Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2005, 11:24 AM   #1
Jim Moore OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,025
I'm sick of this unreliable piece-of-shit BMW.

Absolutely ridiculous. I'm riding my '02 R1150GS with 53,000 miles on it this morning. I look down and notice that a bulb is burnt out in my turn signal. After only 53K! That does it. I'm gettin' a Buell.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 11:30 AM   #2
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,147
The bulb is probably corroded from lack of use. No one in FL uses those things anyway.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 11:31 AM   #3
ninermatt
MORE COWBELL!

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore
Absolutely ridiculous. I'm riding my '02 R1150GS with 53,000 miles on it this morning. I look down and notice that a bulb is burnt out in my turn signal. After only 53K! That does it. I'm gettin' a Buell.
I know what your saying, I had one go at 29k. And believe it or not, I actually have to change the oil and replace the filter in mine from time to time! What a pile of shit I'll be right there in line with you!
ninermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 11:42 AM   #4
NAVIGATOR
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninermatt
I know what your saying, I had one go at 29k. And believe it or not, I actually have to change the oil and replace the filter in mine from time to time! What a pile of shit I'll be right there in line with you!
And don´t forget you have to put ga$$$$ in the thing too, I´ll get a mad max looking scooter
NAVIGATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 11:42 AM   #5
PacWestGS
Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer: 10,866
I'm with ya', my tail light bulb broke with only 4000 miles on it. I swear if something had happened again in the last 34,000 miles I'd have gotten rid of this bike. It really is a piece of something isn't it!

'02 1150GS

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. (Albert Einstein)
PacWestGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 12:57 PM   #6
Ritten
Swamp thing

Oddometer: 471
WHAT??? Man am I glad I read this thread as I'm supposed to pick up a brand new 1200GS next weekend!!! With problems like these I hope that BMW would have taken care of them by now. I may put off the purchase until I can be sure that I won't need to change the oil or any light bulbs for at least 200,000 miles like the Harleys can go.
Ritten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 01:26 PM   #7
BarkinDogs

Oddometer: n/a
Fortunately, we are BMW owners, and therefore we are rich. I just have the help take care of these things. Otherwise they'd be drinking my scotch and buggering the dog.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:37 PM   #8
Kaumajet
H.I.D. Positive

Oddometer: 10,137
95K on my 2000 GS, and I lost a turn signal bulb earlier this year, too. Not impressed. It was the right front - I've heard there is a real problem with them. Anyone else lose a right front?

"There is just something special about a stripper with a tail" ilmostro
Kaumajet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 01:53 PM   #9
PacWestGS
Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer: 10,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradVardy
95K on my 2000 GS, and I lost a turn signal bulb earlier this year, too. Not impressed. It was the right front - I've heard there is a real problem with them. Anyone else lose a right front?
I think this is a major safety issue, WTF, BMW should recall all the 1150GS and Adv models and replace all the bulbs for free. You shouldn't have to worry about a safety device failing on a $17,000 bike after all...

Who makes these bulbs anyway? GE or Sylvania (both US companies with ties to Korea) damn German engineers...

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. (Albert Einstein)
PacWestGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 01:57 PM   #10
dieter von hexhead
I made a doodie...

Oddometer: 4,203
where is the "all reports of turn signal bulb failures are real" thread?

I'd have folded like a 50 cent hanky" - boxermoose
dieter von hexhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 01:58 PM   #11
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,210
Hey Jim,

Your lucky. I've got 32k on my 1200GS and that POS has already burned out a bulb and used up several tires. Where do I turn for a good bike?

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 02:05 PM   #12
Gremlin9340
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
My turn signals seem to get brolen off before they ever go bad but dammit I bet they would went out if they weren't sitting in the woods somewhere.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:08 PM   #13
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,094
Thumbs down

seems the cheapo 650GSes are even more cr*p

in the last 36000Km it has burned the main bulb TWICE, the first one along with the fuse

now I've lost my horn for the second time (in fact sometimes it works when I turn the wheel to the left so it's a cable thing), the first was when Greece got the European championship and I probably killed it

the bike sucks... it even outruns LC4 Dukes though it was not supposed to (according to my KTM friends)

I probably won't even sell it... since it's already blue, I might dump it in the sea some day, so that nobody will find it

my next bike will be Modenas
or one of those american things with the exhaust under the engine (must be perfect for river crossings) and the erm... great design...
NLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 03:04 PM   #14
redseca2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,268
Please excuse a 30 second highjack:

I owned a 1963 Mercedes Benz 220SEB (Coupe) from 1984 to 1997. It was at about 184,000 miles when I sold it. One time in the mid '90's, this little red light suddenly came on I had never noticed before, nestled into the gauges. Checking the 1963 Owner's Manual, I determined that this was the "low fuel warning light". Darn if I wasn't running on fumes. That little light bulb had been wainting since the JFK administration to come on and warn me I was running out of gas.

Another example of German crap.
redseca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 05:50 PM   #15
gregbenner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradVardy
BMWs are reknown for pulling to the right (PTTR). I suspect this causes accelerated wear in the right bulb.

BMW, of course, denies any problem even exists
1975 BMW R75/6
gregbenner is offline   Reply With Quote