User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2005, 05:49 AM   #1
matteo OP
HPM

Oddometer: 498
Question Looking for a Al subframe

Does anyone know of someone who fabricates Al subframe for a R100GS? And can help with the seat.

I know about HPN, but I'm hoping to find someone more local. Northern California would be fantastic.

Thanks
I love this forum.
matteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 08:20 AM   #2
bcostell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
What are you trying to achieve - is it weight savings?

If so, the rear subframe is not very heavy to start with, there are other parts of the bike you can look at that may be easier to lighten, is the bike an early or late GS or PD?

If you're trying to strengthen the subframe drop me a line, I'm over the other side of the Bay, I've done some beefing up of the subframe so can share some notes.
bcostell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 09:59 PM   #3
matteo OP
HPM

I'm looking to give my GS a more sporting look and to reduce weight. I also want a seat that I can shift my weight on. I currently have a corbin and my seating position is pretty much fixed.

I've already done some things to reduce the weight. I think this is the next logical step.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:23 PM   #4
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,318
Two ideas for you:
1) Get a factory seat from Ebay or the flea market (in any condition). Re-foam and recover it as a dirtbike style seat OR have Renazco recover it in that style. Along with this mod, you could cut away the rear rack portion of the subframe (I wouldn't but it IS your bike).

2) Get an R80 G/S subframe which has a more abreviated rear section. Change to the R80 seat. While you're swapping seats you could change to the Acerbis / HPN / Wudo 11 gallon tank
Old 10-29-2005, 10:38 PM   #5
bcostell
Gnarly Adventurer

Here's one of my GS's with a stock rear subframe.

Old 10-29-2005, 11:04 PM   #6
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

That bike is sweet. I miss my bumblebee
Old 10-30-2005, 07:59 AM   #7
matteo OP
HPM

Pics of my GS

Here are a couple of photos of my bike. Currently I'm dealing with the seeping alternator seal.

matteo screwed with this post 10-30-2005 at 08:22 AM
Old 10-30-2005, 10:00 AM   #8
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Wow, you've been hard at work! Whose pegs are those? HPN exhaust? Where's your battery? I don't see a kickstarter and there's a lot of space in there where your battery tray used to be. I see you have changed the rear fender and dumped a lot of parts.

You've got the solo corbin and the PD rack. I probably don't have to tell you that you could get good money out of them--especially since they look so good. That'd probably go a long way to a custom seat.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:40 AM   #9
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
both look very nice.
you both have a MUCH beefier rear coilover-shock setup than mine.
are those the ohlins I read so much about?
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 01:32 PM   #10
bcostell
Gnarly Adventurer

Yup to Ohlins on the rear. I also got some custom front springs made - linear +30% over stock, so I could install the Gold Valve. The pegs are Fastways.

I wanted to fit Hotgrip and dump the BMW grips...for reliability and so I could fit Acerbis Pro-Brush guards. I had to get some lugs made to fit in the end of the bars to space and mount the guards.

Old 10-30-2005, 04:20 PM   #11
rockt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteo
Here are a couple of photos of my bike. Currently I'm dealing with the seeping alternator seal.

Corbin seats weigh a ton, I'm sure you know that. I might think of starting with a stock GSPD single seat, (weighs next to nothing), and reupholster to taste.

As mentioned both of these bikes looks awesome.

What tank is that on the yellow one?
rockt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 05:28 PM   #12
matteo OP
HPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCifu
Wow, you've been hard at work! Whose pegs are those? HPN exhaust? Where's your battery? I don't see a kickstarter and there's a lot of space in there where your battery tray used to be. I see you have changed the rear fender and dumped a lot of parts.

You've got the solo corbin and the PD rack. I probably don't have to tell you that you could get good money out of them--especially since they look so good. That'd probably go a long way to a custom seat.

The pegs are Fastway. The exhaust is HPN as is the battery carrier. See photos of the battery.

BTW, I'm having removing the alternator bolt. Looking for advice. See other posting.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:34 PM   #13
bcostell
Gnarly Adventurer

The tank is from HPN, same as from Touratech I believe. You need to have the roo bar modified and a lot of other bits for it to fit, eg. seat, side panels, relocate oil filter

On the alternator... I have a tool you can borrow - I work in San Jose. Any use? Once you've got the rotor and windings off you can lever our the oil seal and press in a new one without removing the timing cover.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:38 AM   #14
TEXASYETI
Call me "thread killer!"

Oddometer: 1,881
Lurker speaks out

Nice bikes guys, I really like the Acerbis tank and would love to have one. Never can have too much range!!!

Question on the bumblebee, I see the cooler has been relocated to a very trick and protected area. It almost looks like the tank is designed to allow the cooler to sit their. Is that the case?

Also, I recently replaced the oil seal that sits at the front of the engine on the crankshaft. I didn't have to remove the timing cover to replace the seal , it just popped out and a new one popped in. It really wasn't that easy, the first one I pushed too far in and had to get another one!

I hope we are talking about the same seal and again, really nice bikes fellas!!

James
TEXASYETI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 07:20 AM   #15
bcostell
Gnarly Adventurer

Yup, you have to relocate the oil cooler otherwise the tank doesn't fit - mine is a Touratech item (relocator kit) - crapola oil lines btw - the fittings aren't angles correctly, I need to get at least one new one made up. You also have to modify the seat and the roo bar if you have one fitted.

Glad to see you got the oil seal fitted, it's not a very tight fit is it? I think it's more of a dust seal than anything else, it's so far above the oil level it's never sitting in oil.