User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2006, 08:13 PM   #481
cgar380
actual self portrait

Oddometer: 266
Roger,
have you finished working up the Tiger bags. Dave was taking frame pics of his bike (03/04?) and the 06 demo at the shop (Erico Motorsports, Denver) a few months ago. I haven't seen or heard anything yet but want to start pushing these as a stock bag replacement for my current and future Tiger customers.
Please PM me or email me directly with details.
thanks,
chris
cgar380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 04:16 PM   #482
firerigger
Trauma waiting to happen

Oddometer: 810
I just bought an '00 LC4, and the one thing I'm bummed about is that I can't get a Caribou system for it...

Current rides:
'04 KTM 450 EXC
'07 Triumph Tiger 1050
'07 Triumph Daytona 675

Gone but not forgotten:
'00 KTM LC4-E Sixdays
'06 KLR 650
'06 DL-1000

Save yourself (and me!) money at SmugMug: Coupon code YE2eMDKcBDhGY
firerigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:03 PM   #483
furiousfart
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Sure, though I built my own racks to go with your modified 1550s. The only thing that I really noticed when the rack and bags were on was the back of the DR saggs quite a bit with the stock spring. Because I ride solo on the DR, I'll be redoing the racks to move the bags forward and tilting them just a little bit more.

If I could've i would've bought yours, good design.
furiousfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:02 AM   #484
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by furiousfart
Sure, though I built my own racks to go with your modified 1550s. The only thing that I really noticed when the rack and bags were on was the back of the DR saggs quite a bit with the stock spring. Because I ride solo on the DR, I'll be redoing the racks to move the bags forward and tilting them just a little bit more.

If I could've i would've bought yours, good design.
After doing some preliminary design and cost analysis, the Caribou luggage for the KTM 640, DRZ, DR 650 would have to be priced same as my other system ($695 + shipping). This is about $100 too high for this market relative to the other options out there, and I cannot squeeze $100 cost out of it. The volume for this product would be much, much lower than the BMW GS/V-Strom/KLR/Tiger/Buell combined market, making things even less appealing. For now at least I'm going to have to pass on doing Caribou luggage for these bikes, but I still offer 1550 & 1520 cases with locks/lanyards/retention straps integrated for other racks. When I first considered these other thumpers I thought it would be good business, but once I got into it the cost problem became cery clear this would not work out competitively. My apology to those that waited, and thank you for your understanding.
Made in Boulder, Colorado USA
PH: 303-786-8947 Mon-Sat 8:00am-5:00pm Mountain Time Zone
CaribouCases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:03 AM   #485
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgar380
Roger,
have you finished working up the Tiger bags. Dave was taking frame pics of his bike (03/04?) and the 06 demo at the shop (Erico Motorsports, Denver) a few months ago. I haven't seen or heard anything yet but want to start pushing these as a stock bag replacement for my current and future Tiger customers.
Please PM me or email me directly with details.
thanks,
chris
Chris, I sent you a PM, I need a '06 Tiger in Boulder to do the design work.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:08 AM   #486
Playa Shark
High Desert Prowler

Oddometer: 546
What about the big KTM?

What about the 950, huh?

And, since I am in the question asking mode, are you considering a top loader option?
Old 07-25-2006, 10:53 AM   #487
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Roughy
What about the 950, huh?

And, since I am in the question asking mode, are you considering a top loader option?
I'm not sure on the KTM 950. I've had very few requests on this bike.

CaribouCases screwed with this post 11-29-2008 at 01:29 PM
Old 07-25-2006, 07:32 PM   #488
Playa Shark
High Desert Prowler

If your interested I will start a thread in Orange Crush referencing this thread to see if there is enough demand to make a 950 run economically feasible. Let me know. It appears to me the KTM contingency is almost the same as the BMW in the aftermarket farkle department, and the numbers are growing as the old GS riders realize the error of their ways. (Just kidding - please no hate mail!)
Old 07-26-2006, 06:05 AM   #489
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Roughy
If your interested I will start a thread in Orange Crush referencing this thread to see if there is enough demand to make a 950 run economically feasible. Let me know. It appears to me the KTM contingency is almost the same as the BMW in the aftermarket farkle department, and the numbers are growing as the old GS riders realize the error of their ways. (Just kidding - please no hate mail!)
That would be great. Vendors posting things like that are often not met with acceptance.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:52 AM   #490
Capotourer
CapoNoMore

