Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2005, 07:17 AM   #1
MapBoy OP
here there be dragons...

Oddometer: 455
KLR650 Break-in 500 miles?

Good Morning All -
First, let me say that as a new rider, this forum has absolutely priceless. Thanks for all the great advice. I shall someday buy you each a beer.

I have just purchased a new KLR 650, and am going through the break-in period. According to the manual, I should stay under 4000RPM for this period. My dealer says not to worry much about that, and that as a new rider, I won't stress the bike in my few few weeks anyway.

Being 6'4 and 285 pounds (i.e. a giant wind screen and a fat ass to boot), I'm finding that at 4000RPM I can hit 55-60MPH on the highway which is just a tad slower than I'm comfortable given the traffic. If I bump it up a notch to 4200 to 4500 or so, I am at 65-ish and happy.

Is this under 4000RPMs rule a rule like ATGATT, or more a rule like "beer then liquor, never sicker"? If I should live strictly by the book I will, but it seems all my trips and commutes involve at least 10 or 15 minutes on the highway.

Thanks for any help!
-MapBoy
MapBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 07:36 AM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,692
Don't sweat it, ride up to 5K, but keep the speeds changing. You aren't likely to hurt anything.

Have you pulled your Doohickey yet?

Make sure you check out the KLR board (Click here) for information on it.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 07:36 AM   #3
Mr Kawasaki
Sardonios Irritatus

Oddometer: 6,346
I would be more concerned about keeping the revs in one place. Alter your throttle. Riding in town is a good way to break in an engine. Don't lug the engine and don't redline it either. You will be fine. There is an article about breaking in engines that dispells the "don't rev over" myth. Does anyone have a link to it. I tend to believe it myself.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:38 AM   #4
Mr Kawasaki
Sardonios Irritatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Don't sweat it, ride up to 5K, but keep the speeds changing. You aren't likely to hurt anything.

Have you pulled your Doohickey yet?

Make sure you check out the KLR board (Click here) for information on it.

Jim
Don't leave me hanging man.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97019
Old 10-12-2005, 07:47 AM   #5
TomN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,503
Gratz, hope you are enjoying it.
TomN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 07:56 AM   #6
MapBoy OP
here there be dragons...

Oddometer: 455
Wow, I've only been riding for 4 days and 156 miles and already someone is asking about pulling my doohickey. Gosh, I'm flattered, but...

No, haven't done it yet, but I plan on it this winter. That post showing the step by step process is outstanding.

Thanks for the feedback.
MapBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 08:16 AM   #7
Rustic
Pass the gas.

Oddometer: 114
It'll be fine. Just don't drone along at a constant RPM. Like Mr K said, vary your speed. From what I've read, that's supposed to help the rings seat nicely.

BTW, that's a superb doo-replacement report, Mr K. Well done!
Rustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 09:27 AM   #8
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,627
I kept my last 05 under 4K for 500 miles but took backroads to work everyday and varied the speeds, etc. I think it's all BS. I never even had my valves adjusted. Just changed the oil/filter. Got divorced, sold it.

Bought my current 05 with 900 miles and it was piped, jetted and K&Ned at 250 miles. That makes me more nervous than your predicament. 3800 miles on it now and no issues. DH this winter as well as a valve check/adjustment.

Ride on
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 09:42 AM   #9
Mr Kawasaki
Sardonios Irritatus

I found the site (or one of them).

On the Street: Warm the engine up completely:Because of the wind resistance, you don't need to use higher gears like you would on a dyno machine. The main thing is to load the engine by opening the throttle hard in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear.

Realistically, you won't be able to do full throttle runs even in 2nd gear on most bikes without exceeding 65 mph / 104 kph.
The best method is to alternate between short bursts of hard acceleration and deceleration. You don't have to go over 65 mph / 104 kph to properly load the rings. Also, make sure that you're not being followed by another bike or car when you decelerate, most drivers won't expect that you'll suddenly slow down, and we don't want
anyone to get hit from behind !!

The biggest problem with breaking your engine in on the street (besides police) is if you ride the bike on the freeway (too little throttle = not enough pressure on the rings) or if you get stuck in slow city traffic. For the first 200 miles or so, get out into the country where you can vary the speed more
and run it through the gears !
Be Safe On The Street ! Watch your speed ! When you're not used to the handling of a new vehicle, you should accelerate only on the straightaways, then slow down extra early for the turns. Remember that both hard acceleration and hard engine braking (deceleration) are equally important during the break in process.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:44 AM   #10
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kawasaki
I just added my own Doohickey thread to yours Click here

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 11:55 AM   #11
Mr Kawasaki
Sardonios Irritatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
I just added my own Doohickey thread to yours Click here

Jim
Cool. Now what's a torque wrench?
Old 10-12-2005, 04:54 PM   #12
leadvegas
I want to see your uvula

Oddometer: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kawasaki
Cool. Now what's a torque wrench?
To understand what a torque wrench is, one must first understand torque.

Torque defined: When you're taking a piss with morning wood and push down, your feet leave the floor.

leadvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:30 PM   #13
Channing
Channing

Oddometer: 27
Thumb Torque Defined:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadvegas
To understand what a torque wrench is, one must first understand torque.

Torque defined: When you're taking a piss with morning wood and push down, your feet leave the floor.

O M G I AM ROLLING RIGHT NOW .....I just emailed that to all my buddies and everybody is gettting a kick out of it....nice
Channing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:00 PM   #14
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,376
+1 on: warm ups, vary the throttle, do decelerations, don't worry about the RPMs too much, and work the engine a bit harder each ride (within reason).

ABSOLUTLY do the 500 mile valve check.

Richen the idle mix too.

Have fun!!
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:13 PM   #15
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,622
I observed the 4000 RPM ceiling as per owners' manual on my '08. Never droned, never lugged. All engine braking. Rowed through the gears.. etc. Initial oil change at 50, then 250,500,1000,2500 and now I'm sticking to the 2500 interval.

Mine uses oil at 5000 rpm. Maybe I should have been harder on break-in.
Initial valve lash adjustment just before 1000, all on the tight side of spec, now they're all on the loose side.

Mine is happiest between 4-4.5k RPM. So much so that I'm going to go with the 16T countershaft sprocket as soon as I get around to it.
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote