Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2005, 12:32 PM   #16
Loadedagain
making chips

Oddometer: 26,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrestadr
The grip install instructions say to glue the grips on. Should I Wire them instead? Seems like you would rip everything out if you needed to take them off at a later date, if they're glued

you're prolly right about glue vs wire. i glue mine on. if they are destroyed when i change the grips (a couple years down the road) i'll replace them. they are half the price of new grips so i'm not overly concerned about 'em. plus... the wires will probably get a little nick (meaning the warmers get replaced) or cut before the grips are done anyway.

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 01:44 PM   #17
eaglej
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Just be real careful about how you tuck the pigtail of the wire after you snip it off. If you tuck it in (normal style) and it pokes through the thin mylar coating on the grips, you will get some smokin hot safety wire.

J
Old 11-08-2005, 02:17 PM   #18
Trevor S
Cap'n Flatulence !

Oddometer: 1,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrestadr
You're right, the right grip is hotter. I did put a layer of electrical tape under the left. I also put some of that expandable insulation foam in the bar end on the left side, I guess I should've put two or three tape layers on??
I adopted a different approach. Had a short piece of undersized electrical conduit bored out ever so slightly, slammed it onto the handlebar with a rubber mallet (tight as all get out, which is what you want) then used a throttle side handgrip (it's thinner then the standard LHS grip) to match the thickness of the RHS, this provides the same insulation to the LHS as on the RHS and leads to equal "grip heating". Both LHS and RHS grips are safety wired to the bar.
Trevor S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 02:31 PM   #19
Loadedagain
making chips

Oddometer: 26,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor S
I adopted a different approach. Had a short piece of undersized electrical conduit bored out ever so slightly, slammed it onto the handlebar with a rubber mallet (tight as all get out, which is what you want) then used a throttle side handgrip (it's thinner then the standard LHS grip) to match the thickness of the RHS, this provides the same insulation to the LHS as on the RHS and leads to equal "grip heating". Both LHS and RHS grips are safety wired to the bar.
hey.... you're a fart smeller.

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:33 PM   #20
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
I just installed mine. I replaced the tank with an ims and used one of the old tank bolts for a ground since it wasn't used with the new tank. I tapped the license plate light for power. Pretty simple install
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:31 PM   #21
habanero
Multistradler & LC4player

Oddometer: 95
I'm attempting to wire my heated grips into the ignition switch...can anyone tell me which wire is the hot? Red/white?

thanks, scott

edit...

got em working via the headllight.

habanero screwed with this post 10-18-2007 at 12:34 AM
habanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:17 PM   #22
Brucasso
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Question

Loaded,

I was wondering if you had a stator upgrade to run the electric vest? If not did you have problems?

I read Flannys electrical post http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82712 and many others about stator upgrades, 640 electrical, etc...

Is the stator upgrade required for heated vests and grips or just careful electrical management required. Looking at what heated grips and jackets draw, that figure is the Max it will draw, usually your not drawing the max all the time.. I guess the the vest can be run and not the grips and vice versa.

I know this thread is old, but hope someone can enlighten me.

Why did I sell my 950 and buy a 640???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadedagain
i ran a power lead from the battery with a fuse right at the battery to a relay up front. then all accessories are wired from that out. gps, road book, grip warmers, heated vest, radio, etc... added a bunch of switches to the dash to accomodate all the added gear.

Brucasso is online now   Reply With Quote