Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2006, 05:40 PM   #196
kv
[none]

Oddometer: 5,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsteven
Too little to make a difference in my experience. I've been mounting my pelican style case like this for years. Unless you're carying barbells to the gym how much weight do you really carry, and then, how much time is the case even open? Most of these cases are use to transport sensitive elecronic or photographic gear in the real world. They are pretty rugged. Most you can drive a truck over. Hinges haven't failed on me yet and all my bikes are dual sports and are off road more than on.

Reasonable question though.
Hey, it's a good idea. I just like the fact that they are sort of clamshell in design. It's been my experience that you can cram a whole hell of a lot more into a 35L clamshell case than you can a top loading 37L.

Save $5.00 on a subscription to Smugmug by entering SmYAucfONBnH2 in the 'Referred by' field on the signup form.
kv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 05:58 PM   #197
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsteven
AdventurePipe: Let me stop you right here and give you a BIG design improvement...

Don't mount the Pelican case BODY to brackets; instead mount the LID. That way when you are loading the case it can be filled easily or sorted thru easily...like you are going thru a dresser drawer. With your retention straps (Givi's use 1" elastic) you can then fold it up to the lid and be off.

I was at the Iron Horse Lodge two years ago and BMW GS guy who spend 6 mo. a year on the road looked at my setup as I was unloading and said..."duh, that's so obvious, why didn't I think of that?". His Pelicans were mounted the other way and he was always fumbling to get everything "in" as he closed the case.

Another thought is using black ABS plastic pipe as a tool holder. You can get the glue on end caps and threaded ones. I've used them on the front of my skidplate (TransAlp) and on the left side of my DRZ where it mirrors the muffler.

You can get clear top Pelicans that make great handlebar "glove box/map holders. Mount them on the riser bolts.

Dave Steven

As far as strength, there are indeed lugs on the back of the Pelicans that provide stronger mounting. There are no lugs on the lid. In a crash, you're better off with the lids outward, and I always go with the stronger method. Makes me feel invinceable. I was out for a ride this weekend, eagles all over the place, prairie dogs running for their lives, and having the Pelican cases on there took out the one 1150GS vulnerability that always bugged me - the plastic BMW cases and mounts.
Made in Boulder, Colorado USA
PH: 303-786-8947 Mon-Sat 8:00am-5:00pm Mountain Time Zone

CaribouCases screwed with this post 11-29-2008 at 01:05 PM
CaribouCases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:06 AM   #198
Oddfellow
Beasty Rider

Oddometer: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventurePipe
Also working on an elastic retention strap, looks like this only final version will be a bit wider strap material. Keeps you stuff in place, unhooking the clip in the center allows the straps to release back to the sides and out of the way....
Will us "pioneers" be able to upgrade to these retention straps? He said, while cleaning tools awaiting the UPS guy.

'02 BMW R1150 GS Adventure SOLD
'05 Honda XR650R
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
Oddfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:52 AM   #199
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Yes indeed Mike, I sent you an email. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2006, 06:28 PM   #200
Master of Disaster
Using my CRS18:7:206 hand

Oddometer: 755
having melted the side of my stock GS cases, is this 'bou system far forward enough to avoid something like that...
my melt occured about 3 inches from tip of the none lowered remus pipe i've got.
Master of Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:59 AM   #201
R_W
wannabe

Oddometer: 4,126
a full sheet of moose heatshield would be in order on the back of the exhaust side box, regardless of who's box it is.
R_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:33 AM   #202
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,054
Quick question: Will the 1550 cases hold a full faced helmet?

I doesn't look like it by the internal deminsion specs on the Pelican web site, but wanted to make sure.

Could you give me the approx dimentions of the pelican case mounting bracket in case I decide to mount a different case in the future.

Thanks, Dan
Old 01-19-2006, 04:10 PM   #203
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Dan, A helmet will not fit in a 1550 case. The bracket that attaches to the case is about 10" x 10." You can attach any flat-backed case to this bracket, or at least a case that is flat around the outer edges.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:26 PM   #204
R_W
wannabe

Oddometer: 4,126
How's the KLR coming?

Need a beta tester?
R_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:27 PM   #205
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,054
Thanx Roger. You will be hearing from me soon!

Dan
Old 01-21-2006, 10:21 PM   #206
iuekwee
Let's be friends.

Oddometer: 356
I'm just a money scrudge, but do you get a discount if you purchase both the Caribou Case System and say, an Adventure Pipe w/ the Right Side Canister and a few more extras like the Techlusion?
iuekwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 12:52 PM   #207
BROKENTOOTH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
What about the 06 GSA

Roger,

I don't see any issue based on photos out there but my (on order) 06 GSA 1200 needs bags. If you think it's ok, I'll buy a set of bags and rack along with the larger of the two top cases right away.
BROKENTOOTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 02:20 PM   #208
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by iuekwee
I'm just a money scrudge, but do you get a discount if you purchase both the Caribou Case System and say, an Adventure Pipe w/ the Right Side Canister and a few more extras like the Techlusion?
iuekwee, The BEST way to get a discount specifically for BMW F650GS AdventurePipe accessories, and I hope I am not going to break an unwritten rule here by mentioning another excellent web-site (if I do someone let me know and I'll edit this out), is to join the Chain Gang at www.f650.com. Great bunch of folks and you'll get more than your membership costs back, and be part of a very good bunch. I know some of the money from that site goes to charity, so you'll be doing a good thing too.

-rog
Old 01-22-2006, 02:27 PM   #209
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROKENTOOTH
Roger,

I don't see any issue based on photos out there but my (on order) 06 GSA 1200 needs bags. If you think it's ok, I'll buy a set of bags and rack along with the larger of the two top cases right away.
Hi Brokentooth, The 1200GS design is done but I have to make the final fit test on the bike and then it is 3-4 weeks of production time until they are available. So I would wait until I announce general availability here before ordering. I don't like to hold on to other people's money, just in case the Denver Broncos pull out of a 21 point deficit in the AFC west Q3 and I have a heart attack
Old 01-22-2006, 04:25 PM   #210
BROKENTOOTH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
10-4 Roger,

Please keep me on your list. The moment they're ready, pm or call me and we have a deal.
BROKENTOOTH is offline   Reply With Quote