Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2006, 11:39 AM   #91
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad
I agree, the GS has filled a great nitch in the tour'n bike market. My comments were more geared towards the folks that think this will be the dream midsized lightweight twin we all dream about.
Well, if that did come to pass, then BONUS! I dunno, Rad, they are doing some wacky things these days. An HP-ish 800GS would obviously really turn turn some cranks, but I'll settle for a proper GS Adventure-Lite.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:07 PM   #92
Limper
Hot

Oddometer: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch
Well, if that did come to pass, then BONUS! I dunno, Rad, they are doing some wacky things these days. An HP-ish 800GS would obviously really turn turn some cranks, but I'll settle for a proper GS Adventure-Lite.
:rabia
Limper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 07:13 PM   #93
Raven
Lone Gunman

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
I'll settle for a proper GS Adventure-Lite.
Would that be like an HP2 with a bigger tank and bag mounts? That's exactly what I want.
2005 Giant TCR 0

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the
children of men as a whole experience it.
Avoidance of danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life
is either a daring adventure, or nothing."
Helen Keller, The Open Door, 1902
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 07:27 PM   #94
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,170
Quote:
........but I'll settle for a proper GS Adventure-Lite.
Yup
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 10:17 PM   #95
Django Loco
Banned

Oddometer: 3,785
Quote:
Dear BMWfolk,
The more I look at pics of the new 800, the more I want a GS version. My 1150 has served me well, but the more I ride my thumpers, the less I enjoy giant motorcycles. I do however enjoy easy long distance cruising along with dirt two-track & such, so build me an F800GS, please. Give it nice fuel capacity, a decent windscreen and offer it with luggage. No, make that durable luggage. And for crying out loud, offer it with ABS, but without linking and power assist. Enough already. Include a sidestand that doesn't lean the thing over at a 45 degree angle like your big GSs, along with a centerstand for maintenance & such. The belt is good, leave it be. Give me reasonably long travel quality suspension bits and scoop the seat to avoid the usual & silly skyscraper stand over heights.
No doubt BMW are already working on a GS version, but its at least two years away while Beta testing goes on in the EU markets with the two current versions coming along soon.

The motor reminds me on my old TDM 850. Same configuration and a good adventure bike motor as seen in the Tennere, which won more Dakar races than anyone, ever. (7 or 8 I think)

Your parameters for a touring/adventure version are good ones but as pointed out, some kind of HP or more spartan off road version would be cool. I too was really delighted to see belt drive. To me, its the drive system of the future.

But can BMW really think light? R12GS is a good sign, and your right, it does ride even lighter than it is. But they really have long way to go to understand
true lightweight, the Japanese are eons ahead here. (when they want to be)

BMW have the opportunity to jump into this growing niche. The middleweight
area is ripe for something to happen. For years the Euros have moaned at Honda for not updating the Africa Twin, and here you see endless threads about making the Wee Strom a "real" adventure dirt bike, yet Suzuki look at you like your from Mars when you mention they should build a Dakar version
of the Wee Strom. Yamaha are only doing a single in Europe (XT660) and zero here. When I asked someone there why, they replied....."the numbers just aren't there....." Hmmph! I think they are much more interested in the Star line than the fastest growing segment of bike sales: Adventure bikes.

So the court is open for BMW to score. To me a lot really depends on the motor. Will it be able to out run a DL650? (it better), will it cost almost as much as a R12GS and double Wee Strom? You know that TDM motor was reliable but SUPER heavy. And it really lacked character. I always hated the sound and feel of the thing even though it was a good bike in many ways.
I wonder what firing order BMW will use? Anyone know?

Question:
I know I've read it somewhere but can't remember......Who is building the motor......is it Rotax for now or are BMW doing it all in house?

Django Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 11:26 PM   #96
RiverRat280
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
I'd love a F800GS as my biggest gripe is the weight on my GS but would the 800 be any lighter? You'd think so but the F800ST weighs 463lbs(sans fuel) and the R1200ST weighs 452lbs! The R1200GS weighs 439lbs so the 800 would probally just be a little smaller and a bit cheaper.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who niether enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat"

-Theodore Roosevelt
RiverRat280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 11:41 PM   #97
Limper
Hot

Oddometer: 1,131
I'm not sure any volume motorcycle manufacturer can honestly ignore how popular the GS bikes have been in recent years. Even BMW must see the reward in updating/uprating the F650GS. We've already seen Buell release the Uly. Rumors are swirling about Yamaha jumping on board with an updated TDM/dualpurpose bike. Recent reports have hinted at a Moto Guzzi entry loosely based on the Breva, Aprilia sharpening the Capo, and surely Kawasaki (just releasing the 650 twin sportbike) and Honda should be planning some kind of run at a mid-price entry. Hell, even a 2/3 Triumph Tiger is rumored. I think when we see the '07 bikes break cover later this year, we will see at least two new bikes that compete in the range of all road & off road.
Limper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 12:18 AM   #98
Redne Dab
Poseur Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 1,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limper
I think when we see the '07 bikes break cover later this year, we will see at least two new bikes that compete in the range of all road & off road.

That would be really cool.

Brad
Old 03-19-2006, 12:45 AM   #99
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 67,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limper
I'm not sure any volume motorcycle manufacturer can honestly ignore how popular the GS bikes have been in recent years.
Honda seems to be doing a wonderful job of doing just that.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 05:26 PM   #100
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,617
After seeing for the first time in person the new 1200 GS Adventure, I gotta say that I doubt BMW even remembers what I consider to be the golden rule of motorcycle design: "More power, less weight." Seems their motto goes more like "Make it as fucking ugly as possible and see who'll give us twenty grand for it." Thought I'd like that new Adventure a LOT more than I did when I saw it. Gave me a new respect for Ewan and Charlie, having to pick up those 1150's all the damn time.

That said, I'd love to see an F800GS. It'd have to be at least as light as my 650, and personally I want one that is nice to look at as well. Oh yeah, and I don't wanna have to sell a kidney to be able to afford one. Also, give us the option of simplicity. That is, I prefer no ABS, the least amount of things to break the better. Luggage that doesn't fall apart when you look at it would also be a nice bonus.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:15 AM   #101
jp4evr
I'm a dad, have a ceegar

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Django Loco
. When I asked someone there why, they replied....."the numbers just aren't there....." Hmmph! I think they are much more interested in the Star line than the fastest growing segment of bike sales: Adventure bikes.

Fastest growing segment perhaps - but is it the largest revenue producing segment.

Not arguing your point that this would be a great bike - and probably get my money, but we have to keep in mind that there is huge passion here, but probably more pure dollars in the long-standing cruiser / sport bike market.

[/opinion]
jp4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 11:42 AM   #102
Django Loco
Banned

Oddometer: 3,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp4evr

Fastest growing segment perhaps - but is it the largest revenue producing segment.

Not arguing your point that this would be a great bike - and probably get my money, but we have to keep in mind that there is huge passion here, but probably more pure dollars in the long-standing cruiser / sport bike market.

[/opinion]
You are right JP, in my passion for our favorite bikes I left out a couple things.
The revenue is NOT there for adventure bikes, not yet anyway.

And thats why the suits stare into space when one of us "Adventure Nuts" starts on a rant. And another bit of hyperbole on my part......the fastest growing segment is for the UK only. Don't know about the USA, I know the niche is picking up speed in the USA but don't know for sure if it is, indeed, "the fastest growing segment". Probably not, but it is making a blip on the radar for sure.

Yep, its that Cruiser fly in the oinment thing. All the big four are totally
high on cruisers. You know what it is they love most about them? I'll
tell you.........purchase of accessories at the time of new bike purchase.
Its a huge number, an astounding number. Additionally, post purchase numbers are big too. Think in the $5000 range, this for most metric cruisers
like the Star and others.
Django Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:09 AM   #103
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Dear BMW,

Please take this bike, add your modern 800cc twin in lieu of the old 750 Yammie, and while you're at it add ABS (provided it's switchable on the fly), tubeless-but-spoked tyres, and factory luggage. And an optional big tank wouldn't hurt.

Regards,

Raider.

PS: Yamaha and Honda, copy all of the above but use your 900 parallel twin and 750 V-twin respectively.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:34 AM   #104
heikkil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by raider
...And an optional big tank wouldn't hurt.
How big do you want? Stock Super Tenere has 26l.
heikkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:21 AM   #105
rob_evans
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Haven't seen in mentioned here yet, but in this week's Motorcycle News (UK), there's a brief interview with Herbert Diess of BMW where he says:
Currently we have the F800S and ST, but we will also be building an enduro version, like the GS, and a naked bike.

No more details than that, though.

Rob
rob_evans is offline   Reply With Quote