Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2005, 08:47 PM   #1
Castleman

Oddometer: n/a
Husky TE610E Pro's and Con's?

I currently ride a 99 KTM LC4 640e with 30,000 pretty trouble free miles. I wanted to buy a new KTM single, but of course they don't make one. I won't give up my bike unless it is as good as or better than my KTM.

So how is the HUsky for reliability, parts accessability and any other known issues?

I am unsure at this point if I should get the HUsky or wait for KTM's 950 super enduro in 06.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:35 PM   #2
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castleman
I wanted to buy a new KTM single, but of course they don't make one.

640 Adventures are still available.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 09:48 PM   #3
dirtrider
Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,316
As mentioned above, 640 Adventures are still available, albeit limited in numbers.

The Husky interests me as I've heard great things about the power, lack of vibration, and a 6 speed.

The only thing that worries me about the Husky is the small fuel tank and lack of dealers and support. I do want to ride one so I can compare it to my current KTM 640.
2001 KTM 640 LC4 Sold
I only like two kinds of women, foreign and domestic
dirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:04 PM   #4
motodirtlover
Motodirtlover

Oddometer: 1,034
Castleman, I have an "as new" 2004 KTM 625sxc FOR SALE. It is dualsported and has only 200 miles on it. It has never seen dirt. I haven't had much time to ride it since I bought it in April. I had a '99 640e also. The newer one is a lot nicer.
motodirtlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 05:49 AM   #5
Norman Foley
Devotee of the Husqvarna

Oddometer: 278
Husky 610 is much nicer than LC4. The '06 has many improvements over my '03 TE610E. I ride and race 3 Huskys and parts availibility is very good. My dealer is 2.5 hours away, he's closed Monday so I leave him a voicemail or call Tuesday morning and can have parts Thursday regular UPS. When he is out of stock and has to call Husky US, I've gotten them on Friday or Monday. My local Jap dealers aren't that good. Many people buy them in the crate and get parts from a big Husky dealer like Halls. My dealer is Husky/KTM and even guys who race KTM's still choose the 610 0ver the LC4 for a dual sport.

Make Haste, Slowly
Norman Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:55 AM   #6
goblin
pig rider

Oddometer: 371
Anyone know of a husky dealer near western mass? I see one up in laconia but nothing closer.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:09 AM   #7
Airhead
More human than human

Oddometer: 2,099
Just FYI...KTM USA lists the 640 on their wbesite again for this year. They didn't even list it last year. Cliff's Cycles in Norfolk, MA is supposed to be a very good Adventure dealer...

I have a 2000 LC4e and love it.
Airhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 03:23 PM   #8
Castleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr
640 Adventures are still available.
I had a chance to buy an 05 640 Adventure, but I don't want all that plastic to worry about if I go down. I also don't like to low front fender. I do like the bigger tank.

Thats why I bought the LC4e model, The Adventure is a great bike, but not for me. I need more of a traditional dirt bike.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:29 PM   #9
Castleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by motodirtlover
Castleman, I have an "as new" 2004 KTM 625sxc FOR SALE. It is dualsported and has only 200 miles on it. It has never seen dirt. I haven't had much time to ride it since I bought it in April. I had a '99 640e also. The newer one is a lot nicer.
I REALLY like the SXC. But it lack's some of the stuff I need in a dual sport to last as long as I ride them. The SXC lacks the cush hub and oil in frame. I need these two items, to keep maintain the longevity of the bike.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:49 PM   #10
JackpineZuki
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
I had a few of the same questions about the TE610E before I bought mine, an 06 model. After I talked to the dealer about engine reliability and parts( the engines are just about bulletproof and for parts, what is not in stock takes about 2 days to get in from Husqvarna USA in Penn) I was sold on the new Husky. Having ridden it on pavement and off-road it is a huge improvement over my 05 Suzuki DRZ400s, now it does have a few drawbacks as mentioned earlier, but for some they will not be as big of a concern as others might have. There is the fuel tank that only holds 3.2 gallons of fuel, for me, not a biggie, then there is the lack of dedicated aftermarket parts, so you just got to see what is going to work on the bike. So far, with a little help I have found a great set of barkbusters for it, Cycra pro bends, 2 different bashplates, and Wolfman luggage that works on it. For me the drawbacks about the bike are minor as compared to the improvements over my DRZ.
JackpineZuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 06:36 PM   #11
dcj
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I agree with Norman Foley, you should seriously check out the Husky. I sold my KLR650 because I wanted a more dirt capable and lighter DS bike and after considering a new DR400s and looking at a used KTM 625SXC(dual-sported and street legal where I live) I got the '06 TE610. I had the chance to ride a properly set up DR400S in the California desert for a couple days last August and I was really impressed. I thought I would probably end up with one, but then stopped in at the Husky dealer about a mile down the road from my house saw the 450 and 510s. Awesome bikes but still not really what I was looking for. The dealer told me about the TE610 he had coming in soon and from reading up on it I thought it sounded perfect for my intended use. In the mean time I checked out the KTM. They are great bikes in every way but one, vibration. I know all thumpers vibrate and that most guys who ride them just get used to it but I decided the KTM was just too much.
I've had the Husky for about 1 1/2 weeks now and have only had the time to put about 150 miles of gravel,dirt and some jeep roads. Very impressive. Even running under the 5500 break in rpm it is a lot of fun to ride. Pulls harder than the DR400 (obviously) but doesn't feel that much heavier and handles great and with a lot less vibration than the KTM or my old KLR for that matter.
Minor complaints: Footpegs(after you strip off the stupid rubber cover you are left with a too narrow, crappy peg not up to the standard of the other components on the bike. Tank( as others have said the 3.2 is a little small and I will get a 4+gal one later as it becomes available.
Husky has been using this 575 engine for 10 years or so and it carries quite a bit of oil with 2 filters and it does have the cush drive so I'm not too worried about longevity.
Good luck
dcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:25 PM   #12
Norman Foley
Devotee of the Husqvarna

Oddometer: 278
I finally got to ride an '06 TE610E! The bike is awesome, a nice improvement over my '03 in most every way. It was in the low 40's F so the bike was a little lean(popped on decel), but definitely could feel the 10hp extra. Bike is actually wider in the front(.8 gal bigger tank) and slimmer in the rear, even though it looks slim all over. Front forks are a huge improvement over old conventional Zokes on '03. Stand up ergonomics are better and sitting to standing transition is much easier. The bike has a really stiff rear spring rate(my dealer thinks it to take extra weight of passenger) and won't squat on acceleration, so you can break the rear tire loose in sixth gear on the right surface. He's going to put a lower rate spring on. The bike is taller than '03, but better when sag is set. Sachs must deliver the shocks to Husky with the preload totally cranked up, because that's how they come out of the crate....Tall. Not in the cards this year, but at some point I'd like to swap. Anybody who passes on this bike for a XR650L, DR650, DRZ400S,etc. is a fool.

Make Haste, Slowly
Norman Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:40 PM   #13
Curtis
Life serve the risk taker

Oddometer: 1,299
Every now and then I search for pics of the new TE610 and always have a problem. Anyone have a decent link?

Thanks,
"Life serves the risk taker", Bathroom wall, Moe's frontier bar, Skagway, Alaska
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:51 PM   #14
Jeff620RXC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
http://www.husqvarnausa.com/
Click on Dual Sport.
Jeff620RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:04 PM   #15
CascadeThumper
Critical Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Surf over to Tasky's site and look for the 610 (and 450, too) pics in the left nav bar.
CascadeThumper is offline   Reply With Quote