User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2005, 08:21 PM   #1
Tony Graf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Upgrades

Are there any other options (other than Omega) to upgrade my R100GSPD charging system?
Tony Graf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 10:39 PM   #2
johnjen
Mod-U-Later

Oddometer: 14,835
You will probably get more responses in the "Old School Rides" forum... and so it goes...

JJ
Old 10-28-2005, 03:34 AM   #3
Tony Graf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

John, sorry about the double post, I meant to post on the old school forum and I submited it before I realized I was on the GS forum. Tony
Old 10-28-2005, 04:20 AM   #4
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,473
Tony, It would help to know why you are looking for more juice. The stock system has enough extra power to handle one aux. item ie: vest, lights etc. You can go through the stock system to make sure it's all up to snuff, and installing a thunderchild or omega diode board will help the stock system put out it's max. The stock system has the advantage of having available spare parts everywhere. Something the omega and the other upgrade system does not. JT
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 04:26 AM   #5
sharkey
XLV750R

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Graf
Are there any other options (other than Omega) to upgrade my R100GSPD charging system?
There's the EnDuraLast 450W system from Euro Moto Electrics. Just type 'EnDuraLast' into the search box and you'll find the thread on it. The vendor reads this forum at least sometimes, too!

-----sharks [just a happy customer, even though I haven't had a chance to install it yet ...]
sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 03:58 PM   #6
Tony Graf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wicked

JT, I plan to ride year around, so I will need enough juice for my Gerbings Jacket, extra lights, and heated grips..I was under the impression that the stock system would be overloaded with all that.. Sharkley I like that upgrade..wonder how hard it would be to install..Tony
Old 10-28-2005, 05:56 PM   #7
rockt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,139
Something I like about both aftermarket systems is the fact that they charge at lower RPM. I've been told that the stock system is not charging 'til 3500 and not seriously 'til 4000. I know enough not to lug a motor, but I do like to run top gear on secondary roads at 3000-3500 - quiet and smooth - and I always worry that I'm not charging. Either of these systems would eliminate my worries and allow the leisurely crusing I so enjoy - yes, no?
rockt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 06:00 PM   #8
Tony Graf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

Enduralast (or whatever) claims to maintain a full charge at 2000 RPM
Old 10-29-2005, 06:10 AM   #9
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,473
Tony, You are right the stock system won't handle all that you want. The Enduralast system does sound promising but it'll be awhile before it's proven to be reliable. I've followed enough flickering Moto Guzzi lights and helped my bro mess with his Ducati electrics too many times, to have complete faith in Italian electonics, which is what the Enduralast is based on. The Omega system has been in bikes for 3-4 years and I haven't heard any complaints. Also Rick at Motorad Electric who sells it is absolutely super to deal with. JT
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 07:16 AM   #10
Gringo
simple by nature

Oddometer: 1,349
Tony,

the cheapest thing to do is start by putting a voltmeter on your bike, then live with it awhile, doing the things you want to do and learning what you need in the way of extra watts. You may just be able to live with the stock charging system with careful management; I did for a few years running 35W Piaas, occasional heated jacket & grips well into cold-dark months. The 'heads-up' voltmeter Rick of Motorad sells is cheap, tiny (easy install on cramped GS dash), and tells you what's going on with your electrical system every second. Some sort of voltmeter is the first thing I'd add to a new-to-me bike if I knew I would be pushing the limits with accessories.

A stopgap measure during all this might be to buy a battery-tender or something similar, and plug in every night - lets you get away with alot in your daily riding habits, as you know you can go home and get that battery topped off every night - and they're just nice to have around. Only works with a voltmeter on board first though, otherwise you may not get home to plug in!

I finally got big-light-envy and decided to throw the $$ at an Omega, and am glad I did. I've been very satisfied with it, I can be real sloppy now and run 75W lights all day and night with the heated clothing on too, shut it all off right at my door and have all the amps I need to start next cold a.m. And though jtwind makes a good point, having seen the quality of the stock and Omega alternator components side-by-side, and having been stranded thousands of miles from home when my original alternator's windings went bad, I'd feel more confident in the Omega unless I were taking off for a round-the-world trip or something - and then I'd carry a spare rotor (which you could just as easily do with the Omega). The Omega stuff is just so much beefier than stock, it's absurd. Unless Rick is away at a rally or something, you'd have a new rotor shipped overnight just as easily from him as from anyone else. And I haven't heard of any Omegas failing yet...

"Ah, yes, Greasing the nipples is really the cure all for a whole host of ailments." - Stagehand
Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 11:29 AM   #11
rockt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,139
I'm a diehard Airhead fan, but I grew up riding Japanese bikes where the ignition/electrics were a non-issue. Consequently, I'm not very well-versed about charging systems and frankly, I wouldn't mind staying that way. (I can spend my time worrying about driveshafts and transmission circlips, instead.)

That's why I'm interested in the Omega and Enduralast systems - to try and gain worry-free reliability. I know the stock system isn't that bad and I've never actually had a problem in thousands of miles with an Airhead, but I'm always wondering when my time will come.
rockt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 12:09 PM   #12
sharkey
XLV750R

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockt
I'm a diehard Airhead fan, but I grew up riding Japanese bikes where the ignition/electrics were a non-issue.
Same here. What appealed about the EnDuraLast system was that it's a permanent magnet rotor, just like every Honda I ever owned ...

Quote:
I know the stock system isn't that bad and I've never actually had a problem in thousands of miles with an Airhead, but I'm always wondering when my time will come.
I feel like I've dodged a bullet with this one: the stock system looked
very shoddy when I removed it ... lots of discolouration on parts
like the diode board ground wires ... and the rotor windings.

-----sharks
sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 07:12 PM   #13
Tony Graf OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Gringo, that is exactly what I plan to do. I will not spend money on any upgrade until I get the " feel" of what I might need. I am a complete noob on the Airheads; yet, I am so excited about getting one!