User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2005, 07:52 PM   #1
PoodlePumper OP
Custom Title User

Oddometer: 1,171
Question KLR Chain Lube

I'm sure this has been covered...if so, sorry. I picked up a KLR last weekend and have ridden a little over 350 miles.

What guidelines do you guys use for applying chain lubricant? What should I use? I've heard different things - such as only using WD-40, etc.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

PP
PoodlePumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 08:38 PM   #2
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Infinite Opinions...

hooo boy.

Chain lube - this will be like a tire thread!

Lots of opinions out there. For a dirt oriented bike NOT very many people use those continuous drip type "oilers" that some street riders put on their bikes. "Scottoiler" I believe (I don't have one).

There is a little hand held brush and lube guide unit that some people use, you put the tube from the aerosol lub can in it and it supposedly puts the lube in the right places as well as brushes crap off the chain.

But I think most just spray it on (and maybe make a bit of a mess doing it). Especially for an o-ring chain, warm up the chain with about 10 minutes of riding (or when its still warm as you return from a ride). Apply lube to the "inside" of the chain even though the "outside" is easier to reach, so that centrifigul force throws the lube "into" the chain, not out of it. (It won't hurt it to also lube the outside too if you can't resist, I know I do, just can't look at those "dry" links.)

I think I'm using Maxima right now but there are many products. I do NOT like some of the very sticky road oriented ones that I think attract too much dirt off-road.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 10:56 PM   #3
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,361
On many forums, this stuff is considered to be the greatest thing since sliced bread:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motor...chain-lube.htm

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 11:17 PM   #4
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.

Oddometer: 1,727
That's the stuff I'm using! DuPont, the miracle people.
Dagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 04:56 AM   #5
topes
Banned

Oddometer: 6,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoodlePumper
I'm sure this has been covered...if so, sorry. I picked up a KLR last weekend and have ridden a little over 350 miles.

What guidelines do you guys use for applying chain lubricant? What should I use? I've heard different things - such as only using WD-40, etc.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

PP
Use a real chain lube and never use WD-40. You CAN use WD-40 to clean the chain but you should lube after the cleaning with a real chain lube. When traveling, I lube every other gas fillup. My chains seem to last fairly well.
topes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 06:09 AM   #6
PoodlePumper OP
Custom Title User

Oddometer: 1,171
Great - thanks all!

PP
PoodlePumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 08:56 PM   #7
alyef
Bikeless

Oddometer: 308
automatic chain oiler! It will save you money in the long run by having your chain last longer.

http://www.spellingsociety.org
alyef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 09:58 PM   #8
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,706
Whatever you do, don't use Honda, Suzuki or Yamaha chain lube.....it won't work on a Kawasaki.

O.K., serious. It's far more important to keep up on chain maintenance/lubing than what brand of lube you use.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 12:09 AM   #9
RGott
Old, Slow, Happy.

Oddometer: 35
[QUOTE=baltopilas]Use a real chain lube and never use WD-40. /QUOTE]

For every alarmist opinion you read about WD-40, you will find another person getting 20,000 miles on a chain that only saw WD-40.

Desert Dave's view is probably the most rational: It's relatively unimportant WHAT you use to lube your chain, what's more important is THAT you lube and maintain the chain. Based on the mile or so of threads I've read, the general consensus seems to be that lubing a KLR chain about every 400 miles seems sufficient...more frequently if you have been riding offroad or in rainy or muddy conditions. That lines up pretty well with Baltopilas' every other fillup regimen.

Choosing chain lube is like choosing which oil to use--it's a personal and usually emotional decision. Some people think a high tech teflon spray is the greatest. Old School traditionalists will counsel 90WT gear oil. Contrarians will use nothing but WD-40 just to prove the doubters wrong. My guess is that it really doesn't make all that much difference what you use-where and how you ride and whether you keep the chain adjusted is probably more important in determining chain life than the type of chain lube you use.
Use whatever makes you feel good.
Just use it.

"Is a KLR the be all end all of motorcycles? Well, yes, it is."--CA Stu
RGott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 12:37 AM   #10
Johnny KLR
Woefully Adventurous

Oddometer: 1,282
I like the wax based lubes; I'm currently using BelRey which seems to be working quite well. Wax based ones just tend to stay put better. I'll use whatever I can if needed though.

On the WD-40 points, though, is that the rest of your bike loves this stuff. My engine is frequently coated in this to clean and protect; especially for winter riding.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream."

-Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Johnny KLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 05:56 AM   #11
DMZ
Castor Bean Addict

Oddometer: 10,079
I was winterizing the KLR and wanted to lube the chain. All I had around was some white grease (lithium) in a spray can. I gave the chain a good coat of that. The bike sat for around two weeks and the weather got nice so I took it out on a 50 mile highway run. When I got back I filled the tank and added some Seafoam. I was figuring to wipe the grease off the rear rim and tire, but when I look at it there was nothing to wipe. That stuff stuck to the chain better than the wax. Uhmmm....?
DMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 06:19 AM   #12
McD
Nothing

Oddometer: 1,633
FWIW I just changed my stock chain and sprockets at almost 22k miles. I've used WD40 almost exclusively since about 5k miles. The chain was stretched, but still had some life left.
McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 10:53 AM   #13
Prairie Dog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 748
One of the most awesome and befitting "semi-auto chain-oilers" I have ever seen on a bike was on a KLR I saw up in Tennessee.

The owner and tinker-extraordinaire had taken a hand soap dispenser - typically bought for about $2.00 - some clear plastic tubing and some tie wraps and fashioned this contraption up from that.

Once a day, as you ride down the road, you reach down by your left knee and press the soap dispenser once. The 90w gear lube then drips on the chain and your worries are gone.

I am in the process of making one for my KLR.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

'08 KLE 650-A8F
'06 DL-1000 K6
'06 KLX 331 H6
'04 KLR 650 A18
'92 EX500 - one day a KLEX500?
'74 Honda CB350F - project bike

"You'll never see a motorcycle parked in front of a Psychiatrist's office!"
Prairie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 05:28 PM   #14
Sandflea
One Lump or Two?

Oddometer: 907
Chain Lube

90wt gear oil or PJ1 Blue Lable chain lube (for quality and convienence). 90wt gear oil is cheap and available everywhere, and it is what chain manufacturers recommend for lubing their chains. On "O" or "X" ring chains you are really lubing the sealing rings and not lubing the internal chain parts, unless it is shot. 90wt gear oil
00' SV650n
02' KLR650
98' XR400 Aloop kit plated
86' XT350 Flat Track

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. Amen. -Monk, name unknown
Sandflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 06:45 PM   #15
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG
90wt gear oil or PJ1 Blue Lable...
And me - I HATE PJ1!!!
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote