ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-2005, 03:27 PM   #16
Buckster OP
Banned
 
Buckster's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Atlanta GA or London UK
Oddometer: 1,003
I got the Westco AGM, It is 10MM taller so I took the regulator off the plate and drilled two new mounting holes in the plate 10mm lower than the original ones, it all fits fine now and is working well, no problem with under seat clearance either, the Westco came in at a bargain price as well. It has a whole amp hour more as well, so I can run the new 42" plasma and surround sound navigation system.
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 04:26 PM   #17
gaspipe
Wandering Soul
 
gaspipe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Pickwick Lake, Tennessippi
Oddometer: 11,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster
My battery is goosed, instead of getting one under warranty which will mean the crappy Yuassa that seems to fail on a regular basis, I intend to upgrade to a Gel unit or some such, any recommendations?
I had one of those YTZ10S Yuasas take a sh*t on me the night before I was crossing into Mexico. The Yuasa was ~$85, this thing was $58.

The El Cheapo Non-Yuasa Replacement

By the way, the Yuasa is the same on as in the '00-'02 CBR600, so if you're jammed up, any Honda dealer will have one.
__________________
gaspipe [the original]

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 05:59 PM   #18
isldtime
The oldest kid I know
 
isldtime's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: So.Ca.
Oddometer: 124
I always use a Battery Tender.

1990 Honda CBR1000F: sold with original battery in 1997
1998 Honda VTR1000F: sold with original battery in 2005
1982 Porsche 911: last battery (delco) lasted 9 years
2000 KTM Lc4 SM: I ain't kickin' that bitch!
isldtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 06:10 PM   #19
mars
Starbucks anyone?
 
mars's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: El Reno,ok
Oddometer: 1,897
i was wrenching for a friends endurance road race team last year and we bought a not oem battery for our r6 racebike and the thing spit battery acid all over the back part of the bike. really made a mess of the swing arm. turned out they are all made differently depending on the position. we bought the right battery but one that was supposed to be positioned differently.

the ktm is turned almost on its side.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 02:35 AM   #20
Buckster OP
Banned
 
Buckster's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Atlanta GA or London UK
Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by mars
i was wrenching for a friends endurance road race team last year and we bought a not oem battery for our r6 racebike and the thing spit battery acid all over the back part of the bike. really made a mess of the swing arm. turned out they are all made differently depending on the position. we bought the right battery but one that was supposed to be positioned differently.

the ktm is turned almost on its side.
That's why it needs a sealed battery. The Yuassa was not designed for the KTM, it was just the right sized sealed type battery, if anything a sealed AGM battery is better because the dialectric is more stable and less prone to leakage than a totally fluid dialectric.
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 06:35 AM   #21
mars
Starbucks anyone?
 
mars's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: El Reno,ok
Oddometer: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster
That's why it needs a sealed battery. The Yuassa was not designed for the KTM, it was just the right sized sealed type battery, if anything a sealed AGM battery is better because the dialectric is more stable and less prone to leakage than a totally fluid dialectric.
this was a sealed battery. what i was saying is that sealed batteries are made for different positions.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 08:39 AM   #22
Buckster OP
Banned
 
Buckster's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Atlanta GA or London UK
Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by mars
this was a sealed battery. what i was saying is that sealed batteries are made for different positions.
I think you have been listening to the dealer parts faeries.
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 12:22 PM   #23
ChrisC
Amal sex?
 
ChrisC's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Prescott, Arizona USA Earth
Oddometer: 6,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster
I think you have been listening to the dealer parts faeries.
Why do you spell fairy like a fairy?
__________________
Chris
1974 Bultaco Sherpa T 350
1943 BSA M20WD
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 04:19 PM   #24
Buckster OP
Banned
 
Buckster's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Atlanta GA or London UK
Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC
Why do you spell fairy like a fairy?
The root word comes from the ancient Norse and Latin languages, in the U.K. a lot of words are spelt both in conventional English or in the Gaelic way, which was derived from Norse with a smattering of old French, I just prefer the old spelling.
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:19 PM   #25
Nom de Guerre
Beastly Adventurer
 
Nom de Guerre's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Pasadena, CA
Oddometer: 2,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster
The root word comes from the ancient Norse and Latin languages, in the U.K. a lot of words are spelt both in conventional English or in the Gaelic way, which was derived from Norse with a smattering of old French, I just prefer the old spelling.
Come on Bucky, quit the B.S. Why don't you just come out and admit it? You're among friends here, and you should consider us a support group. I'm sure I speak for all AdvRiders when I say that whatever lifestyle you choose to live is O.K. with us.


















__________________

Nom de Guerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:26 PM   #26
mars
Starbucks anyone?
 
mars's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: El Reno,ok
Oddometer: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster
I think you have been listening to the dealer parts faeries.
you might have a point but the yuasa battery destroyed the looks of that bike in short time.
i think you should start using your old sig line "just like napster without all the music and stuff"
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 11:58 PM   #27
Buckster OP
Banned
 
Buckster's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Atlanta GA or London UK
Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4 Pilot
Come on Bucky, quit the B.S. Why don't you just come out and admit it? You're among friends here, and you should consider us a support group. I'm sure I speak for all AdvRiders when I say that whatever lifestyle you choose to live is O.K. with us.
You making a pass at me again? Just because I bought you an ice cream dosen't mean you're my bitch, unless it was Hagen Daz.
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 09:20 AM   #28
bmwktmbill
Traveler
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Traveler
Oddometer: 4,907
I dont think all AGM's are created equal. I had a couple of the Westco/Panasonic batterys in my airhead BMWs. They never leaked a drop and they never failed. I crashed that bike plenty but they kept chugging. I bought an cheapo AGM replacement for the Adventure from the KTM dealer in Bellingham and it spit some acid in the positive terminal area that went after the regulator. It is my understanding that all the AGMs are one way vented but how makes a difference. So far I can only vouch for the Westco/Panasonic.

Bill in Tomahawk
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:31 PM   #29
Ian640
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Oddometer: 243
Thumb

What's wrong with the standard LC4 battery? On both my LC4s it's lasted around 3 years/15000 miles and was replaced whilst still usable (symptoms of failure = starter cranked the motor slowly), and a battery tender never used.

The original on my 02 was a Yuasa. I replaced it with the KTM part, this time an Exide.
Ian640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:38 PM   #30
ChrisC
Amal sex?
 
ChrisC's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Prescott, Arizona USA Earth
Oddometer: 6,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster
The root word comes from the ancient Norse and Latin languages, in the U.K. a lot of words are spelt both in conventional English or in the Gaelic way, which was derived from Norse with a smattering of old French, I just prefer the old spelling.
You English guys have no sense of humour....

An té nach mbêonn láidir nê folláir dó bheith glic
__________________
Chris
1974 Bultaco Sherpa T 350
1943 BSA M20WD
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014