User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2012, 05:29 AM   #1
klr650goldwing OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Alaska 2013

In July of 2013 I'm going from Minnesota to Alaska. I'll ride to Butte, Montana and get on the CDR there and ride it to Canada. From that point I'd like to ride trails and dirt all the way to Alaska. Is that possible? Can anyone suggest a place to get detailed maps that would show trails etc. Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Greg
klr650goldwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
get the Milepost book.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....1.7ofLnEdoCII
you can find it at your local book store or order it online. wal-mart MAY have it too.

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
CalgaryKLR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
You can run the Forrestry Trunk Road from basicly Southern Alberta, to the Yellowhead highway, which will take you into Jasper.
I would go all the way West on the Yellowhead, to Kitwanga BC, then North up the Cassier hwy. You wont' regret that move.

Good luck, and take your time....
IRON BUTT #12543

BMW MOA #137752

CalgaryKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by klr650goldwing View Post
In July of 2013 I'm going from Minnesota to Alaska. I'll ride to Butte, Montana and get on the CDR there and ride it to Canada. From that point I'd like to ride trails and dirt all the way to Alaska. Is that possible? Can anyone suggest a place to get detailed maps that would show trails etc. Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Greg
Check out this ride report: Big Dog & Dingweed Pretty sure you'll find a lot of information there that will be difficult to assemble elsewhere. Mark's a nice, helpful guy who can answer a lot of your questions.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
klr650goldwing OP
Adventurer

At this point two of us are going on this ride for sure, and maybe three. We are leaving on July 8th. We are all in our mid-sixties, been riding since we were teens, yet this will be our biggest adventure. We will be camping most of the time and riding trails as much as possible. We'll be riding a KLR, a WR250 and either another KLR or DRZ. We are interested in another rider with compatible interests/skills. Respond here if you are interested.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
hiflynbrd
I know that shortcut

Oddometer: 90
AK ride

I would be interested in seeing if we think enough alike to match up riding styles and expectations. Been thinking about a trip of about 6 wks. from mid June to end of July, mainly due to weather considerations. PM me if you don't already have a full roster and we can chat a bit.
04 Ducati 999S, 12 Versys, 08 Can-Am Spyder-SOLD, thank God, , 93 ST1100ABS 132K, 99 ST1100ABS project cafe racer, 93 KLR650, 04 XR650R street legal, 04 CRF500R street legal, 98 KTM 620 Supermoto street legal-SOLD at the suggestion of Honolulu PD, 04 DRZ400S, 82 Turbo Seca (x2), -placed in a good home, 04, ~78 Yambulzukisaki hybrid, and oh so many others
hiflynbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,092
I was going to mention Big Dog, but someone beet me to it.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #8
klr650goldwing OP
Adventurer

We are planning on riding much of Big Dog's route through BC. But the plans are open to modification at all times. We don't want to get too specific about where and when etc. We just hope to make the best out of each day.