock mount can bend, but I question just how much abuse needs to be done to the bike for this to happen - after many thousand miles, 2-up and fully loaded on mine around Europe, through the Alps and along some less-than-smooth trails, the mount is still like new on mine. Some early 2013 models (with updated switches) had failures due to water ingress but Nokia who manufacture the switches have since sorted out the quality control issues. Someone above noted the steering head bearing - I think mine was replaced under warranty at the 12,000 mile service, but even out of warranty this is not a pricy part.

Also someone mentioned the cracking tank cover - this is a mystery as it is very localised to US models, and almost unheard of outside the market. However, it is an aesthetic issue rather than a functional issue or a danger.

Since 2008, BMW have refined these bikes into reliable machines, and since the revisions in 2013, they have improved the bikes even further.

Edit: Forgot to mention - the comfort seat (pictured below) - or an aftermarket which works for you - is a must for long distances... the original is stricter on your bottom than a Schulleiterin rapping your knuckles with a ruler... If possible, try sitting on one so, if you like it, you can factory order the bike with the seat - this will save you a huge chunk of change.

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle

duffs screwed with this post 08-25-2014 at 10:57 AM
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:58 AM   #38
1911MotoChick OP
Adventurer

Awesome, thanks for the info.

Ooh sexy I love your bike!

I sat on three seats, normal, lower and comfort. The comfort was ...comfortable, but also felt like ... i couldnt move as much as I might need to...

The normal was good, about 1/2" higher than my current bike but the lower, that one felt good and not too low.

I actually have an airhawk that i use on my guzzi, that will fit my bmw (i'm talking like it's mine already!) so I think i'm going for the lower. But I want to ride with both and see.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:25 AM   #39
duffs
It's been useful

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911MotoChick View Post
Awesome, thanks for the info.

Ooh sexy I love your bike!

I sat on three seats, normal, lower and comfort. The comfort was ...comfortable, but also felt like ... i couldnt move as much as I might need to...

The normal was good, about 1/2" higher than my current bike but the lower, that one felt good and not too low.

I actually have an airhawk that i use on my guzzi, that will fit my bmw (i'm talking like it's mine already!) so I think i'm going for the lower. But I want to ride with both and see.
Haha thanks - I agree the comfort seat limits how much you can move about and your airhawk may be just what you need. Some people swear by the low seat as it’s firmer than the original and more comfortable for some.

If you’re interested, I did a ‘first look’ at the F700GS when I had one for a courtesy bike last year - http://www.gelandestrasse.co.uk/2013...pressions.html

Old 08-25-2014, 11:29 AM   #40
1911MotoChick OP
Adventurer

Awesome, good review! I am picking it for the reasons why it is different. I do travel but dont need a ton of stuff with me; the bags will suffice. Also, I did read it was more flickable/road friendly. And that's where 99% of my time is spent. Nice review, thank you!
Old 08-25-2014, 01:12 PM   #41
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post
They both recommend premium fuel. The F700GS just has a detuned version of that engine. The main noticeable difference is at upper rpms though, if you compare the torque curves. In daily driving at lower rpm, there is not that much difference, from what I hear.
2013 model F800GS is recommended to run on 89 Octane.
Indicated by factory sticker on fuel filler cap.
Have never heard anything remotely close to ping from mine, to include climbing Atigun pass 2-up running 87 octane.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:45 PM   #42
Pete7874
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Power View Post
2013 model F800GS is recommended to run on 89 Octane.
You're right. My bad.

The wording on the fuel cap is a bit unfortunate, since the word "Premium" typically signifies 91+ octane.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:19 PM   #43
B_C_Ries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,399
I have a 2013 F800Gs but I recently used a F700GS as a day loaner while my bike got the 12,000 mile service. What I noticed most is that you really feel the road a lot more with the F700. I was feeling bumps on the f700 that I wouldn't feel with the F800Gs.
It does seem easier to turn and has plenty of power but is missing a bit at the top.
Really easy bike to live with. I got comfortable with it pretty quickly but I was happy to get reunited with my F800GS.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:23 PM   #44
Rgconner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
Most pumps in the US read in RON, not AKI.

89 AKI == 91 RON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7874 View Post
You're right. My bad.

The wording on the fuel cap is a bit unfortunate, since the word "Premium" typically signifies 91+ octane.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:35 AM   #45
duffs
It's been useful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgconner View Post
Most pumps in the US read in RON, not AKI.

89 AKI == 91 RON

That's not right... US/Canada use AKI and most of the rest of the world uses RON (Japan uses JIS).

89-90 AKI (NA mid grade/premium) = 94-95 RON (European regular)

91-94 AKI (NA premium/premium plus) = 96-99 RON (European premium)

As long as you don't use the cheap 87 stuff in NA you're fine.