Oddometer: 547
Design a top box mount for the Pelican on a Caponord and I'm in. Yeah, yeah I know but there is just not to many Capo's around.....let me know. Thanks
Capotourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:00 PM   #491
gken1954
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
now I would really be interested in the 1440's for a 650 vstrom. I need a top loading box for my uses. 1550's would not work at all. Please, make this happen. thanks!
gken1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:58 PM   #492
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gken1954
now I would really be interested in the 1440's for a 650 vstrom. I need a top loading box for my uses. 1550's would not work at all. Please, make this happen. thanks!
I've experimented with the 1440 top loaders, and there are a few problems. The biggest being they will add 4" overall to the width compared to the 1550s, so you will be in BIG BUTT territory, I mean really FAT BOTTOM . I also have to modify them significantly, and I beleive this weakens them too much. Finally, they hold about 1 liter less the the 1550's. In the end you end up with a case that is much larger, holds less, not as strong, drags more wind, and costs more. So, the ultimate top loader case is still a goal, I'm sure we'll figure it though out in time.

EDIT 2009: The 1440 Top Loading Side Case Luggage system width and weight problems have been resolved and the complete side case system is now available.

CaribouCases screwed with this post 02-10-2009 at 12:49 PM
Old 07-27-2006, 07:19 PM   #493
Playa Shark
High Desert Prowler

AdventurePipe, I have done your bidding. Now where is my kickback? Seriously, hope there is enough interest so you can make some money and I can get my set.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:25 PM   #494
gken1954
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Cry

well, this is a bummer, but thank you for the honesty. not sure what to do now....
gken1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:21 AM   #495
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gken1954
well, this is a bummer, but thank you for the honesty. not sure what to do now....
I know some of you folks want top loaders, but consider a few things about them, in addition to the problems we ran into noted above;
a) When you strap tents, sleeping pads and such across the back, you can't get into the top loaders without taking this other stuff off your bike
b) Our upcoming Pelican-case rear top cases would also probably have to come off in order to open the top loaders

I frankly hated side-loading cases from BMW, but now I'm a side-loader convert with the Pelicans. The BMW side loaders had contours inside that made my stuff slide outward and made the space hard to use. The Pelican cases have a nice rectangular shape and are easy to load up. Having the Pelican lid open only 80 degrees, and having the retention straps holding my gear in place, I never have the old problems I did with the BMW cases. In 10,000 miles, most of it with camping gear, I have never, ever had one item fall out on the ground with the Pelicans. But, I have waited on my buddies as they try to find something at the bottom of their top loading cases, then they have everything out on their seat, or it falls on the ground, then they discover the item they want is actually IN THE OTHER #$%&*#! SIDE! I use color-coded stuff sacks from REI and everything is quickly accessible and easy to find. I don't have to unstrap my tent and sleeping pad off the pillion to get inside my side cases. I can use any rear top case on the market, soft or hard, and not have a fit problem. I never have a lid hinge issue or have to be concerned about a lid taking flight on the road.

So, there is a serious case (pun intended) for Pelican side loaders, but I still get a lot of demand for top-loaders. We can make an aluminum top-loader to fit Caribou racks, add some struts inside for more strength, bombproof the lid & locks, and offer the whole system under $1,000. Perhaps this is the way to go since doing plastic involves draft angles that cause lots of sizing problems noted above. This is really not a problem with the Pelican company, it is a problem inherent in molding top-loading plastic cases that have the right dimensions & weight. I hope this better explains the top-loader challenges, and note that I hear you top-loader fans.

EDIT 2009: The width and weight issues with the 1440 Top Loading case have been resolved and a complete Caribou 1440 36L side case luggage system is now available.

CaribouCases screwed with this post 02-10-2009 at 12:51 PM