Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2011, 05:55 PM   #76
atomic frog
pavement ends, YEAH!

Oddometer: 269
I completely disagree with AMK! I have over 30,000 miles on my Tiger, I did have the brake rotors replaced under warranty and the only other "issue" was a broken coolant over flow fitting done by the dealer at the 12K service, and not knowing about it til several days and a quart of coolant later!

The Tiger is rock solid, a hoot to ride and the mileage has been over 50 mpg consistently for me. I don''t have any desire to look at replacing it because there isn't anything out there new or used that is as adapt at all the different roads I travel. I bought mine for just over 9K out the door. I added heated grips and center stand from Triumph and it was still cheaper than anything else I considered except the big Strom.
atomic frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:08 PM   #77
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
How does the 955 handle cross winds and hows the windshield work for buffeting and such?

I'm kind of in the market for something that will run dirt roads but handle 2 up riding, the 955's are very inexpensive.
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:13 PM   #78
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,101
Spot-on!

I think my problem for fuel economy is the damn ethanol they started putting in the fuel here, many threads of discussion on this topic here (ADV).

I average about 46 ish most of the time, If i can find non blended fuel (hard to find) I get increased milage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairhead View Post
Cheers,
i too thought this guy is on a wind up, but thought bollocks im just gonna tell it as it is
BTW,i could do 70-80 mph and still get 50 mpg,love my Tiger

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:23 AM   #79
chairhead
HAIRY

Oddometer: 403
Wicked Those of us in the know own a Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
How does the 955 handle cross winds and hows the windshield work for buffeting and such?

I'm kind of in the market for something that will run dirt roads but handle 2 up riding, the 955's are very inexpensive.
For me the Tiger handles cross winds just the same as any other bike ive ridden,(the exception being a Blackbird i used to own)in strong winds you are going to get blown around,i think this can happen on any bike,as for the screen,well ive found that the Tiger sports screen is best for me,the stock screen was awful,so much noise and buffeted the top of my helmet,
if you go for a Tiger then be prepaired to experiment with the screen,two up is effortless,dirt roads are a breeze and great fun,off road a little more respect and caution is advised,the Tiger is a heavy beast but a fun one

Tiger sports screen fitted,a small screen that keeps alot off shit off

"THERE IS ONLY ONE THING THAT IS BETTER THAN RIDING AN OUTFIT...
AND THAT IS RIDING AN OUTFIT IN THE
WINTER....THIS IS THE GREATEST...."Andreas a.d.k.G

chairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:40 AM   #80
andyhol
volcano rider

Oddometer: 152
My mate brought a 04 tiger for £1800 just before christmas. He's had a 955 speed triple in the past so already loves the motor. I couldn't belive the price and how much it gets to the gallon, around 60mpg(uk).
Compared to my xtz750 its obviouly more powerful but not quite so good off-road. however for what he wants (touring europe) i think its a really great bike.
His only complaint, it feels top heavy. He dropped it twice in the first week of ownership. The second time was the day before the crash bars arrived, doh.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:07 AM   #81
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by chairhead View Post
For me the Tiger handles cross winds just the same as any other bike ive ridden,(the exception being a Blackbird i used to own)in strong winds you are going to get blown around,i think this can happen on any bike,as for the screen,well ive found that the Tiger sports screen is best for me,the stock screen was awful,so much noise and buffeted the top of my helmet,

Thanks, I was looking at Tigers and Wee Stroms, seems the Wee gets a good blowing around as a general opinion.
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:38 PM   #82
craigrevo
Dumb Brit

Oddometer: 205
My new design for a tiger.

craigrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #83
Rob in VA
Go Navy!

Oddometer: 57
06 Tiger vs V-Strom 1000?

Recently bought a beautiful used 2007 V-strom 650 and my wife fell in love with it. She will eventually own it and I will have the pleasure of buying another bike. Have been thinking about getting a nice used V-Strom 1000 but have been researching others and the Triumph Tiger looks like a good comparison. Any thoughts on which is the better bike if I had to chose from a 2006 Tiger or a 2006-2009 Vee?
Old 01-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #84
Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob in VA View Post
Recently bought a beautiful used 2007 V-strom 650 and my wife fell in love with it. She will eventually own it and I will have the pleasure of buying another bike. Have been thinking about getting a nice used V-Strom 1000 but have been researching others and the Triumph Tiger looks like a good comparison. Any thoughts on which is the better bike if I had to chose from a 2006 Tiger or a 2006-2009 Vee?
Ride them both and get the one that blows your skirt up. Both good bikes.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:48 PM   #85
chairhead
HAIRY

Oddometer: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigrevo View Post
My new design for a tiger.

I like alot the tank graphic of the bike(would make a good sticker)question is..............is it a Tiger or an Africa twin??

"THERE IS ONLY ONE THING THAT IS BETTER THAN RIDING AN OUTFIT...
AND THAT IS RIDING AN OUTFIT IN THE
WINTER....THIS IS THE GREATEST...."Andreas a.d.k.G

chairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:28 AM   #86
T
Yippee Ki Yay

Oddometer: 4,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob in VA View Post
I've had both. I liked the Wee (06) as a commuter tool- I put 80k trouble free miles on it. I like the Tiger (05) as more of a pleasure ride. The Tiger seems to be of higher quality but the Strom was great if you just like to get the wheels turn'n. Both have solvable wind issues...

BTW, I ride with others that have the Vee- same as Wee with a bit more get up and go.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:04 AM   #87
amk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Whenever Tiger public starts proudly brag “I rode 10K trouble free miles on my with only replacing a (a switch, a bulb, a sensor – whatever) under warranty”, a third or a fourth Vee (or Wee) owner routinely turns its counter over 100k, often without even proper maintenance.

I finally persuaded myself to check valves at 60K, 15K? by the book, in vain, all were in spec.

In all other cases Tiger might win. I especially admire 2006 side luggage.
amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:24 AM   #88
Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by amk View Post
Whenever Tiger public starts proudly brag “I rode 10K trouble free miles on my with only replacing a (a switch, a bulb, a sensor – whatever) under warranty”, a third or a fourth Vee (or Wee) owner routinely turns its counter over 100k, often without even proper maintenance.
I am more than willing to ride a bike (or drive a car) that requires a little more maintenance or repairs if it rewards me with passion. Jap stuff never did it for me. Wonderful appliances though. Reliable, decent performers, no soul though. My vehicles need to speak to me in ways that I have never seen a Jap or American car do. When that triple comes on full song through the titanium muffler, modified air box, and off road tune...... I need a tissue.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:23 AM   #89
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,594
I love this thread. I love even more the people who like to believe the Tiger is not capable enough to go offroad. These are people who have very little seat time on this bike or no guts.

But yeah, it doesn't go offroad!
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:28 AM   #90
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,594
Oh yeah, all with a Shinko 705 rear and TKC 80 front. Knobbies on the rear get burnt up too quickly.

I had 38K miles on that 955i before I sold it. Yeah, it was outfitted with some nice mods. The thing that I hated wasn't so much the weight as it was the lack of ground clearance and under-bike pipes. I bottomed that bike out all the time on rocks and such. The new 800 looks to have solved the ground clearance issue but still has pipes under the bike for some reason. I'd love to have a go on one though.

Sold the 955i last year and bought a 950 Adventure, got tired of waiting for the then-still-a-rumor Tiger 800. The 950 has the Tiger beat especially when it comes to suspension. I can actually jump the 950 off little things and not have any troubles. I jumped the Tiger a few times and cringed each and every time!
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote