User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2010, 10:25 AM   #61
Hatley Rocket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Big Cats

I am glad this thread is resurected. So, I'm not feeling well nowadays, I think its Tiger fever? Not diagnosed, but pretty sure from looking online that's what it is.

I have a klr, and my friend has an '02 tiger. I always thought it was a nice bike and all, but never thought much of it, as I had a vstrom 1000 a few years back(an '03 silver with full silver jesse luggage with 65L trunk, corbin seat, SW-Motech centerstand traded in at corse superbikes, Saukville, WI anyone seen it? We should have a, "Where is my old bike now?" thread. We could have a spreadsheet with owners dates filled in through the years...).

We have Wisconsin's version of house arrest this time of year, and so I was looking at planning a U.P. dualsport ride with the Tiger and KLR. My friend is a bit shy on taking his big cat off road, so I start looking at the, "Triumph Tiger Picture Thread", and various youtube videos to help convince him to give it a whirl. Little did he know that viewing such material would make me a bit woosy, and lightheaded.

This is a great bike, and on the used market you can find nice examples for not too much money! It would probably do everything my KLR did for me, only a bit more comfortable. So now I'm looking for one. I found one in California with everything on it. I want it. Aside from the shipping question, (how much do they cost to ship?) is there a problem with a california bike? Would they have the special emmisions crap, a cat, charcoal canister and all that garbage? If it does, does it matter? There is one I have my eye on in Texas too, its the roulette green color, but no accesories. How much room is in the stock tiger luggage? What can you fit in the muffler side bag? It looks really tight in that one. What about the trunk? Is the tank really plastic? What is the tank bag du-jour? Do the guys with happy trails panniers like that setup? I see it doen't look like Jesse gives a crap about anything but BMW anymore. I'm reading this is a good bike for two up, I rode my friends solo when he got it years ago, I was impressed with how quickly it got up to 100mph. Quicker than the strom, it seemed like to me anyway. I never got to try it two up though. I have been looking for the spoke wheeled version, with ecc chain adjuster, so it would be the same variant of my friends. Here are a couple of my favourite youtube vids(careful you don't catch anything):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjeaF-XTje0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyYpBStw0Uk

This one's not tiger related, but is from the same youtube producer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n5-Jr55b_g

I am so tempted to bite on the tiger in california and just have it shipped. I would have to sell the KLR in spring, and sell a few others odds and ends but I think it's now the bike for me.

Tyler
Hatley Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:44 AM   #62
jtw000
Survivor

Oddometer: 548
I had one for 2 weeks. Hated it. It was overweight and as much fun as a kick in the bollocks. It's not a bad bike it's just not a good one. The 01 was a true enduro bike in so much as Truimph wanted to build a giant off roader but later versions were turned into tourers as they realised they hadn't.
I had 5 other Triumphs. Competent but flawed machines and in the end they all eventually let me down in one way or another.
I spoke with someone who took one on an adventure tour. It fell apart and he had to be rescued by someone on a Caponord. The ultimate embarrassment.
I swapped mine in for a R1200gs. Huge difference. Massive. The BMW was alive by comparison.
jtw000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:28 AM   #63
Hatley Rocket
Gnarly Adventurer

oh,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtw000 View Post
I had one for 2 weeks. Hated it. It was overweight and as much fun as a kick in the bollocks. It's not a bad bike it's just not a good one. The 01 was a true enduro bike in so much as Truimph wanted to build a giant off roader but later versions were turned into tourers as they realised they hadn't.
I had 5 other Triumphs. Competent but flawed machines and in the end they all eventually let me down in one way or another.
I spoke with someone who took one on an adventure tour. It fell apart and he had to be rescued by someone on a Caponord. The ultimate embarrassment.
I swapped mine in for a R1200gs. Huge difference. Massive. The BMW was alive by comparison.

My last three....

BMW R1200GS. Lors of mods and upgrades. Tough bike but not reliable. Had to be recovered twice. Fixed problems but then the fuelling played up. I lost interest and felt like it was never going to be right. Was like riding a windows computer. Replaced it with something simpler.
Wow! I want a bike that feels alive too! Just like a windows computer! That sounds awesome, its probably a good comparison, as they need lots of mods and upgrades too. Maybe microsoft could buy into BMW, it would be a match made in heaven. So, was the tiger better or worse than the "alive" GS?

