User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2008, 09:45 PM   #6301
Django Loco
Banned

Oddometer: 3,785
Start some new threads guys ....

As other long time ADV'er's have pointed out here about this thread ... it would be far more interesting if .... as you take delivery of your new bikes you would start some NEW THREADS about the bike , rather than perpetuating this far too long, hard to navigate and too boring thread. Way too much repetition here.

And did I mention it doesn't offer much info based on actual riders .... uh .. riding. Some euro guys but not much else. Did I read every page?? Hell NO! But I'd really like to know more about the bike.

So guys stop with the speculation/anticipation and toss some fresh stuff on the fire about your new bikes. There is no doubt there will arise enough issues that will keep everyone busy ... but why put all on one thread?

I have a DR650. They also have a BIG THREAD. Is was useful .... Well, it was for the first 100 pages or so .... maybe. But now its just a jumble of crap. And you know what .... same here.

Hey, I thought BMW guys were smart
Lets let the real info flow.....
Django Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:16 PM   #6302
klarue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Soon as we get 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django Loco
So guys stop with the speculation/anticipation and toss some fresh stuff on the fire about your new bikes. There is no doubt there will arise enough issues that will keep everyone busy ... but why put all on one thread?

I have a DR650. They also have a BIG THREAD. Is was useful .... Well, it was for the first 100 pages or so .... maybe. But now its just a jumble of crap. And you know what .... same here.
Hey Loco - I can guarantee there will be new threads once the bikes are delivered in the U.S. As one who follows the UK GS'er forums pretty carefully, as well as the F800Riders forum, it's clear there is plenty to talk and brag about once the bikes are subjected to real world rides.

BTW, I drove my friend today to pick up a Suzuki DR650 this afternoon. He's been researching for a couple of months and finally decided this was the bike for him. Can't wait to get my F800GS and go ridin' with him. Have you done any "must-have" farkling that I should pass along?
Old 08-17-2008, 10:20 AM   #6303
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 808
Quote:
As other long time ADV'er's have pointed out here about this thread ... it would be far more interesting if .... as you take delivery of your new bikes you would start some NEW THREADS about the bike , rather than perpetuating this far too long, hard to navigate and too boring thread. Way too much repetition here.

And did I mention it doesn't offer much info based on actual riders .... uh .. riding. Some euro guys but not much else. Did I read every page?? Hell NO! But I'd really like to know more about the bike.

Well garsh, smarty pants, if the powers that be would actually LET us have another thread or two we MIGHT, but every time someone tries something RADICAL like that, it gets RE-DIRECTED here? Do you think we WANT a zillion page thread?

And do you THINK we wouldn't LOVE to talk about our bikes. Just one little detail in the way--we don't have no STINKING BIKES!!

Hopefully once we get our bikes we'll be allowed out of this little sandbox into the big playground. Until then, have fun paging through 6000+ posts looking for whatever it is you want to find. It's in here, I promise
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 11:49 AM   #6304
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,434
Quote:

We were forced into one thread...The posting Nazi just released us a couple of weeks ago... You are right I am done trying to get a delivery date! its over ...

I have set aside $13000 for my bike. The price jump in accesories and delivery (total of about $500) will use up the extra cash I was going to use on the new Zumo. This is why earliy in the game I was trying to get confirmed pricing...Even the guy a BMW said the price was going to be what was listed on the internet....He was wrong...
Dear Mr. Labat:

Thank you for contacting BMW Motorrad USA. We appreciate your inquiry.

I apologize for any confusion; however, pricing on the F 800 GS has been published on the website. I hope this information helps.

If you have any further questions, please respond to this e-mail or contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117. Our office hours are Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time.

Regards,
Casey Roach
BMW Motorrad USA

Old 08-17-2008, 01:36 PM   #6305
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,678
bitch'n won't get your bike here

quit being a bunch of mary's.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:31 PM   #6306
Dansrc51
I need a cape....

Oddometer: 1,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddaddy
quit being a bunch of mary's.
that's firkin funny
Old 08-17-2008, 06:02 PM   #6307
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansrc51
that's firkin funny
not bitchen only crying nothin but a cry baby
Old 08-17-2008, 06:42 PM   #6308
Dr. Zaius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Wink While we wait...

Might as well talk about it here...

While I wait for my 800GS to make it to my garage...I am buying new gear. Before most Farkles...I am investing in gear.

Here is where I am at:
REV'IT Cayenne Pro Jacket
REV'IT Cayenne Pants
REV'IT Apache Boots
REV'IT Stream & Zenith Waterproof Gloves
Arai vector White Contrast Helmet.

I have been researching gear for a long time and the ADV inmates have provided most of the research for each one of these pieces. Tried to get the best in safety and the most versatile for varying weather conditions.

Talk about looking like a complete rookie...new gear riding a new bike...could be in for some heckling!
Old 08-17-2008, 08:05 PM   #6309
space
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to Spill
Here is where I am at:
REV'IT Cayenne Pro Jacket
REV'IT Cayenne Pants
REV'IT Apache Boots
REV'IT Stream & Zenith Waterproof Gloves
Arai vector White Contrast Helmet.
Hey, not a bad way to start, though. I love my Rev'it Off Track jacket and Dakar pants. And Arai helmets are quite nice once you figure out which style fits you.
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:18 PM   #6310
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,116
Question Put all of it on ... then ...........

Quote:

Talk about looking like a complete rookie...new gear riding a new bike...could be in for some heckling!
Put all the new gear on, then go outside and roll down a hill

Seriously ... if you don't mind, tell me about why you went with the Arai vector White Contrast Helmet ... I gotta get a new one too... but if it's a white one ... I may have to get out the black sharpie

Jim
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:24 AM   #6311
Dr. Zaius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
Put all the new gear on, then go outside and roll down a hill

Seriously ... if you don't mind, tell me about why you went with the Arai vector White Contrast Helmet ... I gotta get a new one too... but if it's a white one ... I may have to get out the black sharpie

Jim
Simply because of the safety factor with White - more visibility. I wanted a little style...so I went with the contrast instead of the pure white...however the bottom line came down to visibility. Otherwise...some of the Arai colors are really nice looking.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:27 AM   #6312
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,119
Quote:
Simply because of the safety factor with White - more visibility. I wanted a little style...so I went with the contrast instead of the pure white...however the bottom line came down to visibility. Otherwise...some of the Arai colors are really nice looking.
Read an Aussie study a few years ago which tried to ID bike recognition to cages. No, I lack the link.

Anyway the study concluded that the single thing you can do to most increase cager awareness of you on a bike is to wear a white hat. Yep. A white helmet was more effective than your headlight on or wearing a hi viz 'stitch or anything. I was amazed and now wish I'd saved the link and the study to show others.

I'd sure also like to see some similar studies done now to either refute or back that one up. Anyway, when my wife was shopping for her new hat, I insisted she get a white one.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:32 AM   #6313
Karel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
I guess first 658 is here

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374805
Karel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:48 AM   #6314
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,116
Laugh White helmet / yellow-green hi-ligher jacket

White helmet / yellow-green hi-ligher jacket ... "iceberg" bike ... yup it all matches ...

I'm gonna do it anyway.... better seen then not seen but "looking good" ....

Jim
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:23 AM   #6315
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 808
I've read (but can't cite where) that frontal visibility is the key, so helmet/jacket/bike color all come into play.

While the slow, gray GS8's won't look dated as soon as the faster yellow/black models, they also won't be as easy to spot on the road. That's my #1 reason for choosing the DeWalt/Bumblebee over Lost-in-the-Fog gray. Not sure I can do a white helmet though - just too boring. Arai used to have a 'sport yellow' color that would be perfect for the Bee.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote