ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2005, 04:14 AM   #1
Buckster OP
Banned
 
Buckster's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Atlanta GA or London UK
Oddometer: 1,003
640 Adv battery

My battery is goosed, instead of getting one under warranty which will mean the crappy Yuassa that seems to fail on a regular basis, I intend to upgrade to a Gel unit or some such, any recommendations?
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 12:15 PM   #2
Buckster OP
Banned
 
Buckster's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Atlanta GA or London UK
Oddometer: 1,003
Come on, some of you must have a battery recomendation, I was not sure if I should go with a Westco gel or a Sprint lead acid.
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 01:02 PM   #3
meat popsicle
Ignostic
 
meat popsicle's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Circumlocution Office of Little Dorrit
Oddometer: 14,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster
Come on, some of you must have a battery recomendation, I was not sure if I should go with a Westco gel or a Sprint lead acid.
If your so anti-battery, change the charging system, get a big capacitor, and kick away!

Um, anyways, you had problems with the standard battery?
__________________
Kronreif Trunkenpolz Mattighofen LC4 640

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 01:09 PM   #4
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Swellvue, WA
Oddometer: 10,164
Nearly all the motorcycle batteries sold today are AGM - sealed lead-acid Absorbed Gas Mat batteries. I doubt you can even find true "gel" battery for the Adv. They're generally considered better than gels and have the same property of being sealed and having no lliquid electolyte - the lead-acid solution is absorbed in the gas mattes. So whether you got Yuasa, WestCo, Excide, etc. is not going to make any difference in the battery type - it will no doubt be an AGM.

Some folks think Yuasa's are worth the extra $$$.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 02:26 PM   #5
Buckster OP
Banned
 
Buckster's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Atlanta GA or London UK
Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
If your so anti-battery, change the charging system, get a big capacitor, and kick away!

Um, anyways, you had problems with the standard battery?
Are you PUI again?

My battery has a cell down, from hunting about on the net it appears that the Yuassa has a life span of about 10k miles, they warranty them for twelve months, Sprint offer a 24 month warranty.
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 02:27 PM   #6
meat popsicle
Ignostic
 
meat popsicle's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Circumlocution Office of Little Dorrit
Oddometer: 14,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster
Are you PUI again?

My battery has a cell down, from hunting about on the net it appears that the Yuassa has a life span of about 10k miles, they warranty them for twelve months, Sprint offer a 24 month warranty.
at least you got the correct battery with your bike!

complain, complain, complain!!!
__________________
Kronreif Trunkenpolz Mattighofen LC4 640

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 03:05 PM   #7
creeper
Still alive...
 
creeper's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Puget Sound
Oddometer: 10,718
Mark is pretty much right on the button Bucky.

Advanced (absorbed) Glass Mat (AGM) batteries are about as good as it gets in the size/capacity we use. So it's really a cost/availability/warranty issue for what ever is available in England.

I still have the original battery after nearly 3 years and 10K miles... but I've always put it on a battery tender if it's going to sit for more than a few days.

Now that I've said this, it's almost a certainty that it will fail completely within the next 10 minutes.
__________________
So... how's tricks?
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 05:06 PM   #8
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!
 
potatoho's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Sea-level
Oddometer: 4,681
Wow, we have to change these things? Orig batt, 6 years 15k miles. No choke and no auto-decomp LOL.
potatoho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 05:26 PM   #9
creeper
Still alive...
 
creeper's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Puget Sound
Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatoho
Wow, we have to change these things? Orig batt, 6 years 15k miles. No choke and no auto-decomp LOL.
Was it you that caused me to get 19 e-mail notices all at once??? I thought my fuckin' 'puter exploded.

Christ on a Crutch...
__________________
So... how's tricks?
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 05:48 PM   #10
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!
 
potatoho's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Sea-level
Oddometer: 4,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
Was it you that caused me to get 19 e-mail notices all at once??? I thought my fuckin' 'puter exploded.

Christ on a Crutch...
Would be a neat trick, but I don't think it was me. Unless you get 19 more because I just posted this reply
potatoho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 10:32 PM   #11
bmwktmbill
Traveler
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Traveler
Oddometer: 4,575
Buck,
We went round and round on the BMW Airhead list on this point. It's all AGM, not gel now. I had good luck with Panasonic AGM-same as what Westco sell relabeled. In the USA a company called Digikey sells Panasonic real cheaply. You can do a search for the 800 number and give them a call on sizes. Just put 50K tough miles on one. It is still very strong.
Bill in Tomahawk, WI
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 01:36 AM   #12
Buckster OP
Banned
 
Buckster's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Atlanta GA or London UK
Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill
Buck,
We went round and round on the BMW Airhead list on this point. It's all AGM, not gel now. I had good luck with Panasonic AGM-same as what Westco sell relabeled. In the USA a company called Digikey sells Panasonic real cheaply. You can do a search for the 800 number and give them a call on sizes. Just put 50K tough miles on one. It is still very strong.
Bill in Tomahawk, WI
Thanks, that's the kind of recommendation I like, with the battery size I know that if it fails in the back of beyond it could be a major problem so the best battery is the only way to go. I heard that the Westco was the Panasonic but need to check the model number because all they list here is gel, although I am led to believe that they are the AGM type.
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 01:38 AM   #13
Buckster OP
Banned
 
Buckster's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Atlanta GA or London UK
Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
Mark is pretty much right on the button Bucky.

Advanced (absorbed) Glass Mat (AGM) batteries are about as good as it gets in the size/capacity we use. So it's really a cost/availability/warranty issue for what ever is available in England.

I still have the original battery after nearly 3 years and 10K miles... but I've always put it on a battery tender if it's going to sit for more than a few days.

Now that I've said this, it's almost a certainty that it will fail completely within the next 10 minutes.
There's the rub, I have over 11k miles after just over a year, my expected mileage this next year will be about 18k miles maybe more if I get my tour of Scandinavia and Iceland in.
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:04 AM   #14
Esteban
Banned
 
Esteban's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Above Golden
Oddometer: 5,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatoho
Wow, we have to change these things? Orig batt, 6 years 15k miles. No choke and no auto-decomp LOL.

DITTO

99 640 LC4e
16,000 miles and original battery.
Esteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:13 AM   #15
Loadedagain
making chips
 
Loadedagain's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: West Vancouver, BC
Oddometer: 26,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatoho
Wow, we have to change these things? Orig batt, 6 years 15k miles. No choke and no auto-decomp LOL.
mine is original too... gonna replace it this year just for the hell of it, but i betcha i could get another year outa it.
__________________
** iba - 22936 *** Alcan5000 - 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014 ***

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014