User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2005, 08:16 PM   #1
Pantah OP
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,118
Cyclepump!

This is an abbreviated review of the Cyclepump from BestRestProducts. To tell you the truth, I have no clue as to who they are. Not only that, but their Cyclepump product appears to me to be a fairly kit finished piece of Rube Goldberg. Even worse, the thing is $90!!!!

I bought one because I spent a lot of money on an adventure-style motorcycle, and I expect it to get flats when used as intended. That means flats in places that are freaking hot and dry with nobody to help closer then $300 away.

I read reviews about various pumps and the Cyclepump came out tops. But I know from decades of familiarity that 12V air pumps are all pieces of crap. WRONG>>>>!

We all know the most important part of any tire pump is its ability to actually put air into the tire valve. We also know that every pump we have ever bought from any store fails at the valve connection. Not so with Cyclepump!

I actually had to use mine today. Its valve connection alone is worth the ninety bucks! It filled my tires in a zip and its valve connection is the reason. Ohh, well, maybe the pump is pretty good too. But that valve connecter is a wonderous piece of engineering. -p
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 08:28 PM   #2
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 23,327
>I expect it to get flats when used as intended. That means flats in places that are freaking hot and dry with nobody to help closer then $300 away.

They come in handy to re-inflate your tires to road pressure for those tarmac blasts between dirt sections as well.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 08:31 PM   #3
GS Spirit
Downsizing

Oddometer: 2,691
Overpriced sure. Could I have found a cheaper one that dose the same thing probably? But it does what it is supposed to and I have used it quite a bit. I bought the gage they sell also and the set up is cool when linked together.
GS Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 08:40 PM   #4
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
I bought a Cycle Pump a few years ago and used it many times, mostly on other rider's bikes. I worked very well.

I've now been using an Airman pump for the last few months or so. It's lighter, has a built-in guage and works well. And it's about $20. This pump is also used as my air gauge and it's been accurate.

I have nothing negative to say regarding the Cycle Pump, but the inexpensive Airman fits my needs better.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 10:50 PM   #5
nomiles
Sledge-o-matic

Oddometer: 4,002
Cyclepump turns out to be the same as any $10 pump, Chinese guts in a shiny box.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ight=cyclepump

You can put a good hose and connector on a cheepy and be $$$ ahead.

Cyclepump

Cheeeeeeeeeeeep pump

There are a few more threads about it if you search.

nomiles screwed with this post 10-29-2005 at 10:58 PM
nomiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 10:54 PM   #6
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,858
Opinions, opinions!

I guess we all see things differently, don't we? I have that pump and it does the job, but, (and this is a BIG but) imho they are mainly marketing and packaging.

Do a search on this site. Someone showed pics of the internals of both the CyclePump and your basic cheapie Wally World pump. They are the same.
I fell for the aluminum case and the red canvas bag myself. The valve is good, but not THAT good. Again, this is only my opinion, as you feel the valve alone is worth 90 bucks. Also, the CyclePump is dreadfully slow and as noisy as the cheapies. It gets there eventually, but I most certainly could pump a tire faster with a bike pump. I expected faster inflation and less noise and vibration.

BTW, I already had an old Black and Decker 12v pump gathering dust in my garage. I paid about $20 for it years ago. After seeing the pix here I tore it apart, and guess what? Again, I found the same mechanism. This old one works just a fast and is just as noisy as my $90 CyclePump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah
I actually had to use mine today. Its valve connection alone is worth the ninety bucks! It filled my tires in a zip and its valve connection is the reason. Ohh, well, maybe the pump is pretty good too. But that valve connecter is a wonderous piece of engineering. -p
Old 10-29-2005, 11:30 PM   #7
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomiles
Cyclepump turns out to be the same as any $10 pump, Chinese guts in a shiny box.

You can put a good hose and connector on a cheepy and be $$$ ahead.

Cyclepump

Cheeeeeeeeeeeep pump

There are a few more threads about it if you search.
I always kinda a gave Best Rest the benefit of the doubt even though I never really cared for their products - but after seeing what is inside their $90 pump, I have not even a hint of respect left for them . Man what a POS, INHO.
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 12:01 AM   #8
jkam
Nomadic Man

Oddometer: 3,810
I've been using an Airman for a few years, cheap, light and works good enough for the girls I go out with.

I had one of the gutted Wally world pumps for awhile but it crapped out on me cause it got dirt inside and froze up. It also got hot as hell and I burned myself a few times.
Cyclepump is better in that it is protected from the elements and doesn't get as hot as an unprotected unitm, but at that price I'd like to see a better pump that fills faster than the cheaper units available.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:24 AM   #9
Queen
Escapee

Oddometer: 24,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkam
I've been using an Airman for a few years, cheap, light and works good enough for the girls I go out with.

I had one of the gutted Wally world pumps for awhile but it crapped out on me cause it got dirt inside and froze up. It also got hot as hell and I burned myself a few times.
Cyclepump is better in that it is protected from the elements and doesn't get as hot as an unprotected unitm, but at that price I'd like to see a better pump that fills faster than the cheaper units available.
I googled looking for a place to buy an Airman but all I could find was reviews on the pump and info on joining the USAF. Can you post a link to where you found yours??
Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 07:23 AM   #10
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBOTU
I googled looking for a place to buy an Airman but all I could find was reviews on the pump and info on joining the USAF. Can you post a link to where you found yours??
QB,

I bought mine & LR's at Fresno BMW. I think they are a small item that's never listed on websites? I'd never seen it before, either, until I walked into the shop. You can call them and order one, or you can probably find one at a BMW dealer near you - just call and ask.

VR

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 07:43 AM   #11
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,972
I tried taking apart a cheap Walmart pump, but I didn't like having exposed gears, hot parts, and no way to set it on a level surface. The Cycle Pump is expensive, but it packs small and works great. I'm glad I bought mine. If it ever wears out, I'll transplant a pump from a cheapo pump.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:57 AM   #12
jkam
Nomadic Man

Oddometer: 3,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBOTU
G'day Mickie.

Airman Sparrow seems to be a popular one at moto shops. I have a different model but I think most of them have the same guts.
Here is a link to Twisted Throttle, they have a bunch of wee strom goodies as well and carry the Sparrow.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/1872/133/

When you've got some smiles on the wee, let me know how your getting along.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:09 AM   #13
Queen
Escapee

Oddometer: 24,467
Quote:
G'day Mickie.

Airman Sparrow seems to be a popular one at moto shops. I have a different model but I think most of them have the same guts.
Here is a link to Twisted Throttle, they have a bunch of wee strom goodies as well and carry the Sparrow.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/1872/133/

When you've got some smiles on the wee, let me know how your getting along.
Thanks Jay! And will do regarding the progress report.
Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 09:23 AM   #14
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,858
Quote:
...had one of the gutted Wally world pumps for awhile but it crapped out on me cause it got dirt inside and froze up. It also got hot as hell and I burned myself a few times.
Even with the CyclePump they recommend running it while it's inside the red canvas case so it won't ingest sand.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:23 PM   #15
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJ
Even with the CyclePump they recommend running it while it's inside the red canvas case so it won't ingest sand.
I usually set it on the case rather than in it. The material doesn't seem very breathable and I figure the more air the better, unless the area is really dusty.