Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #2026
Flyin Phil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Lots of info here, thanks for all the updates. I hope I'm not repeating questions, I know you answer a lot of things more than once here...

It's been a while since I last looked into the the various luggage/rack options, but I seem to recall seeing a caribou specific rack for the ktm 990 adventures on your website. Now I only see mention of the H&B racks.

The H&B style rack is actually preferable to me, as, if I've read correctly, that gives the option to run either a top loading or side loading case, rather than being restricted to the side loaders. In addition, I'd like the option to swap to soft luggage for trips involving more dirt, and it looks like the H&B style of rack would work better with soft bags.

Basically, I just wanted to confirm that when ordering a full kit for a ktm 9x0 Adventure, it now comes with the H&B rack. I know its tough to keep websites 100% current, especially with such a wide product line (many of the 'other' brand websites are throwing a bunch of 'under construction' messages around, so I appreciate all the info available here and on your site) and as such, I've seen you mention there are options not listed on the website.

Can a top rack be ordered down the road with a lock to match the key for current side cases? Or do they need to be ordered in one go?

When ordering spare compression latches, does this setup need the H&B latches, or the Caribou luggage system latch? I presume H&B, but with shipping to canada I like to eliminate doubt and re-shipping.

If case liners are ordered at the same time as the rest of the setup, are they pre-installed? And if so, are the lanyards included, in case it's desirable to go back to that system down the road? Can both be run simultaneously so that the lid doesn't fall all the way open if the liners are unbuttoned? e.g. if the case lid is desired to be used as a table of sorts on the roadside.

Finally, aside from foot room (she wears a womens 8, so should be good on that front) do the larger 40L cases get in the way of passenger comfort? Mounted high enough to make leg contact or anything like that? I know they're a fair bit taller than the 36L cases. The hard cases are mainly for 2 up touring, so passenger comfort is important. She's about 5'8" if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any info, I've pretty much narrowed my choice down to a set of these, just trying to decide on size and options.
Flyin Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:35 AM   #2027
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Oddometer: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Phil View Post
Lots of info here, thanks for all the updates. I hope I'm not repeating questions, I know you answer a lot of things more than once here...

It's been a while since I last looked into the the various luggage/rack options, but I seem to recall seeing a caribou specific rack for the ktm 990 adventures on your website. Now I only see mention of the H&B racks.

The H&B style rack is actually preferable to me, as, if I've read correctly, that gives the option to run either a top loading or side loading case, rather than being restricted to the side loaders. In addition, I'd like the option to swap to soft luggage for trips involving more dirt, and it looks like the H&B style of rack would work better with soft bags.

Basically, I just wanted to confirm that when ordering a full kit for a ktm 9x0 Adventure, it now comes with the H&B rack. I know its tough to keep websites 100% current, especially with such a wide product line (many of the 'other' brand websites are throwing a bunch of 'under construction' messages around, so I appreciate all the info available here and on your site) and as such, I've seen you mention there are options not listed on the website.

Can a top rack be ordered down the road with a lock to match the key for current side cases? Or do they need to be ordered in one go?

When ordering spare compression latches, does this setup need the H&B latches, or the Caribou luggage system latch? I presume H&B, but with shipping to canada I like to eliminate doubt and re-shipping.

If case liners are ordered at the same time as the rest of the setup, are they pre-installed? And if so, are the lanyards included, in case it's desirable to go back to that system down the road? Can both be run simultaneously so that the lid doesn't fall all the way open if the liners are unbuttoned? e.g. if the case lid is desired to be used as a table of sorts on the roadside.

Finally, aside from foot room (she wears a womens 8, so should be good on that front) do the larger 40L cases get in the way of passenger comfort? Mounted high enough to make leg contact or anything like that? I know they're a fair bit taller than the 36L cases. The hard cases are mainly for 2 up touring, so passenger comfort is important. She's about 5'8" if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any info, I've pretty much narrowed my choice down to a set of these, just trying to decide on size and options.
Hi Phil,

All good questions. Yes, for the KTM we offer the Hepco Becker racks, and with the HB racks you can run top loading, side loading, or soft bags. No problem orering the top rack/case later and matching the key. The spare compression latch is the same one used for all our side luggage systems, but they are kitted slightly different for each rack type so you have to orer the one for the HB rack set-up. We pre-install the liners, and we don't include lanyards when you order the liners. They could be run together although the lanyards won't be doing anything unless you unbutton the liners and even then the lid will open only to about 80 degrees. If you wanted the lid to open far enough to stay open you would have to unbutton the lanyards too. No problem with the 40L cases and foot/leg room on the KTM.

Hope this helps. Everything is in stock and ready to ship.

-roger
Made in Boulder, Colorado USA
PH: 303-786-8947 Mon-Sat 8:00am-5:00pm Mountain Time Zone
CaribouCases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:18 PM   #2028
Ze_zaskar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Hello again.
Just got a Peli 1450 case, confirmed it was the perfect size for me. One question, the latches on my case have some play when closed. Is this normal?
Ze_zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:32 PM   #2029
Flyin Phil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribouCases View Post
Hi Phil,

Hope this helps. Everything is in stock and ready to ship.

-roger
It does, thanks for the info. Order placed!

Do you combine shipping costs when sending multiple pieces in one order?

