Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2005, 03:27 PM   #16
Buckster OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,003
I got the Westco AGM, It is 10MM taller so I took the regulator off the plate and drilled two new mounting holes in the plate 10mm lower than the original ones, it all fits fine now and is working well, no problem with under seat clearance either, the Westco came in at a bargain price as well. It has a whole amp hour more as well, so I can run the new 42" plasma and surround sound navigation system.
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 04:26 PM   #17
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster
My battery is goosed, instead of getting one under warranty which will mean the crappy Yuassa that seems to fail on a regular basis, I intend to upgrade to a Gel unit or some such, any recommendations?
I had one of those YTZ10S Yuasas take a sh*t on me the night before I was crossing into Mexico. The Yuasa was ~$85, this thing was $58.

The El Cheapo Non-Yuasa Replacement

By the way, the Yuasa is the same on as in the '00-'02 CBR600, so if you're jammed up, any Honda dealer will have one.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 05:59 PM   #18
isldtime
The oldest kid I know

Oddometer: 124
I always use a Battery Tender.

1990 Honda CBR1000F: sold with original battery in 1997
1998 Honda VTR1000F: sold with original battery in 2005
1982 Porsche 911: last battery (delco) lasted 9 years
2000 KTM Lc4 SM: I ain't kickin' that bitch!
isldtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 06:10 PM   #19
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,897
i was wrenching for a friends endurance road race team last year and we bought a not oem battery for our r6 racebike and the thing spit battery acid all over the back part of the bike. really made a mess of the swing arm. turned out they are all made differently depending on the position. we bought the right battery but one that was supposed to be positioned differently.

the ktm is turned almost on its side.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 02:35 AM   #20
Buckster OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars
i was wrenching for a friends endurance road race team last year and we bought a not oem battery for our r6 racebike and the thing spit battery acid all over the back part of the bike. really made a mess of the swing arm. turned out they are all made differently depending on the position. we bought the right battery but one that was supposed to be positioned differently.

the ktm is turned almost on its side.
That's why it needs a sealed battery. The Yuassa was not designed for the KTM, it was just the right sized sealed type battery, if anything a sealed AGM battery is better because the dialectric is more stable and less prone to leakage than a totally fluid dialectric.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:35 AM   #21
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Quote:
That's why it needs a sealed battery. The Yuassa was not designed for the KTM, it was just the right sized sealed type battery, if anything a sealed AGM battery is better because the dialectric is more stable and less prone to leakage than a totally fluid dialectric.
this was a sealed battery. what i was saying is that sealed batteries are made for different positions.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:39 AM   #22
Buckster OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars
this was a sealed battery. what i was saying is that sealed batteries are made for different positions.
I think you have been listening to the dealer parts faeries.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:22 PM   #23
ChrisC
Amal sex?

Oddometer: 6,318
Quote:
Why do you spell fairy like a fairy?
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 04:19 PM   #24
Buckster OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC
Why do you spell fairy like a fairy?
The root word comes from the ancient Norse and Latin languages, in the U.K. a lot of words are spelt both in conventional English or in the Gaelic way, which was derived from Norse with a smattering of old French, I just prefer the old spelling.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:19 PM   #25
Nom de Guerre
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,034
Quote:
The root word comes from the ancient Norse and Latin languages, in the U.K. a lot of words are spelt both in conventional English or in the Gaelic way, which was derived from Norse with a smattering of old French, I just prefer the old spelling.
Come on Bucky, quit the B.S. Why don't you just come out and admit it? You're among friends here, and you should consider us a support group. I'm sure I speak for all AdvRiders when I say that whatever lifestyle you choose to live is O.K. with us.

Nom de Guerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:26 PM   #26
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Quote:
you might have a point but the yuasa battery destroyed the looks of that bike in short time.
i think you should start using your old sig line "just like napster without all the music and stuff"
Old 11-22-2005, 11:58 PM   #27
Buckster OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC4 Pilot
Come on Bucky, quit the B.S. Why don't you just come out and admit it? You're among friends here, and you should consider us a support group. I'm sure I speak for all AdvRiders when I say that whatever lifestyle you choose to live is O.K. with us.
You making a pass at me again? Just because I bought you an ice cream dosen't mean you're my bitch, unless it was Hagen Daz.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:20 AM   #28
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,907
I dont think all AGM's are created equal. I had a couple of the Westco/Panasonic batterys in my airhead BMWs. They never leaked a drop and they never failed. I crashed that bike plenty but they kept chugging. I bought an cheapo AGM replacement for the Adventure from the KTM dealer in Bellingham and it spit some acid in the positive terminal area that went after the regulator. It is my understanding that all the AGMs are one way vented but how makes a difference. So far I can only vouch for the Westco/Panasonic.

Bill in Tomahawk
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:31 PM   #29
Ian640
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Thumb

What's wrong with the standard LC4 battery? On both my LC4s it's lasted around 3 years/15000 miles and was replaced whilst still usable (symptoms of failure = starter cranked the motor slowly), and a battery tender never used.

The original on my 02 was a Yuasa. I replaced it with the KTM part, this time an Exide.
Ian640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 02:38 PM   #30
ChrisC
Amal sex?

Oddometer: 6,318
Quote:
You English guys have no sense of humour....

An té nach mbêonn láidir nê folláir dó bheith glic
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote