Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2011, 06:35 PM   #1966
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG_WTF View Post
Awww...thanks for the compliment .

I still have my doubts about the nutserts I had to install myself, but so far it's been fine. I generally keep my topcase reserved for some food, rain/heated gear, gadgets, chargers, water.........so I keep it lighter than my side cases. I see your point, though. The nutserts are just aluminum. I'm sure they would break free of the subframe under stress.

What if I mount the rotopax forward to the topcase? If I snug them together, it may be secure. I could snug them together using the brackets that you sell. If the rotopax moves a lot, if could break the quarter turn fasteners in the topcase. Most of the weight will supported by the seat,except when moving forward, braking, hitting bumps.....
Sort of like this:
That looks more reasonable. I don't think the quarter turn fasteners are going to break.
Made in Boulder, Colorado USA
PH: 303-786-8947 Mon-Sat 8:00am-5:00pm Mountain Time Zone
CaribouCases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:53 AM   #1967
wesplains
Nothing normal please.

Oddometer: 279
Liners

Does anyone know how much the old style liners for the 1550s are, or do they still sell them?
Old 06-16-2011, 10:50 AM   #1968
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesplains View Post
Does anyone know how much the old style liners for the 1550s are, or do they still sell them?
We call them "Inner Bags" and they may be found here on our web site... http://cariboucases.com/store/?name=...=i&item=000344

Thank you.

-roger
Old 06-16-2011, 12:01 PM   #1969
wesplains
Nothing normal please.

Oddometer: 279
Inner Bags

Thanks for the link.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:48 PM   #1970
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Oddometer: 1,006
would a bracket fit here on a 36L side case?
i would like to increase the distance between the two brackets
Attached Images

inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #1971
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
would a bracket fit here on a 36L side case?
i would like to increase the distance between the two brackets
The bracket won't fit in there, but you can move it a little more outboard than we did in this install.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:29 AM   #1972
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribouCases View Post
The bracket won't fit in there, but you can move it a little more outboard than we did in this install.
Do you mean on the lid? That would negate the advantage of side loading panniers.

I'd like to cinch down a small ortlieb back with straps. Would it fit ok if the brackets are placed the same way as in this photo? I'm worried about how well they will cinch down.....

Rack-Pack Small
Volume: 24L / 1465 cu.in.
Size: 9" dia. x 18" long

http://www.bestrestproducts.com/p-11...rack-pack.aspx

The case liners worked very well on a recent camping trip, btw.....
inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:14 PM   #1973
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Do you mean on the lid? That would negate the advantage of side loading panniers.

I'd like to cinch down a small ortlieb back with straps. Would it fit ok if the brackets are placed the same way as in this photo? I'm worried about how well they will cinch down.....

Rack-Pack Small
Volume: 24L / 1465 cu.in.
Size: 9" dia. x 18" long

http://www.bestrestproducts.com/p-11...rack-pack.aspx

The case liners worked very well on a recent camping trip, btw.....
Not on the lid for the reason you mention, but just a little bit more toward the latches. This 6" diameter stuff sack worked fine. Note that you can still access the latches and the lid lock so you can get into the case....

Old 06-26-2011, 08:03 AM   #1974
tinbasher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Break sways

Just wondering if you sell the breakaways separately ? I have 640 love the idea of pelican cases but much smaller. 4 inch thick would be lots just need room for tools tubes etc. Can build racks myself but breakaways not so much. Thanks. 640 one of the best bikes ever with the smallest selection of aftermarket ever. WTF
tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:29 AM   #1975
Chef Gareth
Live 2 Ride

Oddometer: 214
Just ordered my set of 35L panniers for my dl650, cant wait to see them in the flesh as I have done a lot of research in to what pannier would best suit me. Just wanted to say a big thanks to Roger for his quick response to my inquires. It really makes a difference when you get a fast and informative response from the owner of a company.