Thanks.
Flyin Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:25 AM   #2030
snowwolf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Hi,
From the your's web, I ordered a F800GS side cases system ,
Due to carelessness, I choose the wrong My Shipping address ,
I sent an E-mail to roger@cariboucases.com
And write right shipping address to Roger,Hope he can help me to correct the mistake.
If you have other questions , please contact me .
Thanks!
my email : advrider@wo.com.cn

snowwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #2031
TierHawg
Herder of the J-Cats

Oddometer: 130
Was wondering if there is intention to offer the Wolfman Luggage racks (Backroadsmoto) as another option? The list of available bikes is growing. I'm not sure if the smaller unbraced racks would work, but they are increasing the offering of racks for larger dual sports.
TierHawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:11 AM   #2032
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by TierHawg View Post
Was wondering if there is intention to offer the Wolfman Luggage racks (Backroadsmoto) as another option? The list of available bikes is growing. I'm not sure if the smaller unbraced racks would work, but they are increasing the offering of racks for larger dual sports.

The smaller un-braced racks are not designed to take the weight of hard bags. Wolfman / BRM already do an option to fit Pelicans to the cross braced racks to allow easy switching between hard and soft bags.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:09 AM   #2033
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Hello,

The BRM racks are designed for a puck-style mounting system, and there is not a really good way to make our mounting system work with these racks, among other issues. I'm not a huge fan of the puck-style mounting system. There are issues with it and IMHO it would be better to just bolt the cases to the rack. Soft bags can easily be attached to the Hepco Becker racks we sell, or to Givi or Motech racks we offer kits for, and then your options for hard cases are great. Compared to 5 years ago, the options to switch hard/soft cases among various racks has expanded significantly. Lots of options out there at many price/value points.

Thank you.

-roger
Old 02-17-2012, 06:10 AM   #2034
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowwolf View Post
Hi,
From the your's web, I ordered a F800GS side cases system ,
Due to carelessness, I choose the wrong My Shipping address ,
I sent an E-mail to roger@cariboucases.com
And write right shipping address to Roger,Hope he can help me to correct the mistake.
If you have other questions , please contact me .
Thanks!
my email : advrider@wo.com.cn

I believe we have this taken care of Snowolf.

-rog
Old 02-17-2012, 07:36 AM   #2035
TierHawg
Herder of the J-Cats

Thanks for the quick answer Roger.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:05 PM   #2036
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by TierHawg View Post
you can always purchase carribou cases the way you want and the size you want and buy wolfman's hardcase attachment kit and put it on yourself.
the only thing roger could do is premount those kits to his cases, but you can do this too.
roger sells side case indiv. or as a pair and you go to wolfman for the racks.

my buddy has a 800 tiger w/ gen 2 wolfman racks & pelican cases hard bolted to them and yes it's a beefy system. with the case disconnect kits you can use hardbags for road touring and soft bags for adv touring. the whole hardcase vrs softbag when off road is opening a huge can of worm in itself...kinda like which oil is the best.

roger likes his case to have a safety release in the latch upon a hard crash where as wolfman and other puck style plus direct bolt do not do this. it's just a different way of seeing things, but that should not stop you from using roger's cases.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350

eakins screwed with this post 02-19-2012 at 08:13 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #2037
TierHawg
Herder of the J-Cats

After a few months of window looking, I decided on the HB racks and 36L cases for my Super Tenere.

Thanks Roger.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:52 AM   #2038
Chef Gareth
Live 2 Ride

Oddometer: 214
Thumb

Hi Rog, just a quick update on my kit I bought from you. I have had them for about 8 months now and love them, I had a crash and broke my ankle about 5 months ago with NO damage at all to the panniers, slightly bent mount on the front but nothing I couldnt easily fix. Went for a ride with a mate a few weeks ago and after one ride his Trax where trash, he only droped it once at a near stop and panniers now wont shut properly and he had some tools in his top box and by the end it looked like a bomb had gone off inside and dented the F@#K out of it. I nearly went for the Trax but am very glad I made the choice to go with your brand.

Thanks again
Chef Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:10 AM   #2039
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Gareth View Post
Hi Rog, just a quick update on my kit I bought from you. I have had them for about 8 months now and love them, I had a crash and broke my ankle about 5 months ago with NO damage at all to the panniers, slightly bent mount on the front but nothing I couldnt easily fix. Went for a ride with a mate a few weeks ago and after one ride his Trax where trash, he only droped it once at a near stop and panniers now wont shut properly and he had some tools in his top box and by the end it looked like a bomb had gone off inside and dented the F@#K out of it. I nearly went for the Trax but am very glad I made the choice to go with your brand.

Thanks again
yep. in a hard dump a pelican will be the last part broken on the bike.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #2040
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Suzuki V-Strom 650 2012 Side Luggage Now Available

Hello Everyone,

Our complete Caribou side luggage systems for the new 2012 V-Strom 650 are in stock and ready to ship. You can find them here... http://cariboucases.com/store/?name=...=i&item=000405
here... http://cariboucases.com/store/?name=...=i&item=000407 and here... http://cariboucases.com/store/?name=...=i&item=000408

We are using Hepco Becker "Lock-It" (easily removable) racks for this system and our super-tough side cases based on Pelican, Storm and SKB. No photos yet but we'll get them done soon.

Anyone in the Denver-Boulder area that can lend us this bike for a couple of hours will get a killer deal on side case system or a top case. We need to get the top case done and take photos. Send me an email please.

Thank you.

-roger