User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2012, 07:02 AM   #2056
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Oddometer: 1,200
Suzuki V-Strom 650 2012 Rear Top Case Systems Now Available

Attention all 2012 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 owners! Caribou rear top case systems in 25L, 34L, 35L, 36L and 40L sizes are now available. Our top cases offer a great value with nearly indestructable waterproof cases with an integrated lid lock. All our cases have a lifetime gaurantee - you break it and we replace it, all you pay is the shipping costs. The kit includes everything you need for a complete rear top case system - no need for an additional rear rack and no modifications to the bike are required.

The 34L case on the new V-Strom DL650 (holds a full helmet)...

Our QFS (Quick Fasten System) offers the lightest and strongest top case attach system available. This helps you minimize the weight up high on the bike. The cases attaches quickly to the aircraft grade T-6 aluminum cargo plate which by the way offers a way to carry all kinds of things. And, there is nothing bolted to the bottom of the case so it sits flat wherever you put it.

Optional accessories include Back Rest Pads, SOLAS reflective tape kits, Tie-down brackets, Pick-N-Pluck foam kits, and our new Moto-Tote bag for those errands around town.

Please visit our web site at www.cariboucases.com for more details and to order. Thank you!

-roger
Made in Boulder, Colorado USA
PH: 303-786-8947 Mon-Sat 8:00am-5:00pm Mountain Time Zone
CaribouCases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:49 PM   #2057
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Do we have any '08 and newer KLR 650 owners that can spare a few moments out of your day and help out a fellow rider having trouble with his Caribou side luggage install? This customer is in the Dallas area, but even email help would be appreciated. Please send me a PM with your email if you can help. Thank you very much.

-roger
Old 06-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #2058
Ixxioixxl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
On the Hepco & Becker side case racks for the 2012 V-Strom 650s that come with the Caribou cases the instructions are wrong. You will need to Google forums for better, stromtrooper has a good set. The rear blinker wires are not even long enough and you will need to splice in extensions...which are not included of course.

I'm not sure why you attached your name to these racks instead of making your own. I guess I should have researched Hepco & Becker as well as Caribou to see what I was getting...my fault.

Here is a link to another thread about the racks:
http://www.stromtrooper.com/maintena...k-install.html

Edit: Got them installed, they look nice so far. The Caribou parts/instructions were great, the Hepco & Becker stuff was crap. It feels like mixing Ikea crap and Oak together to come up with something that has weakest links you didn't intend on. The lock-it bolts on the racks kinda defeats the purpose of heavy duty or security. I will probably replace those with real bolts at some point, as well as your case locks with no security bolts...that is just silly. One hex wrench and someone can choose to take either the racks/cases or just the stuff in the cases very quickly, like broad daylight quickly. I just hope the racks don't break since they seem small in diameter for the cases/load they carry, but I know jack about welding so maybe they are fine.

Ixxioixxl screwed with this post 06-25-2012 at 10:41 PM
Ixxioixxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:18 AM   #2059
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Network Monkey View Post
On the Hepco & Becker side case racks for the 2012 V-Strom 650s that come with the Caribou cases the instructions are wrong. You will need to Google forums for better, stromtrooper has a good set. The rear blinker wires are not even long enough and you will need to splice in extensions...which are not included of course.

I'm not sure why you attached your name to these racks instead of making your own. I guess I should have researched Hepco & Becker as well as Caribou to see what I was getting...my fault.

Here is a link to another thread about the racks:
http://www.stromtrooper.com/maintena...k-install.html

Edit: Got them installed, they look nice so far. The Caribou parts/instructions were great, the Hepco & Becker stuff was crap. It feels like mixing Ikea crap and Oak together to come up with something that has weakest links you didn't intend on. The lock-it bolts on the racks kinda defeats the purpose of heavy duty or security. I will probably replace those with real bolts at some point, as well as your case locks with no security bolts...that is just silly. One hex wrench and someone can choose to take either the racks/cases or just the stuff in the cases very quickly, like broad daylight quickly. I just hope the racks don't break since they seem small in diameter for the cases/load they carry, but I know jack about welding so maybe they are fine.
Sorry about the HB Instructions. We are working to include a better clarification sheet and other bits to make it easier, but we need a loaner '12 V-Strom 650 to get it done. So anyone out there with this bike in the Denver/Boulder area interested in loaning us a bike for a couple of hours in exchange for a nice discount please send me an email.

With regard to the Lock-It quarter-turn fasteners, they are very strong and we've not had any reported failures, but if you want regular bolts we offer our Hard Bolt Kit here... http://cariboucases.com/store/?name=...=i&item=000282

As far as the screws for the lid locks we install, they have nylock nuts on the inside of the case so when you try to turn the screw from the outside of the case they spin but don't loosen up. No security issue here.

As far as durability of the racks goes, we have not had one single reported failure of HB racks during the 2+ years we have been offering them, and our customers tend to beat the crap out of things. They are really tough racks.

I disagree with your assesment of the kit. Best of breed racks + The toughest and most waterproof cases + Toughest and most well engineered mount/latch system + Great service + Best value for the price = Excellence in my humble opinion. Yes the HB instructions need a little work and that has been partially addressed with the clarification sheet we include with the kit, and this will be further improved shortly. The turn signal wires are really, really tight, but we can include some extention wires in the kit once we have the exact size and type of connectors needed.

Thank you.

-roger

CaribouCases screwed with this post 06-26-2012 at 04:02 PM
Old 06-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #2060
dem
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Nice accessory for the 36L cases

Just got back from a trip to Canada/AK, including a bunch of monsoon conditions. 36L cases held up like a champ! No leaks, no drama.

I thought I'd share this compression stuff sack - it fits perfectly into the 36L cases when compressed. You can fit a lot of stuff in there without wasting space. You want the small size: ALPS Mountaineering Compression Stuff Sack

http://www.amazon.com/Mountaineering...0830303&sr=8-1
dem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #2061
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Thank you for the trip report Dem, and nice to hear some good news for a change with all the fires and floods out there.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:47 AM   #2062
Ixxioixxl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribouCases View Post

As far as durability of the racks goes, we have not had one single reported failure of HB racks during the 2+ years we have been offering them, and our customers tend to beat the crap out of things. They are really tough racks.

I disagree with your assesment of the kit. Best of breed racks + The toughest and most waterproof cases + Toughest and most well engineered mount/latch system + Great service + Best value for the price = Excellence in my humble opinion. Yes the HB instructions need a little work and that has been partially addressed with the clarification sheet we include with the kit, and this will be further improved shortly. The turn signal wires are really, really tight, but we can include some extention wires in the kit once we have the exact size and type of connectors needed.

Thank you.

-roger
I am sure they will hold up for me then, 2 years with no failures speaks nicely. I probably won't beat the crap out of them the way serious off road riders do. The lock-it bolts are my fault for not knowing about them but if you say they hold up with no failures in 2 years they must. They just didn't look as robust as your custom racks on page 1, but then I know nothing about square tubes vs round tubes, metal, or welding.

I didn't get any clarification sheet for the rack instructions, at least I cannot find one. As far as I could tell the wires weren't just really tight, they weren't long enough. I think the installation would actually go pretty smooth with some type of wire extensions or another way of running the wires that didn't involve them being pinched over the tail light. Eventually I will just take it apart and find a better way with the correct parts(not wire nuts and tape from the garage).

Yes your service was great and fast shipping, I had a question before ordering and you responded in a timely manner. The other person I was considering ordering from didn't reply to my email so he got no business :)
Ixxioixxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:11 AM   #2063
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Network Monkey View Post
I am sure they will hold up for me then, 2 years with no failures speaks nicely. I probably won't beat the crap out of them the way serious off road riders do. The lock-it bolts are my fault for not knowing about them but if you say they hold up with no failures in 2 years they must. They just didn't look as robust as your custom racks on page 1, but then I know nothing about square tubes vs round tubes, metal, or welding.

I didn't get any clarification sheet for the rack instructions, at least I cannot find one. As far as I could tell the wires weren't just really tight, they weren't long enough. I think the installation would actually go pretty smooth with some type of wire extensions or another way of running the wires that didn't involve them being pinched over the tail light. Eventually I will just take it apart and find a better way with the correct parts(not wire nuts and tape from the garage).

Yes your service was great and fast shipping, I had a question before ordering and you responded in a timely manner. The other person I was considering ordering from didn't reply to my email so he got no business :)
Thank you very much for responding, sometimes I over do it when addressing these things. We're looking to source the connectors, and getting great help from another fellow '12 WeeStrom owner. I think one more edit of our HB install supplement sheet, and the extension wires we should be in good shape. We'll try to ensure our supplement sheet goes into every box. Thanks for the patience out there. I think the heat is getting to us
Old 07-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #2064
Rabbot
rain+superbike=adventure

Oddometer: 549
Tiger with caribou pics please

Any Tiger 800 owners have pictures with cases mounted?
I'm interested in seeing how they look from the back.
Does one side stick out farther then the other?
What mounting bracket system you are using.
Have you ever dragged them in a turn?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #2065
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Caribou Side Luggage For Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer Now Available

Attention Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 owners, Caribou side Luggage systems for your bike are now available. Featuring the super tough and waterproof cases from Pelican and SKB, Hepco Becker side racks with the "Lock-It" feature that allows removal of the rack in a few short minutes via quarter-turn fasteners, and our own lid locks, retention straps, lid lanyards, and break-away latch system. Here is a set of our 35L side cases....

Photo courtesey of Dave O.

Accessories available include inner bags, liners, tie-down brackets, SOLAS reflective tape kits, and lid organizers. Please visit www.cariboucases.com for more information and to order.

Thank you!

-roger
Old 07-10-2012, 04:35 AM   #2066
Jiro
Watch Out for Squirrel!

Oddometer: 637
PM'ed you
Old 07-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #2067
Choicecut
Lean, Tender and Juicy.

Oddometer: 289
I am looking to get a caribou system for my 1100gs in the near future. I was browsing your site and noticed that they are unavailable. Is this a temporary thing?
1979 Suzuki DS 100;
2002 Honda XR50 (Pinky Pie);
Choicecut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:56 AM   #2068
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choicecut View Post
I am looking to get a caribou system for my 1100gs in the near future. I was browsing your site and noticed that they are unavailable. Is this a temporary thing?
You would need to get side racks such as Givi, and then one of our kits here...
http://cariboucases.com/store/?name=...&mode=d&id=017

-rog
Old 07-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #2069
Jiro
Watch Out for Squirrel!

Oddometer: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
PM'ed you
Roger - I haven't heard back from you via PM yet.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #2070
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
Roger - I haven't heard back from you via PM yet.
Hi Jiro,

There is no PM in my box. You can send me an email at roger@cariboucases.com if you like.

-rog