Chef
Chef Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:05 AM   #1976
kmw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Gareth View Post
Just ordered my set of 35L panniers for my dl650, cant wait to see them in the flesh as I have done a lot of research in to what pannier would best suit me. Just wanted to say a big thanks to Roger for his quick response to my inquires. It really makes a difference when you get a fast and informative response from the owner of a company.

Chef
Chef -

The case is crooked because I had just been rear-ended by a cage on I-95 and they hit the case. Here's a better one pre-crash (and without the extra tyres, camping gear, etc):

I really can't recommend this set highly enough, it's fantastic. I've since sold the DL and moved to a KTM 990 - as soon as I brought it home I emailed Roger about a plate and locks, had my reply that evening and less than a week later the top case was mounted on the KTM. I gave the side cases to a friend with a DL-1000 when I got rid of the 650 and regret every minute of it, I'd love to have them on the 990.
kmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:11 AM   #1977
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbasher View Post
Just wondering if you sell the breakaways separately ? I have 640 love the idea of pelican cases but much smaller. 4 inch thick would be lots just need room for tools tubes etc. Can build racks myself but breakaways not so much. Thanks. 640 one of the best bikes ever with the smallest selection of aftermarket ever. WTF
The break-away latches may be found on our web site here... http://cariboucases.com/store/?name=...&mode=d&id=011

But, when someone wants to build their own racks, I always recommend this kit... http://cariboucases.com/store/?name=...=i&item=000281 and or this kit if you have a set of old Givi racks to start with... http://cariboucases.com/store/?name=...=i&item=000280

We are quickly becoming DIY central for these type of projects. We offer a lot of bits and parts to attach side and top cases.

-roger
Old 06-30-2011, 01:55 PM   #1978
airheadpilot
Le Poulet du Désert

Oddometer: 282
Universal vs. Specific Top Case rack?

Roger,

Like many others here I have a Yamaha Super Tenere on order. I commute in freeway traffic everyday and really like having a top case to put my briefcase in instead of wearing a backpack. That said, when my bike gets here in a few more weeks, I'll be interested in putting a top case on it as soon as possible. I'd like to go with a 35L Caribou for my top case. I understand that you need a donor bike in order to make a bike-specific rack, and so that product won't be available for a while after the bikes arrive. How do the universal top case mounts compare to the bike-specific top case mounts? I guess another way of asking, am I likely to be perfectly happy with the universal and putting it on right away, or is the Super Tenere-specific top case mount going to be so much the dog's bollocks that I really should wait until it is available?

Thanks!

Andrew
Old 06-30-2011, 06:45 PM   #1979
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by airheadpilot View Post
Roger,

Like many others here I have a Yamaha Super Tenere on order. I commute in freeway traffic everyday and really like having a top case to put my briefcase in instead of wearing a backpack. That said, when my bike gets here in a few more weeks, I'll be interested in putting a top case on it as soon as possible. I'd like to go with a 35L Caribou for my top case. I understand that you need a donor bike in order to make a bike-specific rack, and so that product won't be available for a while after the bikes arrive. How do the universal top case mounts compare to the bike-specific top case mounts? I guess another way of asking, am I likely to be perfectly happy with the universal and putting it on right away, or is the Super Tenere-specific top case mount going to be so much the dog's bollocks that I really should wait until it is available?

Thanks!

Andrew
Andrew,

Boy, that's a good question. We just finished the top case design for the Tiger 800 and it was very straight forward because Triumph did it right and put a 4-bolt pattern right on top the the tail section. From the photos I have seen the Tenere also has a 4-bolt pattern on the tail section. This makes our design effort straight-forward, and also makes it fairly easy for a DIY'er. It is really good when the 4 bolts thread down into the steel subframe. If there is only plastic or cast aluminum back there it gets a little more involved with proper bracing. When you get the bike and can take a few measurements, send me an email.

Thank you.

-roger
Old 07-05-2011, 09:51 AM   #1980
GTMan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Panniers for Triumph Tiger 800 XC

Roger

Couple of questions. The 36L side cases for the 800 XC. Are those Pelicans ?

If I order with the case liners, does how much time does that add to the order ?

Thanks
GTMan is offline   Reply With Quote