User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2008, 07:39 PM   #1351
Mad*Sparrow
NoMadic Wanderer

Oddometer: 180
Switching out my JC Whit

This has probably been answered already but since I'm lazy and this is post number 1351 I'm going to ask anyway.

How secure is the topcase with the locking mount? Would it take a lot to yank the case off if someone were trying to steal it and it's innerds? I'm not expecting superhuman but more than an average tug would be preferred.

When you purchase the cases do they come with any internal foam or can it be purchased with the case for a modest amount?

I'm thinking the 36L, I've got a laptop that I would like to protect. Thanks.

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Mad*Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:33 AM   #1352
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad*Sparrow
This has probably been answered already but since I'm lazy and this is post number 1351 I'm going to ask anyway.

How secure is the topcase with the locking mount? Would it take a lot to yank the case off if someone were trying to steal it and it's innerds? I'm not expecting superhuman but more than an average tug would be preferred.

When you purchase the cases do they come with any internal foam or can it be purchased with the case for a modest amount?

I'm thinking the 36L, I've got a laptop that I would like to protect. Thanks.
One would have to use a pry bar to get the top case off. It can be done, but it would require some force to bend the steel parts or break the M10 bolt on the latch. You can get the foam, but it is pricey, about $35 per case, and takes about 2 weeks to get it in. Just call and order it special. Thank you.
Made in Boulder, Colorado USA
PH: 303-786-8947 Mon-Sat 8:00am-5:00pm Mountain Time Zone
CaribouCases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:27 AM   #1353
Matt the Wanderer
Supremely Not Lost

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribouCases
We don't recommend or sell the 1620 as a top case due to size and weight.

I mounted one on my R100GS and road a few thousand miles through the Appalachians. Mounted to the rear and presenting the wide side to the wind, it was unruly at any speed over 60mph. Next I will mount it lengthwise along the frame axis with the lid opening on the downhill side and move the entire box forward until the front wall serves as a backrest. The narrower wind profile will certainly improve the miserable aerodynamics and locating the weight closer to the bike's CG should help some, too.

Even with the box mounted too far back, the feel of the bike was still superior to carrying a passenger and the weight was no issue at all. It was really nice carrying my dry goods in safety during a two week rainy spell with no sogginess-ever.

Imagine having a top loader that size, boys. Yup, it was a luxury.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:54 AM   #1354
Kynosis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Everyting is ready to ship so if you want a set just call us to order (303) 786-8947. Thank you.

awesome. thank you. I'll be calling soon.
Kynosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:06 AM   #1355
versite
sticky side down

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by versite
WHERE ARE THEY? :)

I just spoke to Roger (aye!), and ordered meself some ALS 36L cases for my Versys to be using the SW-MOTECH EVO racks.

First thing in the AM, order those racks, adapter thingy, and locks.

Waited 90 pages of forum... Waiting a few more days is going to be tough :)

versite
and i have just ordered these: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...tview/3696/77/ "SW-MOTECH Quick-Lock EVO Carrier (Kawasaki Versys 650, '07-) for Givi..." and the appropriate givi fitment kit and snazzy locks ($40!!!) why the locks? well, the sw-motech is quick release, and we can't be having that. the bags are worth more than that ;) the contents of the bags are probably going to be worth something too. also, piece of mind: another kind of security, Roger's bulletproof racks probably won't fall off a bike, but imagine if the quick release features don't fail the way you'd like... your rack MIGHT fall off. not if it's secured with a screw/lock though; one hopes

versite
versite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:37 AM   #1356
NVTS
stupid hipster dufus

Oddometer: 587
Roger, any word on the ALS for the Ulysses? I'm willing to buy an old Caribou mounting system should you find one in the shed. I called today as well with a message from a 540 area code. NVTS
NVTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:32 PM   #1357
versite
sticky side down

Quote:
and i have just ordered these: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...tview/3696/77/ "SW-MOTECH Quick-Lock EVO Carrier (Kawasaki Versys 650, '07-) for Givi..." and the appropriate givi fitment kit and snazzy locks ($40!!!) why the locks? well, the sw-motech is quick release, and we can't be having that. the bags are worth more than that ;) the contents of the bags are probably going to be worth something too. also, piece of mind: another kind of security, Roger's bulletproof racks probably won't fall off a bike, but imagine if the quick release features don't fail the way you'd like... your rack MIGHT fall off. not if it's secured with a screw/lock though; one hopes
versite
okay then... i just got a revised email from Twisted indicating the SHIP date is nearly two weeks out from TODAY. not good, no no no. i'll be using my cases as an ottoman instead of on my bike if that happens.

