Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
Seems like R100GS would be a good call, a whole lot of them out there
Pretty Please!
Old 12-05-2005, 01:18 PM   #109
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,111
bookmark. too bad the mounting rack ain't for the KTM LC4s... but I need to get back to work before reading your thread.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:51 PM   #110
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Oddometer: 1,185
BMW F650GS Prototype Complete

Here are some pics of the F650/DAKAR prototype, testing begins as soon as the wind in Boulder retreats to something under 70 MPH.

Please note that we now use Hepco Becker side luggage racks for the BMW F650GS/G650GS/DAKAR.
Made in Boulder, Colorado USA
PH: 303-786-8947 Mon-Sat 8:00am-5:00pm Mountain Time Zone

CaribouCases screwed with this post 07-09-2011 at 02:02 PM
CaribouCases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 04:34 PM   #111
AFekete
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,208
Thumb Looks great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventurePipe
Here are some pics of the F650/DAKAR prototype, testing begins as soon as the wind in Boulder retreats to something under 70 MPH.

Same case/bracket system as that used on the 1150GS. As with the 1150GS system, the F650GS system uses 3/4" 16ga steel tubing rail with two lower cleats (front and rear) forming a solid luggage frame. Rear cross-bar creats a strong box structure.

Roger,

Your doing a great job! This is a fantastic option for many riders and I applaud you in taking this setup and bringing it to the market. If I can be of any assistance, you have my number.

Andrew
AFekete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 07:36 AM   #112
meat popsicle
Ignostic

OK, finally got thru the thread, good job with offering a mounting system and upgrades for the Pelicans. I read that you are working on other bikes in the future. A couple of points/questions for ya:

1) your mounting system, it doesn't have a break away component does it? I am sure you have seen the threads discussing mounting Pelicans to bikes with ricardo eh? One of the bigger points we came up with is how to mount them so they can pop off in a spill and then be remounted in the field. How to do that and allow them to lock and be taken off quick and easily was the trick...

The point of the break away is to protect the rack and bike from the Pelicans, since they do not break or give so easily; if the Pelicans do not release upon impact and the impact is severe enough, then the rack and/or bike may suffer significant damage. This would be a must to gain my interest.

2) the top loader Pelicans would be perfect, if they were not so small. Did you ask Pelican how many orders you would need before they would consider building a custom top-loader for ya? Power in numbers! This would be the ultimate Pelican case for panniers and might boost you sales into the stratosphere.

3) when you design the racks are you testing to make sure the frame doesn't contact the rear wheel with full compression? Just asking since I don't think the cross member on your rack would work with the KTM 640s; maybe it would but I have heard that lowering links and knobbie tires are enough to make the rear contact the wheel well.

Old 12-06-2005, 07:54 AM   #113
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Popsicle,

The breakaway component is the compression lock mechanism. Currently I have it set for a 300lb maximum load. When this breaks the case comes off, and a simple nylon compression strap can be threaded through the bracket on the case to the rail and get you to your destination. Replacement compression locks will be available. I plan to include how to do this with the product instructions.

The 1430 Pelican top loader is very small. My relationship with Pelican has to grow significantly before cahnges to their product line will be implemented. If packed and loaded right, side-loaders are optimal, but I respect that everyone has their preference. I can't predict right now if/when a decent size top loader will come available from Pelican, Storm, or other.

For each bike I calculate, CAD layout, and physically test the maximum compression of rear suspension to ensure the cross bar does not contact the rear tire. Thank you for the heads up on the KTM 640, I will be watching for this one.

Hope this helps.

CaribouCases screwed with this post 07-09-2011 at 02:03 PM
Old 12-06-2005, 08:42 AM   #114
meat popsicle
Ignostic

I hope your 300lb setting is conservative enough to protect the rack and bike; good job on addressing that detail. It sounds like an entire locking mechanism is required to repair the break away, that is unfortunate since the break away would be expensive to fix and bulky to carry spares eh?

Since you didn't say you had mined the ricardo thread, here is a link with many of the ideas I had reposted here and more:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61381

I hope Pelican can be made to see the market for a larger top loader good luck.

Old 12-06-2005, 09:23 AM   #115
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

[QUOTE=meat popsicle]It sounds like an entire locking mechanism is required to repair the break away, that is unfortunate since the break away would be expensive to fix and bulky to carry spares eh?
QUOTE]

FYI - About $25 and 10 minutes to replace the entire compression lock, fits in the palm of your hand. About $1 for just the cam, fits on your thumb. A simple nylon compression strap (like that on a backpack) or even just a short length of 1" wide nylon strap will get you down the road very well.

-rog
Old 12-06-2005, 09:39 AM   #116
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventurePipe
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
It sounds like an entire locking mechanism is required to repair the break away, that is unfortunate since the break away would be expensive to fix and bulky to carry spares eh?
FYI - About $25 and 10 minutes to replace the entire compression lock, fits in the palm of your hand. About $1 for just the cam, fits on your thumb. A simple nylon compression strap (like that on a backpack) or even just a short length of 1" wide nylon strap will get you down the road very well.

-rog
Good info,

So the cam is the break away part? But the lock (mount) cannot be repaired? Just wondering what is needed for field repairs. The nylon strap is a good backup for emergencies, but if the lil' cam could be used to properly repair the mount in the field (or even the entire mechanism if its not too large for packing considerations) then that would be ideal.

Old 12-06-2005, 10:04 AM   #117
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Good info,

So the cam is the break away part? But the lock (mount) cannot be repaired? Just wondering what is needed for field repairs. The nylon strap is a good backup for emergencies, but if the lil' cam could be used to properly repair the mount in the field (or even the entire mechanism if its not too large for packing considerations) then that would be ideal.
Yes, typically the cam will bend/break, and it is very easily replaced with a spare in the field. If the entire compression lock itself were to break, you could quickly remove it and easily replace it with a spare in the field. In either case you can use the nylon strap until you got to civilization and I send you a spare. All these parts are small, light and inexpensive to carry as spares.

-rog
Old 12-06-2005, 10:41 AM   #118
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 26,885
Old 12-06-2005, 11:04 AM   #119
ndmiller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Thumb 1200GS Waiting

Waiting to see what you come up with for the 1200GS as I use these cases already for all my guns. The dual application possibility along with the fact I can ride my bike to the range would be awesome.

Tester in waiting..........

Noah
ndmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 12:28 PM   #120
janders
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
If I would have seen this thread before buying my 12GS system cases, I definitely would have waited.

That being said, I'm still *very* interested in how the 12GS cases and rack come out.

Very interested.