Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 07:20 AM   #316
keystiger
rat on a roll

Oddometer: 372
HA Boulder, yep I don't need no stinking crash bars lol. Actually they are next on my farkle list along with MORE lights The Catz Eye fog lights I have are great, but I like being seen. Which is another PLUS to the Tiger or any big trail. You sit up high, and can see over most cars and even some smaller SUV's and more improtantly you can BE SEEN over said vehicles as well.

Ming sweeeeeeeeeeeeet ride! Check out Shinko tires I run 705's trail masters great tires and cheap as poo. A little less knobbie than yours but stick as good as Anakees on the road and work better off road. You can replace BOTH front and rear for what 1 rear Michelin Anakee costs. Anakees where stock Triumph kit on the 955i Tiger.
HEres a linkie thingy complete set for around 200.00
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...res-Tires.aspx
Headlights are certainly not stock. Are they HID's?
I think you are correct the colors for that year did not include red, so she has been repainted but looks a damn fine job.
Congrats again. also search online there are FREE (or very cheap) pdf downloads of the Triumph service manual. Or flea-bay has em cheap as well.
Tigers do eat rear tires for sure, 2 to one over fronts. (having a heavy wrist ads to that lol) My Shinkos have about 3000 miles on them and are still going strong, I can get at least another 1000 outta the rear and the front will go
another 3000 at least.
Is your muffler stock? I have a spare stock can if anyone wants to "convert it" to an off road can (remove the baffles) let me know it can be had for cheap.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #317
keystiger
rat on a roll

Hey Drunk Uncle! Just noticed your location. My Sister and Brother in law live in Anchorage, and my Mother in law lives in Homer.

Hows things up that way?
Old 02-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #318
keystiger
rat on a roll

Sorry didn't answer your octane questions......tend to get on a roll talkin about Tigers

I run 87 octane mostly, but once in awhile will run the "good stuff" through her.

Manual calls for 95 "RON" which is around a 93 octane equivalent from what I can find.

You may want to inquire of the P.O. what he has been running and just keep running that. BUt I can say the 87 doesn't seem to give any issues. However at over 40 mpg it doesn't cost THAT much more to run the good stuff
I'm just a cheap bastard.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #319
MingRidesBikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
Ming, I have right around 3000 miles on my rear TKC and ride the shit out of it. Nice looking bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keystiger View Post
Ming sweeeeeeeeeeeeet ride! Check out Shinko tires I run 705's trail masters great tires and cheap as poo. A little less knobbie than yours but stick as good as Anakees on the road and work better off road. You can replace BOTH front and rear for what 1 rear Michelin Anakee costs. Anakees where stock Triumph kit on the 955i Tiger.
Headlights are certainly not stock. Are they HID's?
I think you are correct the colors for that year did not include red, so she has been repainted but looks a damn fine job.
Is your muffler stock?
Quote:
Sorry didn't answer your octane questions......tend to get on a roll talkin about Tigers

I run 87 octane mostly, but once in awhile will run the "good stuff" through her.

Manual calls for 95 "RON" which is around a 93 octane equivalent from what I can find.

You may want to inquire of the P.O. what he has been running and just keep running that. But I can say the 87 doesn't seem to give any issues. .

Thanks for the complements guys!
If the TKC's will go over 3000 miles on the rear I may stick to them for one more set. I'm comfortable on them as I was running them on my KLR. I'll do some more research on tires for my next set though. I know Sasquatch runs the 705's on his girlie and he talks pretty highly of them. Premium here in Idaho is 91 octane, so I'm guessing I should stick to that. The headlights are bright, but are not HIDs. (I think they are aftermarket spotlights?) The person I bought the bike from took it in as payment for some handy work he did for someone, so he doesn't know any of the bikes history. I'm going to tear into it a bit and just do some basic maintenance next weekend. (Coolant flush, oil change, clean and lube the chain, etc.) what oil do you guys recommend? (oil weight, and dyno vs. synthetic?) and how many quarts? Sorry for all the questions guys. I tried to check out tigertriple.com but looks as if it is no longer online. Lastly, what handgaurds are you running with these bars? They are crazy! hahaha! Looks like a wacky ATV bend. I may have to get rox risers and do a renthal fatbar like I did on the KLR so I can get regular handgaurds on the bike. Thanks for all your input!
MingRidesBikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #320
keystiger
rat on a roll

On no you didn't go THERE......an oil question.......

I use Rotella T6 synthetic. Get it at Wally-world for like 20.00 a gallon. 4.22 u.s. quarts is what the book calls for.

Certain you will get a million different oil suggestions. I have been running the Rotella for a couple years now. I was using the Mobil Synthetic 4T the book specs. However it was WAY more expensive (like 10-15.00 a QUART)
Old 02-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #321
MingRidesBikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
On no you didn't go THERE......an oil question.......

I use Rotella T6 synthetic. Get it at Wally-world for like 20.00 a gallon. 4.22 u.s. quarts is what the book calls for.

Certain you will get a million different oil suggestions. I have been running the Rotella for a couple years now. I was using the Mobil Synthetic 4T the book specs. However it was WAY more expensive (like 10-15.00 a QUART)

haha. what not amsoil?!?! I kid I kid! mainly just wanted to know what weight everyone is using. (or what the manual recommends.) I'm guessing 10w/40? 15w/40?
MingRidesBikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #322
keystiger
rat on a roll

Well ...there is Royal Purple as well......

Manual say Mobile 1 4T 10-40
The Rotella T 6 is a 5w-40 dunno if its the right thing to do or not but my Tiger, and my Subaru Forester both seem to LOVE it.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #323
mustang
Lurker Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 623
the original Triumph spec was for Triumph branded Mobil 1 4T racing oil 15/40 .

at some point , not exactly sure, Triumph dropped the Mobil 1 as oil supplier and switched to Shell IIRC .

And a few years back Mobil 1 4T changed to 10w40

the 10 40 stuff works just fine as does the Rottella T 5w40
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #324
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,403
who's still making a skid plate and crashbars? Also is the oil cooler guard necessary for gravel and worse roads?

The only company I can find is Touratech. I found a nice 2001 for sale. No protection on it. Looks like big money to guard everything up. Thanks
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #325
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,059
I run oil cooler and radiator guards because you don't want to put a rock through one in Alaska. I could be a few days for recovery. Touratech makes both the skid plate and crash bars, but only the SW Motech centerstand works with those.

I run the Twisted Throttle original Denalli LED lights on mine and love them. I use the bottom headlight guard bolts to mount
them to the fairing.

Oil, the only definitive answer is run synthetic. I don't know when Triumph switched, buy my 06 Sprint ST 1050 was delivered with full syn. Took almost 3000 miles to break in, but she still runs like a top.

Its been warmer tha usual here in Anchorage. Actually hitting the low 30s everyday and not alot of snow. Now just waiting for it to melt. My first winter up here.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #326
keystiger
rat on a roll

I found a couple but not sure if they are still around or not.
http://triumph-online.co.uk/tiger-95...885i-815-p.asp

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=813478

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_kw...umph+tiger+955

http://www.thunderbike.co.nz/shopn/s...IKE_1_TIG_6674
Old 02-05-2013, 06:28 AM   #327
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,403
Thanks, I never thought about ebay. Looks like finding a Tiger with some guards makes it worth quite a bit extra.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:25 AM   #328
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
93? 91 Octane? I thought manual only called for 89? Could be wrong - but that's what I recall for 955 FI girlies.
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:33 AM   #329
Photo Boy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphish View Post
93? 91 Octane? I thought manual only called for 89? Could be wrong - but that's what I recall for 955 FI girlies.

My 2006 Girlie called for super unleaded, 93 octane. There were occasions where I ran regular gas with no ill effects.
Photo Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #330
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,059
I haven't looked my girlie manual. Just figured it would be similiar to same year model Sprint ST, 89 octane. have run midgrade through it both here and Europe with no issues. In Europe mid grade is labeled Super Unleaded and Super is label ultra super to something.