anybody have some leads for me on a good/trusty vendor with IN STOCK bits? like, NOW NOW NOW?

i'll call Twisted when they are open tomorrow, but i don't think they can expedite this, so i might cancel. don't want to wait THAT long NOW. in fact, i would vastly prefer that i have the bits FIRST (this weekend, one day if necessary, so i have time to install them before the cases show up)

we HATE the waiting game :(

thanx

versite
Old 09-03-2008, 05:51 PM   #1358
Mad*Sparrow
NoMadic Wanderer

Oddometer: 180
The Sparrow just landed on a Caribou

Quote:
One would have to use a pry bar to get the top case off. It can be done, but it would require some force to bend the steel parts or break the M10 bolt on the latch. You can get the foam, but it is pricey, about $35 per case, and takes about 2 weeks to get it in. Just call and order it special. Thank you.
Fair enough. I just put my order in for a topcase. I requested my business address instead of my home address that Paypal uses for shipping because of reliability problems. I hope you don't have problems with that. I placed the information in the message with the payment. I should be able to come up with my own padding for $35. I'm thinking a laptop case will suffice anyway. Thanks.

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Mad*Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:31 PM   #1359
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Thank you Mad Sparrow

I did indeed see the alternate shipping address.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:37 PM   #1360
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
okay then... i just got a revised email from Twisted indicating the SHIP date is nearly two weeks out from TODAY. not good, no no no. i'll be using my cases as an ottoman instead of on my bike if that happens.

anybody have some leads for me on a good/trusty vendor with IN STOCK bits? like, NOW NOW NOW?

i'll call Twisted when they are open tomorrow, but i don't think they can expedite this, so i might cancel. don't want to wait THAT long NOW. in fact, i would vastly prefer that i have the bits FIRST (this weekend, one day if necessary, so i have time to install them before the cases show up)

we HATE the waiting game :(

thanx

versite
Well, that stinks. I can't speak for Twisted, but the Versys racks are probably selling pretty fast and they may be having trouble keeping them in stock, or someone forgot to order more. Twisted is the sole importer to the US for SW Motech I believe. I hope you can figure out how to manage for a couple of weeks, and if not let me know, I won't ship the Caribou ALS stuff until I hear from you.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:05 PM   #1361
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,111
I think Eurotech is the main importer.

http://www.eurotechmotorsports.com/

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:31 PM   #1362
versite
sticky side down

Quote:
Well, that stinks. I can't speak for Twisted, but the Versys racks are probably selling pretty fast and they may be having trouble keeping them in stock, or someone forgot to order more. Twisted is the sole importer to the US for SW Motech I believe. I hope you can figure out how to manage for a couple of weeks, and if not let me know, I won't ship the Caribou ALS stuff until I hear from you.
checking on sw-motech's .DE site, it shoes Twisted as "the dealer" for the USA... so, i wait. maybe they do some early? if not, they'll come in two weeks, so be it. i'll still call them to clarify.

and yes, if they are truly the only game in town for mounting "anything" to a versys, including of course, them givi things ;) well, one waits. i probably should've ordered them early, but wasn't sure about that either.

so, yes, oh yes, do send the cases. yes yes yes. even if i have to wait, i'd rather not wait even longer still. send send send.

versite
Old 09-03-2008, 07:33 PM   #1363
versite
sticky side down

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin
I think Eurotech is the main importer.
http://www.eurotechmotorsports.com/
interesting. still. i think i'll wait. have to, as i'm not a wholesaler :)

oh, Roger, y'all should consider keeping some of the generic racks in stock? i dunno, maybe not. you don't want duds... but "one stop shopping" rocks :)

versite
Old 09-04-2008, 02:32 PM   #1364
versite
sticky side down

Quote:
weird and weird... apparently the racks/etc are being packaged up today and is going out "right away". heh. blame it on the computer software. so if the cases ship this week too, well, now it's a race ;) well. yay. once installed, i can be my own pony express :> versite

versite screwed with this post 09-04-2008 at 02:43 PM
Old 09-04-2008, 06:33 PM   #1365
CaribouCases OP
Boulder CO

Quote:
weird and weird... apparently the racks/etc are being packaged up today and is going out "right away". heh. blame it on the computer software. so if the cases ship this week too, well, now it's a race ;) well. yay. once installed, i can be my own pony express :> versite
Your cases shipped today too.