T

Hatley Rocket screwed with this post 12-25-2010 at 09:10 AM
Old 12-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #64
chairhead
HAIRY

Oddometer: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB View Post
My wife loves it. 45 MPG. Not much luggage space.
What was that about luggage space?

"THERE IS ONLY ONE THING THAT IS BETTER THAN RIDING AN OUTFIT...
AND THAT IS RIDING AN OUTFIT IN THE
WINTER....THIS IS THE GREATEST...."Andreas a.d.k.G

chairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:40 PM   #65
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,116
I have had my 06 Tiger since new, have done two up rides and solo rides the bike always puts a smile on my face period. That said, it has been a solid machine of which is very low maintenance compared to my 990. easy oil change, etc.. Fuel tank is a pain but aren't they all.

Luggage: it came new with the stock panniers, well made although a bit small for carry capacity, particularly the right side because of the exhaust eating the needed area. I opted to purchase the H-T pannier set-up about a year and a half into ownership and I really like'em well made and provides more space.

The bike is not a true DS type of machine but a "sport-touring" that is capable of gravel/dirt roads. I have ridden it two up on Idaho's back roads (forest service roads) and it handle them OK, but it is a bike that like to run alllllllll day long at speed, it purrs (sweet spot for mine) at 80-90 that's the magic place!! will it go faster... OH yea with ease. I don't ride it as much on short hauls I have other bikes for that but I love this machine so I keep it. Must be others with a love affair with theirs too, as I don't many others out there in the secondary market much (EBay, Craigslist, etc) Great machines bullet proof motor. ONLY problem I ever had was an overheat due to faulty radiator cap, period in 20K plus miles.

If you can find a decent one and you want to do long distance trips with gravel road side trips this machine won't let you down.

A few visuals of my Tiger

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d7...t=AVI_0006.mp4

Sorry about so many pictures, but I just want to say the Tiger will take you about anyplace you want to go. Now if you can just find one used, 2001-2006

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley

Idahosam screwed with this post 12-26-2010 at 11:46 PM
Idahosam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:39 PM   #66
Hatley Rocket
Gnarly Adventurer

Asked, and answered

Idahosam,

Thanks for answering my questions, and giving some insights of your own. I don't think anyone minds looking at pictures of Tigers, not me at least. Do you have a photo of the HT panniers from the rear? How wide are they, compared to the handlebars?

Keep them coming!

Hatley Rocket screwed with this post 12-27-2010 at 07:41 PM Reason: mild retardation
Old 12-27-2010, 08:45 PM   #67
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatley Rocket View Post
Idahosam,

Thanks for answering my questions, and giving some insights of your own. I don't think anyone minds looking at pictures of Tigers, not me at least. Do you have a photo of the HT panniers from the rear? How wide are they, compared to the handlebars?

Keep them coming!

OK, your welcome. Here's a couple from the rear of the bike

this one is up on Beartooth pass heading for Custer Battlefield; notice with the wife on a 5 day ride we camped in motels

The Ride RR is here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370108

This one has camping gear on it, the pallion seat has my sleeping bag and sleeping bag all other stuff in the panniers.

That RR is here buried in this RR page 11 :

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...602788&page=11

The HT panniers I chose are not the huge ones mine are 7.5 inch on the left and a little smaller on the right, as I still wanted to get around gates with some ease and to keep the wind drag down, but the most important reason to keep me from packing too much crap I don't really need to carry.

Hope this helps? I don't know much about the 2007 and newer (looks to me more like a sport bike). I would keep an eye out for the new 800 coming out. Me a I very content with my paid for 06 Girlie.

Aldous Huxley
Old 12-28-2010, 10:46 PM   #68
MC Camper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I have over 65,000 miles on two tigers. The first one was killed by a wayword caribou in upper British Columbia. Been between Prudhoe Bay, Alaska and Key West, Florida. Covered 49 states and 7 Provinces in Canada. The tiger is a do everything and go just about anywhere machine. Is it perfect? Of course not. We all want better suspension, less weight, more horsepower, better mileage, etc. However, considering the bike's price, good luck in finding a better mount.

To jtw000: I too rode a GS but it was too much like a tractor to me. To each his own, eh?
IBA #16092
MC Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:15 PM   #69
Sasquatch
Banned

Oddometer: 4,770
I have an 01, bought new in 04. Over 50,000 miles as of this fall. I have taken that bike through all states west of the Mississippi, the western Canadian provinces, and even into Mexico. I have done nasty single track, a place that this beast has no place to be, and then tens of thousands of miles of dirt roads, where it is at home. Spent countless hours on western freeways just trying to get to a destination as well as scraping my foot pegs on tight twisties. It will do it all without fuss.

As Sam said, the bike is not perfect, but the motor is damn close. It will purr along, or snarl at full song with the best of them. Perfectly reliable, easy to work on, and makes me giggle coming out of a corner on the gas.

There is no bike currently on the market that I would trade her straight across for, even the new Tigger. I like open class motors and the 955 is just perfect for me.
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:58 PM   #70
amk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
For those of us who rides taking more than pure fun into consideration there always will stand a question of price: initial + ownership, including reliability and gas/mileage. Tiger, as all Triumphs, does not look very good here.
amk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:12 PM   #71
Sasquatch
Banned

Oddometer: 4,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by amk View Post
For those of us who rides taking more than pure fun into consideration there always will stand a question of price: initial + ownership, including reliability and gas/mileage. Tiger, as all Triumphs, does not look very good here.

Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:26 PM   #72
Yukon PER
Blacksheep

Oddometer: 409
Quote:
Couldn't disagree more. Bought my 06 new for 10k out the door. New GS was over $14 grand, Vee Strom was 9k without the panniers. Manufacturer's warranty was 24 months vs 12 months on the Strom. I have 24,000 on my Tiger and the only repair needed outside of tires and brakes was a rear brake light switch. Still running the original sprocket and chain (have a friend who put 44,000 on his before having to replace the sprockets and chain), have had the valve clearances checked - all within spec. Mileage has been a consistent 44 mpg, 50+ on the highway.

Yukon PER screwed with this post 01-17-2011 at 08:55 AM
Yukon PER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:48 AM   #73
chairhead
HAIRY

Question You what?

Quote:
Hmmm,
i think Amk you will find yourself the only one to come to that sumation,
and i dont know why you think that,in my experience Triumphs are among the most fuel friendly bikes out there,as a solo i was getting a constant 50mpg on a run,thats 250 miles a tank,i bought the bike second hand 18 months ago with 11000 miles on the clock for under 3.5K (),so far ive done 10K miles and not a glitch,the air box mod has really given it some teeth and it goes like a scolded cat,its a shame it seems you've had a bad experience.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #74
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Very well put chairhead, But I would suspect this individual is "trolling" and I will not take the bait, because if he really knew and or owned a Hinckley Triumph he'd never have made such an unfounded statement. Then again perhaps he's flashing back to the early seventies... something to ponder.

I too, can achieve excellent fuel economy provided of course I keep it in the 65 MPH range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairhead View Post
Hmmm,
i think Amk you will find yourself the only one to come to that sumation,
and i dont know why you think that,in my experience Triumphs are among the most fuel friendly bikes out there,as a solo i was getting a constant 50mpg on a run,thats 250 miles a tank,i bought the bike second hand 18 months ago with 11000 miles on the clock for under 3.5K (),so far ive done 10K miles and not a glitch,the air box mod has really given it some teeth and it goes like a scolded cat,its a shame it seems you've had a bad experience.

Aldous Huxley
Old 01-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #75
chairhead
HAIRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
Very well put chairhead, But I would suspect this individual is "trolling" and I will not take the bait
Cheers,
i too thought this guy is on a wind up, but thought bollocks im just gonna tell it as it is
BTW,i could do 70-80 mph and still get 50 mpg,love my Tiger