User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2014, 10:58 PM   #1
baachor OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Thumb Mobius helmet camera

So as I was researching about which helmet cam to use I came across Mobius camera $85 at amazon.

I love how small it is,compare to GoPro with which I was looking like E.T.
Picture is amazing. Sound only in low speeds,higher speeds pretty bad. Mic should be in back or something. As far as I know you have to mount it on top of the helmet (didn't figure out if there is way to rotate picture in order to have it on side of the helmet).
FOV (field of view) is ok.Wider might be better. 720p is even more narrow.

I have it set on default Mode 1 which is 1080 30fps (Mode 2 720 60fps,and pictures).

You can do lots of adjusting with their Gui tool. Battery suppose to last for 80min. I did about 60 min with 6.5gb on card and still battery was fine.

Check out this 1st video. it is 2nd day after BAJA500 this last weekend.

I'm in love with with this camera (no I'm not paid or referral).
Old 06-12-2014, 05:56 AM   #2
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 2,163
I started using the Mobius after seeing my Dad use them on his multi-rotors.

Awesome camera. Small and easy to use. I just velcro it to my lid. Easy peasy.

I should have some fresh video this w/e.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:35 AM   #3
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,983
Nice picture but your aim sucks. A real test would be to run it through the woods with quickly changing light conditions, that's where the processor really has to work to keep up. Of course you might never ride in those situations.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:40 PM   #4
baachor OP
Adventurer

Hi, do you have a pix of how you mount it? what kind of velcro? Can't wait for videos
added: do you mount it under neat of or on top of lid? There must be lots of vibration isn't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIsixfitty View Post
I started using the Mobius after seeing my Dad use them on his multi-rotors.

Awesome camera. Small and easy to use. I just velcro it to my lid. Easy peasy.

I should have some fresh video this w/e.
RideFreak,
yea aim sucks I was mounting it at 11pm day before going to BAJA

yea we don't have much woods here but soon I'll post video from riding in kinda Oaza with shade and sun and there the picture sucks. So being in sunny CA it is not my concern as much. Especially for price What kind of camera are you using in woods? I used to own GoPro before they went HD and I must say I hate how big it was. Sounds sucked too. Might get some of those Contour ones some day. Didn't have enough ca$h

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Nice picture but your aim sucks. A real test would be to run it through the woods with quickly changing light conditions, that's where the processor really has to work to keep up. Of course you might never ride in those situations.
Attached Images

baachor screwed with this post 06-12-2014 at 08:47 PM Reason: added
baachor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:41 PM   #5
baachor OP
Adventurer

pix #2

I used Craft Putty 1st on front with E6000 glue but vibrations broke glue,so I put it in back under neat of camera and this holds it very nicely
Attached Images

baachor screwed with this post 06-12-2014 at 08:44 PM Reason: added text
baachor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:42 PM   #6
baachor OP
Adventurer

pix #3
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2014, 09:07 PM   #7
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by baachor View Post
So as I was researching about which helmet cam to use I came across Mobius camera $85 at amazon.

I love how small it is,compare to GoPro with which I was looking like E.T.
Picture is amazing. Sound only in low speeds,higher speeds pretty bad. Mic should be in back or something. As far as I know you have to mount it on top of the helmet (didn't figure out if there is way to rotate picture in order to have it on side of the helmet).
FOV (field of view) is ok.Wider might be better. 720p is even more narrow.

I have it set on default Mode 1 which is 1080 30fps (Mode 2 720 60fps,and pictures).

You can do lots of adjusting with their Gui tool. Battery suppose to last for 80min. I did about 60 min with 6.5gb on card and still battery was fine.

Check out this 1st video. it is 2nd day after BAJA500 this last weekend.

I'm in love with with this camera (no I'm not paid or referral).
looks out of focus
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:31 PM   #8
baachor OP
Adventurer

what do you mean? yea it is bit cricked/left sight lower and not centered but there is no way to put it right in the middle on my helmet...any other suggestion where to mount it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
looks out of focus
Old 06-16-2014, 07:33 AM   #9
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 2,163
here's my mount. Notice the small strip of duct tape looped over the mic opening as this helps to reduce the wind noise at speed. I have it looped and not sealed or taped over the mic.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:51 AM   #10
Thomson2306
Shit happens.

Oddometer: 21
Another user here.

Pretty nice camera, cheap as hell compared to a GoPro, 720p modes not usable since the "focus" is pretty bad.

Did some upgrade :

- 3500mAh 1S LiPo battery. Velcro'd on the bottom of the camera. Less sexy, but 8hrs autonomy
I used the original connector inside the camera, did some soldering and cut a hole in the case. The new connector ( a 3-pin futaba connector, standard in RC models) is accessible from the outside of the case, so I can plug/deplug any battery without opening the case.

- Homemade plexiglass "waterproof" case. It's a simple cube made of plexiglass, glued with epoxys, painted in black except in front of the lens.
I simply put it over the camera. It's waterproof everywhere except on the bottom. Did a 200km ride under heavy rain without issue.
It also makes the wind noise more "bearable" — I still will try the duct tape in front of the mic any time.

I used some foam to make the perfect form to follow the shape of my helmet. This piece of foam is glued to the bottom of the battery, and has some velcro on it.

To make it easy, from top to bottom :

Camera
Velcro male
-
Velcro female
Battery
Glue
Foam
Velcro male
-
Velcro female
Helmet

(and the case all over everything)

This way, my setup is uber-flexible

Some videos available here : https://www.youtube.com/user/666Thomson

Pictures of the setup might be available on request - but only this WE

Thomson
Thomson2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:56 AM   #11
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by baachor View Post
what do you mean? yea it is bit cricked/left sight lower and not centered but there is no way to put it right in the middle on my helmet...any other suggestion where to mount it?
the lens on the camera is very soft which results in an out of focus image. Personally I would not find that camera's video quality acceptable. You can get a cheapo china action camera for less with better video quality.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:12 AM   #12
Thomson2306
Shit happens.

In any case, the focus can be adjusted by the owner.

See the bottom of this post, "4. Refocusing or Replacing the Lens in the CMOS module" :

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...10&postcount=4

Thomson
Old 06-16-2014, 06:34 PM   #13
baachor OP
Adventurer

Great idea with mic,thanks for picture of your setup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIsixfitty View Post
here's my mount. Notice the small strip of duct tape looped over the mic opening as this helps to reduce the wind noise at speed. I have it looped and not sealed or taped over the mic.
wow that is awsome upgrade you did,thank you for detailed setup
yes pix would be appreciated
nice vids...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson2306 View Post
Another user here.

Pretty nice camera, cheap as hell compared to a GoPro, 720p modes not usable since the "focus" is pretty bad.

Did some upgrade :

- 3500mAh 1S LiPo battery. Velcro'd on the bottom of the camera. Less sexy, but 8hrs autonomy
I used the original connector inside the camera, did some soldering and cut a hole in the case. The new connector ( a 3-pin futaba connector, standard in RC models) is accessible from the outside of the case, so I can plug/deplug any battery without opening the case.

- Homemade plexiglass "waterproof" case. It's a simple cube made of plexiglass, glued with epoxys, painted in black except in front of the lens.
I simply put it over the camera. It's waterproof everywhere except on the bottom. Did a 200km ride under heavy rain without issue.
It also makes the wind noise more "bearable" I still will try the duct tape in front of the mic any time.

I used some foam to make the perfect form to follow the shape of my helmet. This piece of foam is glued to the bottom of the battery, and has some velcro on it.

To make it easy, from top to bottom :

Camera
Velcro male
-
Velcro female
Battery
Glue
Foam
Velcro male
-
Velcro female
Helmet

(and the case all over everything)

This way, my setup is uber-flexible

Some videos available here : https://www.youtube.com/user/666Thomson

Pictures of the setup might be available on request - but only this WE

Thomson
post bellow yours from Thompson explains why I like this camera,it has nice detailed information with it and GUI for setup and helpful forum posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
the lens on the camera is very soft which results in an out of focus image. Personally I would not find that camera's video quality acceptable. You can get a cheapo china action camera for less with better video quality.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:36 PM   #14
baachor OP
Adventurer

Thompson,

that's awsome! Thank You! Does that mean you can rotate the lens too? For side mount?

I was thinking about the mic issue that I might glue some straw that would be going backwards to hear lovely muffler sounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson2306 View Post
In any case, the focus can be adjusted by the owner.

See the bottom of this post, "4. Refocusing or Replacing the Lens in the CMOS module" :

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...10&postcount=4

Thomson
Old 06-17-2014, 02:46 AM   #15
Thomson2306
Shit happens.

It's just "Thomson", no "P" here

@baachor : I don't think you can rotate the lens for your side-mount. You can "rotate" the lens to adjust the focus, that doesn't mean you can rotate the whole CMOS module to adjust the point of view.

One thing you could do is to a "triangle" foam support for your camera.

The bottom of the foam would have the shape of your helmet but the top would be flat. So your camera would be on the flat level and no more issues.

Velcro on the bottom of the foam and top of helmet, Velcro on the bottom of the camera and top of the foam.

I could draw you something since I'm pretty bad for explaining stuff

For the straw idea … I thought I was weird but you beat me this time
Give it a try, keep us tuned

EDIT : new mic idea, an upgrade of WIsixfitty's work.

Most of high-end microphone have a "fur" windscreen. Why not do the same here ?

WIsixfitty said his duct tape is looped over the mic hole. I think it could be nice to put some fur there, in the loop. This way, the mic hole won't be covered, it would still reduce noise because of the loop, and it would decrease even more the wind noise because of the fur placed there.
Can't wait for the week-end to try this :)

Pictures on their way … sometimes
Thomson

Thomson2306 screwed with this post 06-17-2014 at 02:53 AM