Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2006, 09:33 AM   #181
greggNJ
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 100
F650GS Question

Roger,
I checked out the pictures of the F650 in the thread. It looks great, but I have one (dumb?) question-can you open the fuel door with the case on?
Thanks for the speedy reply to my other question...sorry to bug you again.
I'm saving my money!
greggNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:49 AM   #182
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggNJ
Roger,
I checked out the pictures of the F650 in the thread. It looks great, but I have one (dumb?) question-can you open the fuel door with the case on?
Thanks for the speedy reply to my other question...sorry to bug you again.
I'm saving my money!
Hi Greg, Your question is a good one. The Caribou system allows that fuel door to open, and also to get the neck of the pump in there safely. No problem.

-rog
Made in Boulder, Colorado USA
PH: 303-786-8947 Mon-Sat 8:00am-5:00pm Mountain Time Zone
CaribouCases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:33 AM   #183
spinrover
There was one?

Oddometer: 26
Case Sizes

Rog -
You may have already covered so sorry if this is a dup. Are you only making the cases with the 1550 or are making larger ones now? I saw a pic of a 1660 series case on top the bike. Is that an option? I'm looking for capacity and something to fit a helmet. I'm trying to stay away from the top box too.

These look great!

thanks!
spinrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:29 PM   #184
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinrover
Rog -
You may have already covered so sorry if this is a dup. Are you only making the cases with the 1550 or are making larger ones now? I saw a pic of a 1660 series case on top the bike. Is that an option? I'm looking for capacity and something to fit a helmet. I'm trying to stay away from the top box too.

These look great!

thanks!
Thanks for the compliment. No plans for anything larger than the 1550. The 1550 cases will not fit a helmet.

-rog

CaribouCases screwed with this post 11-29-2008 at 01:04 PM
Old 01-14-2006, 08:06 PM   #185
OrmondGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Interested in seeing the KLR system - post some pics when it's done!
OrmondGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 10:05 PM   #186
GeeSer
Snarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
For an 1100GS

Would this setup work with the stock pipe.... or would I have to go to an aftermarket or lowered pipe?

Sorry if this has been covered already.

The wind in his hair went purely past
And he felt the glory of going fast
The fear of death though there indeed
Was lulled for awhile by his pride of speed (R. Frost)
GeeSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 08:22 AM   #187
tridef650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
One F650 set sold

Roger,

Count me in for a set for my 05 F650. I live down in Telluride so perhaps i will just save the shipping and go for a ride up to Boulder...though 2 feet of snow is starting to fall right now, so prob not until spring. Unless you want to deliver them and ride some passes down here!

Have you put a top case on an F650 yet?? how about passenger peg clearance? i didnt see a good pic of that. (Forget it, i just looked again and can see there is plenty of room for big-footed passengers)

Great job, i am very impressed.

Brian
tridef650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 09:00 AM   #188
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeSer
Would this setup work with the stock pipe.... or would I have to go to an aftermarket or lowered pipe?

Sorry if this has been covered already.
Geeser,

Yes, it works with the stock pipe, and it works with aftermarket pipes, hi or low.

-rog
Old 01-15-2006, 09:03 AM   #189
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tridef650
Roger,

Count me in for a set for my 05 F650. I live down in Telluride so perhaps i will just save the shipping and go for a ride up to Boulder...though 2 feet of snow is starting to fall right now, so prob not until spring. Unless you want to deliver them and ride some passes down here!

Have you put a top case on an F650 yet?? how about passenger peg clearance? i didnt see a good pic of that. (Forget it, i just looked again and can see there is plenty of room for big-footed passengers)

Great job, i am very impressed.

Brian
Hi Brian, best wishes on the snow, you probably need it this year. I plan to get to the top cases once I have all the side cases done. You can certainly visit the shop here in Boulder and check them out.

-rog
Old 01-15-2006, 03:08 PM   #190
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Refinements

I'm going for the extra credit here and adding a few things to make the product better...

There will be optional tool cases that piggy back on to the back-side of the main Pelican case for most bikes. This takes advantage of some empty space down low...

And yes there is plenty of room for the final drive travel.

A view of the tool case off the bike, about 2 liters of space....

Also working on an elastic retention strap, looks like this only final version will be a bit wider strap material. Keeps you stuff in place, unhooking the clip in the center allows the straps to release back to the sides and out of the way....
Old 01-15-2006, 04:16 PM   #191
dsteven
AlpinTourer

Oddometer: 52
AdventurePipe: Let me stop you right here and give you a BIG design improvement...

Don't mount the Pelican case BODY to brackets; instead mount the LID. That way when you are loading the case it can be filled easily or sorted thru easily...like you are going thru a dresser drawer. With your retention straps (Givi's use 1" elastic) you can then fold it up to the lid and be off.

I was at the Iron Horse Lodge two years ago and BMW GS guy who spend 6 mo. a year on the road looked at my setup as I was unloading and said..."duh, that's so obvious, why didn't I think of that?". His Pelicans were mounted the other way and he was always fumbling to get everything "in" as he closed the case.

Another thought is using black ABS plastic pipe as a tool holder. You can get the glue on end caps and threaded ones. I've used them on the front of my skidplate (TransAlp) and on the left side of my DRZ where it mirrors the muffler.

You can get clear top Pelicans that make great handlebar "glove box/map holders. Mount them on the riser bolts.

Dave Steven
Old 01-15-2006, 05:23 PM   #192
dazdconfsd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsteven
Don't mount the Pelican case BODY to brackets; instead mount the LID. That way when you are loading the case it can be filled easily or sorted thru easily...like you are going thru a dresser drawer. With your retention straps (Givi's use 1" elastic) you can then fold it up to the lid and be off.
How much extra strain does this mounting arrangment put on the hinges/locks though?
dazdconfsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 05:29 PM   #193
kv
[none]

Oddometer: 5,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsteven
I was at the Iron Horse Lodge two years ago and BMW GS guy who spend 6 mo. a year on the road looked at my setup as I was unloading and said..."duh, that's so obvious, why didn't I think of that?". His Pelicans were mounted the other way and he was always fumbling to get everything "in" as he closed the case.
No way could Ara reverse his set-up... He carries a bit too much weight. I don't think the lids could take it!

Save $5.00 on a subscription to Smugmug by entering SmYAucfONBnH2 in the 'Referred by' field on the signup form.
kv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 05:34 PM   #194
dsteven
AlpinTourer

Too little to make a difference in my experience. I've been mounting my pelican style case like this for years. Unless you're carying barbells to the gym how much weight do you really carry, and then, how much time is the case even open? Most of these cases are use to transport sensitive elecronic or photographic gear in the real world. They are pretty rugged. Most you can drive a truck over. Hinges haven't failed on me yet and all my bikes are dual sports and are off road more than on.

Reasonable question though.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:37 PM   #195
dsteven
AlpinTourer

Yes, it was Ara, thanks for reminding me of his name. Of course, being a chef he carries the pots and pans and the kitchen sink with him.