Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 06:12 AM   #391
Photo Boy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Bling View Post
Sold my 04 GSA 18 mo ago before the fn ex got it in the divorce. Now I need to ride but for less $ found a black 06 Tiger 955 with 77,000mi. 1 owner and all service records at local Triumph shop. It runs great feels lighter than the GSA and quicker. Has some after market stuff already. price $4,900... anyone with a high mileage 955 with advice.
http://youtu.be/JLEI6h3gg4U
http://youtu.be/82i4POK_gL8
If you found it at at Hap's in Sarasota, that was my Tiger. My avatar is that bike. I traded it in on an 800 roadie. It was a great bike! I would have no problem riding it coast to coast today.

If they won't come down on price ( i'm sure they will), see if they'll throw in a service, fluids, valve check etc. The tires are almost new as is the DID chain and sprockets, 19tooth on the front. It has a Palmer Screen adjustable windshield and that seat is the Triumph gel seat. I have a Russell Day long front seat for sale if you're interested for $150.

Photo Boy screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 06:19 AM
Photo Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #392
Dirty Bling
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Thanks PB, it is the 955i Tiger at Haps. Took it out for a ride and it is real solid. I'll talk to them on Mon. didn't have a chance on Fri. Great to know its a 1 owner and all the service records are included. Family owned and operated dealership, this is my 2nd bike from Haps. Did u ride 2-up?
Old 03-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #393
Photo Boy
Adventurer

DB,

No, I never rode two up. My wife doesn't ride. I have been on many trips to the BRP, WVA, VA, MD, etc loaded with full panniers, topcase and seat bag. Never an issue with lack of power or handling.

That Tiger 955 is a great bike. I was just ready for something new and slightly smaller which is why I traded it for a Tiger 800.

Good luck with the deal, Hap's is great! I've bought 2 BMWs and a Tiger from them since 1993. That 955i I bought on a whim from EuroCycles in Tampa but had the service done at Hap's.

I think you'll find that 955i Triumph triple engine is faster, revvier and so much more fun than the BMW Boxer. I wish I had those hard bags on this 800! I'm looking at Jesse bags for the 800 and a new Russell seat is due here next Tuesday.

If inseam and bike height is not an issue for you, you should really consider a Russell seat for your new Tiger. It will transform the bikes comfort and make 500 mile days a pleasure. The Triumph gel seat that is on the 955 now is better than the stock seat but nowhere near the comfort of the Russell.

Have fun with your new bike. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
Old 03-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #394
keystiger
rat on a roll

Oddometer: 372
Sounds like your gettin a great bike Dirty! Congrats
Old 03-09-2013, 05:38 AM   #395
Dirty Bling
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo Boy View Post
DB,

No, I never rode two up. My wife doesn't ride. I have been on many trips to the BRP, WVA, VA, MD, etc loaded with full panniers, topcase and seat bag. Never an issue with lack of power or handling.

That Tiger 955 is a great bike. I was just ready for something new and slightly smaller which is why I traded it for a Tiger 800.

Good luck with the deal, Hap's is great! I've bought 2 BMWs and a Tiger from them since 1993. That 955i I bought on a whim from EuroCycles in Tampa but had the service done at Hap's.

I think you'll find that 955i Triumph triple engine is faster, revvier and so much more fun than the BMW Boxer. I wish I had those hard bags on this 800! I'm looking at Jesse bags for the 800 and a new Russell seat is due here next Tuesday.

If inseam and bike height is not an issue for you, you should really consider a Russell seat for your new Tiger. It will transform the bikes comfort and make 500 mile days a pleasure. The Triumph gel seat that is on the 955 now is better than the stock seat but nowhere near the comfort of the Russell.

Have fun with your new bike. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
What top case did you use on the Tiger ? I have a universal back rest for the wife but some top cases have mounted back rests included.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #396
Photo Boy
Adventurer

I used a Givi MonoKey 46 liter topcase mounted on a Givi universal mounting plate which bolted on top of the standard Tiger luggage rack. It doesn't have a back rest though Givi makes one for it.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #397
gofargogo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
I'm going to look at an 05 with ~23k on Saturday. Given that these bikes seem to be trouble-free for many more miles, are there any specific things I should be looking at for signs of problems (besides the usual generic motorcycle stuff, e.g. chain, tires, etc..)?
gofargogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #398
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofargogo View Post
I'm going to look at an 05 with ~23k on Saturday. Given that these bikes seem to be trouble-free for many more miles, are there any specific things I should be looking at for signs of problems (besides the usual generic motorcycle stuff, e.g. chain, tires, etc..)?
I will say this:

I have a 06 I purchased new it now has 22,000 Miles on it, and has been the most rock solid bike I own. I had a radiator cap go bad and caused some over heating (boiling) easy fix at any automotive store. one headlight bulb burn out at 16K again easy fix and recommend doing both if your doing it.

The overflow tank had a connector break this to was an easy fix at the local ACE store. Oil change is easy-peasy straight forward, oil filters I use is a PH6017A and I have been running Rotella T6 5w40 both easily available at Walmart. (can do a quick change on the road in the Wally parking lot, and the automotive department may loan you a pan and dispose of the oil.

As for what to look for; the standard condition of the drive line, and aesthetics etc.

Good luck!

Here's mine, took her out yesterday for a little pre-spring ride.

I was cleaning out my storage and found the OEM panniers in there ( been in there since 08). Anyone interested....... for a price of course

A very underrated Motorcycle, I just do not understand why it's not more popular, That said, the Tiger 800 is selling like hot cakes out here..

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:11 AM   #399
Photo Boy
Adventurer

There were several changes made to the 2006 Tiger from the 2005. The biggest was the change to 14 spoke cast wheels onstead of the wire wheels on the 2005. This can be seen as either a plus or a minus depending on your riding style. I saw it as a plus as the cast wheels support tubelss tires. As I ride mostly paved roads, not having to worry about a flat or blowout on a tube tire is a major plus and the reason I bought a 2006 Tiger and not a 2005.

Other changes from 2005 to 2006 include:

The inclusion of hard bags as standard. They were a $1200 option.

Better shifting transmission with a backlash gear to reduce noise and vibration.

New cylinder head and high pressure die cast crankcase like the 1050 Sprint.

Cleaned up the external plumbing and hoses, tucking them behind the engine for a cleaner appearance.

Again, the biggest reason I bought the 2006 Tiger was the cast wheels and tubeless tires.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:26 AM   #400
Hockley Boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
I am on my second Tiger, ride about 20k miles a year in all weathers and they are great bikes for commuting, touring, weekend fun and even a little light off road riding (gravel tracks). Not too may problems with them but you can have problems with the rad cap (prveiously mentioned) and the charging system is a bit of a weakness on some bikes. Other than that a great fun bike that will put a big smile on your face.

By the way I think the Cast Wheel model came in a bit earlier than 06, I have an 05 and an 06 that are both cast wheel. Cylinder head/gearbox changes were 06.
Hockley Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:28 AM   #401
Photo Boy
Adventurer

In the USA the cast wheels were a 2006 model change.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:32 AM   #402
Hockley Boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo Boy View Post
In the USA the cast wheels were a 2006 model change.
That explains it, I think the original cast wheel model was meant to be 05 over here but due to demand was released 04.
Hockley Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #403
Thumperama
RIP Husaberg

Oddometer: 159
05's came with cast wheels. I looked a quite a few before I bought my '06 and everyone of them had cast wheels.
'06 Triumph Tiger 955i, '01 Triumph Sprint ST 955i
'97 & '87 XR600R's

Thumperama screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 07:38 AM
Thumperama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #404
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
A very underrated Motorcycle, I just do not understand why it's not more popular, That said, the Tiger 800 is selling like hot cakes out here..
My guess is the way they look. It takes a while to get used to the fuel tank. Kinda looks like Salvadore Dali designed it.

But I'm still a fan.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers

Rusty Rocket screwed with this post 03-15-2013 at 11:07 AM
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:13 AM   #405
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
My guess is the way they look. It takes a while to get used to the fuel tank. Kinda looks like Salvadore Dali designed it.

But I'm still a fan.
Look at my pic above again, sexy to me, just very well-endowed But yea I can kinda see the Dali surrealistic value there too.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote