User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2014, 10:43 AM   #1
Mange OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Ktm freeride 250 -15 starting issues

So I'm having this issue with my brand new freeride 250. I have a bit to travel to the dealer so I'm trying to make sure it's not a simple issue I'm overlooking.

The lithium bat that came with the bike was not fully charged so I'm waiting on a charger before I can try that battery again. I started the bike on the same day I bought it and now when I try to start it I get the following symptoms (running a friend's bat from his 250 exc-f, a cheaper gel bat and my ctek mxs 7.0 on supply mode).

https://vimeo.com/115586629

Is this a sign on the battery being to weak and if so shouldn't the charger in supply mode have been the solution for that? However I didn't manage to get very good readings for the cable from the relay to the starter and ground when I pushed the starter, don't wanna strain anything by holding it a long time and my multimeter takes some time to get an accurate reading, the only numbers I saw was around 3-4v.

What can I do to rule out the battery? Is it possible to jump the relay to ensure its able to deliver the power to the starter? Or if I remove the charger in supply mode, it will only click once, should I be able to measure 12v down at the starter then? Could it be the starter that had seized or something?
Mange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:53 AM   #2
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 687
That can be a dead battery. In my experience, it can also (more rarely) be a loose connection. It'll buzz out ok on a meter, but open once it starts carrying starter current. Double-check the tightess of the high-current circuit, from battery to relay to starter, and the ground path as well. I bet you'll find something loose.

Auto-X Fil screwed with this post 12-29-2014 at 01:25 PM Reason: Corrected my probabilities.
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:21 PM   #3
Mange OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Can't i measure resistance in the cables to verify the connection? Or if for instance the measurements on the positive from bat to relay and ground reads about the same V when trying the start button, would that mean those connections are OK?

Also could I remove the starter motor and check if it spins and looks OK to ensure it hasn't been damaged or will it require that I open it to verify that?
Old 12-29-2014, 01:24 PM   #4
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 687
The problem I've seen before is when a ring terminal is connected, but the nut isn't tight. The ring terminal touches the post, so it'll read low resistance. It's going to read a little higher on a good meter (a few ohms), but it's low enough that you won't be able to tell the difference at low currents.

When you apply starting heavy starting load current, the tiny contact area of the terminal arcs and the resistance goes way up. The voltage the relay sees from the battery drops, the relay shuts off, the arc stops, and the process repeats - that's the chattering. I'd just take apart the relay and whatever battery wiring is there. The cables on the terminals of the battery must go to the frame (ground) or a terminal block. Check those connections.

A dead battery looks very similar: it produces enough voltage to close the relay when un-loaded. When you load it down with starter current, the voltage drops to the point that it won't hold the relay open anymore. The relay opens, the voltage recovers, and you repeat. Thus the chattering. But, if you have a strong battery, this won't happen.

For a quick check, by-pass the relay and touch the battery to the starter terminals manually. It'll spin.
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:32 PM   #5
Mange OP
Gnarly Adventurer

If was actually to little power with the other battery, got it working tonight :)