Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2007, 08:16 AM   #811
R_W
wannabe

Oddometer: 4,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribouCases
The problem with the XR, and the DR, is that few people are going to spend $700+ for hard cases for these bikes, and I really need to sell at least 50 systems to make it worthwhile. My DR650 loaner bike deal fell through because the fellow was not interested due to price (respectful of the nice guy with the DR, he was certainly very good about it). What I think is needed is a $500 system for the XR, DR, DRZ, KTM 640. It is a real cost challenge.
well, if us cheap b@$tard KLR guys will buy them at $700.....
Old 04-27-2007, 08:47 AM   #812
Curmudgeon
Enjoying the ride

Oddometer: 1,021
Quote:
The problem with the XR, and the DR, is that few people are going to spend $700+ for hard cases for these bikes, and I really need to sell at least 50 systems to make it worthwhile. My DR650 loaner bike deal fell through because the fellow was not interested due to price (respectful of the nice guy with the DR, he was certainly very good about it). What I think is needed is a $500 system for the XR, DR, DRZ, KTM 640. It is a real cost challenge.
KTM 640 Adv owners don't mind spending money for the best. The OEM racks aren't bad, perhaps you could mount your bags to them (no rack developement time), or has this already been done?

Patrick
Old 04-29-2007, 12:25 PM   #813
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Oddometer: 1,200
The Caribou case bracket will not fit OEM racks.
Made in Boulder, Colorado USA
PH: 303-786-8947 Mon-Sat 8:00am-5:00pm Mountain Time Zone
CaribouCases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:48 PM   #814
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

OHV Luggage System

Attention off-road & rock crawling folks. Here's a secure, easy to attach & release, tough and waterproof luggage system for the bed of your truck or in open cab of a Jeep or other OHV. Pelican 1550 and 1600 cases are used. We integrate locks into the lid of the cases, and the compression latch that attaches the case to the bracket fixed to the vehicle has a key lock as well. Makes a great tool case when using the optional Pick-N-Pluck foam padding. Turnkey kits for most mini and full-size pickups, and DIY kits for just about any truck or OHV will be available soon. Easy bolt-on system, some hole drilling required. Here are pics of the Caribou Truck/OHV system in my Toyota Tacoma....

Here's the 3/4" 16ga tube steel bracket that the case attaches to....

The 1550 just barely peeps out the top of the bed....

Secure things in the bed of your truck without having a full cap or one of those bolted-in big tool boxes. Unlatch the case and off you go with your tools, parts, or whatever you like. Pricing looks to be between $250 and $275 depending on the case size. DIY kit will be a bit less. I will be at the "Cruise Moab" event May 2-4 showing this product and getting feedback. If you are in Moab this coming week, stop by the vendor area Wed evening. Gives you a good excuse to ride to Moab and do the White Rim while your are there. Thank you!
Old 04-30-2007, 07:57 AM   #815
illustratedman
n00b

Oddometer: 3
1150gs adv

Roger i'm very interested in your set up for the 1150 adv, but it looks to me like the exhaust gases are directed exactly onto the rear bushing/mount area. Doesnt this melt the plastic bush? or have you modified the design. On the 1200 it looks like a metal bushing material is used?
illustratedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:08 AM   #816
R_W
wannabe

I like the truck boxes. two questions/ideas:

1. How hard would it be to modify the mount to go on a spare tire carrier--so the box kind of becomes your spare lock.

2. Do you think the mounts are strong enough to mount under a flatbed (lid facing DOWN)?
Old 04-30-2007, 08:10 AM   #817
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by illustratedman
Roger i'm very interested in your set up for the 1150 adv, but it looks to me like the exhaust gases are directed exactly onto the rear bushing/mount area. Doesnt this melt the plastic bush? or have you modified the design. On the 1200 it looks like a metal bushing material is used?
For the 1100GS, 1150GS and 1200GS we use a brass bushing for the rear mounting point. The left rear cleat that grabs this bushing has a cut-out to allow exhaust to pass.

-rog
Old 04-30-2007, 08:31 AM   #818
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_W
I like the truck boxes. two questions/ideas:

1. How hard would it be to modify the mount to go on a spare tire carrier--so the box kind of becomes your spare lock.

2. Do you think the mounts are strong enough to mount under a flatbed (lid facing DOWN)?
The case, case bracket, hoop, and compression latch are rated at 300lbs max load. Keep in mind the effects of a moving vehicle, acceleration, and resultant forces. F=ma Over the next few weeks/months I'll be looking at different applications like those you mention and this will drive what turnkey solutions are productized. The spare tire mount is a good one, especially for Jeeps, 4-Runners, etc.. I think modifying the product shown on my Toyota truck is very possible if you have the tools/ability to make some bracket parts. Welding a plus.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:00 AM   #819
R_W
wannabe

well, 300 lbs is not much when you are soaking up multiple G's. Under the bed doesn't sound like a good idea.

Waterproof lockable storage has been a tough thing to buy for a jeep, I think you are on to something.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:09 PM   #820
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,489
Thumb

I just installed a set of caribou cases on my 1100GS.
Easy install and excellent design. I had to make a spacer for the left passenger footpeg bracket to accomodate my stock muffler.

I like how solid the mounting system is.

I can't wait to road test on a long ride soon.
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:39 AM   #821
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Looks like the DR 650 project is back on. I hope to have the bike here in a couple of weeks.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:02 PM   #822
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Attention 2008 KLR 650 owners!

I need a 2008 KLR 650 here in Colorado to do the Caribou luggage design work. Anyone with one of these new KLR's please contact me for discount offer details. Thank you.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:08 PM   #823
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

New F650GS Rear Mud Flap Brace

A riding buddy of mine stopped by this past weekend with a broken tail-light/rear fender/mud flap on his F650GS Dakar. I came up with brace that attaches to the Caribou luggage rack (top case or side case system) and keeps that rear fender/mud flap rigid.

Note: We no longer make this product.

CaribouCases screwed with this post 07-09-2011 at 03:20 PM
Old 05-01-2007, 02:51 PM   #824
rnr
Simple. Fast. Paid for.

Oddometer: 1,003
nice ride up/write up

Rider magazine had a nice write up on caribous in the latest issue.

Count me in as a guy with a DR who will pay $700!!!

And your Michigan beta bike stands ready!

rnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:41 PM   #825
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,905
Quote:

Hey Roger while I understand that most people that own the DR's and XR's won't spend the money on hard bags, the one's that want them have no where to go. Just a thought though. Also, remember the triumph tiger owners need something alot better than the stock crap that comes with the bike.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote