Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2011, 10:48 AM   #91
craigrevo
Dumb Brit

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by chairhead View Post
I like alot the tank graphic of the bike(would make a good sticker)question is..............is it a Tiger or an Africa twin??
The silhouette on the tank is actually a Super Ten but I changed the headlight shape to suit the tiger more.
craigrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:19 AM   #92
chairhead
HAIRY

Oddometer: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigrevo View Post
The silhouette on the tank is actually a Super Ten but I changed the headlight shape to suit the tiger more.
Good job,
shame you could'nt do it with a Tiger

"THERE IS ONLY ONE THING THAT IS BETTER THAN RIDING AN OUTFIT...
AND THAT IS RIDING AN OUTFIT IN THE
WINTER....THIS IS THE GREATEST...."Andreas a.d.k.G

chairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:50 PM   #93
lucky_strike
whose flux?

Oddometer: 2,677
I have owned avstrom 1000 and hated it. To much plastic, to much chain maintence, clumsy at best offroad, stupid pig onroad, and horrible gas mileage. Lets not forget the head buffeting that will give you brain a hemerage.

moving on... I bought a tiger. Oh the love. Handles great, great on fuel, no head buffeting, great ergos, way beter off the beaten path. Love the bike. It truly is a night and day difference between the two.

P.s. I ride that vstrom for 50k miles. 75k on the bike when I sold it. I can't count hore many times that bike left me stranded in the middle of nowhere.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809561
lucky_strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:51 PM   #94
lucky_strike
whose flux?

Oddometer: 2,677
Also, flux is right, yhr people who say the tiger canty go offroad need to grow balls or go riding with d.o.g.s.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809561
lucky_strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #95
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,604
The only thing you'll end up hating about that Tiger, Lucky, is every time ANYTHING needs to be worked on you need to remove the tank. Have fun with that.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #96
Keytime
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_strike View Post
Also, flux is right, yhr people who say the tiger canty go offroad need to grow balls or go riding with d.o.g.s.
I took my 2001 Tiger offroading this past weekend with two friends who had a 2004 KTM 950 and 2008 KTM 990. I have extensive offroad racing experience and could certainly work the Tiger through a lot of stuff, but I felt I could charge a bit harder with the KTM's. My Tiger has no mods concerning suspension, gearing, etc, so I'm sure it could be improved, but the low pipes, extra width, and and higher cg cannot. Some bar risers and lowered pegs might solve the short bar-to-peg distance. The Tiger has really been enjoyable and d*mn solid, but I'm currently trying to decide if I'm going to switch for a more offroad bike. Hmmm....
Old 01-10-2011, 01:12 PM   #97
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keytime View Post
I took my 2001 Tiger offroading this past weekend with two friends who had a 2004 KTM 950 and 2008 KTM 990. I have extensive offroad racing experience and could certainly work the Tiger through a lot of stuff, but I felt I could charge a bit harder with the KTM's. My Tiger has no mods concerning suspension, gearing, etc, so I'm sure it could be improved, but the low pipes, extra width, and and higher cg cannot. Some bar risers and lowered pegs might solve the short bar-to-peg distance. The Tiger has really been enjoyable and d*mn solid, but I'm currently trying to decide if I'm going to switch for a more offroad bike. Hmmm....

The KTM wins hands down in a comparison of offroadability. No doubt. The Tiger WILL do it though. The KTM just does it better.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:58 PM   #98
RandyB

Oddometer: 5,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by chairhead View Post
What was that about luggage space?
Well if you're going to put it that way.... Nice rig.

Blessed be the Lord my God, who prepares my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:36 PM   #99
acody49
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
looking to buy a tiger 955i

I just sold my 05 klr 650 and looking to move up to something more road worthy.I have found a really nice looking 2001 triumph tiger 955i with 26k on the odo.Does anyone have any inputs on this bike pros/cons.What is a fair price(it is fully loaded with givi luggage,corbin seat ect.)I want something with low maint. like my klr.You input would be appreciated.Thanks
acody49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #100
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by acody49 View Post
What is a fair price(it is fully loaded with givi luggage,corbin seat ect.)
Probably depends on where you are. Or where the bike is...

It may not depend on what others in the area are asking for similar bikes, because sometimes those bikes aren't selling. And sometimes they're bogus ads placed to affect the price of a different bike. Or scams.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:39 PM   #101
Yukon PER
Blacksheep

Oddometer: 396
Have you checked this thread out? It has a life span of over 9 years.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103
Yukon PER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:45 AM   #102
zombie
lost in space

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Tiger, as all Triumphs, does not look very good here.

Completely wrong..

I've had my 2001 since new and have absolutely beaten the crap outta the thing , from occasional track days to the Alaska thing and around 75 thousand miles later just replaced the rings on it cos I could and I was curious to see what the inside of the motor looked like.
In that 75k The valves only needed adjusting once at about 48k.
I have yet to find a bike I like more than this thing and it's pretty easy to work on.
Those of us who have had them long term really get this bike and whats it about.
I believe it's one of the best values out there in it's class.
They can be bought for fairly short money and will handle anything you can throw at them.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:21 AM   #103
ArchRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Acody,
I have a 2001 Tiger (Roulette Green) which I bought 2-1/2 years ago. It has most of the same farkles you mention with the exception of the Corbin seat (I plan on adding one soon.) I have the OEM luggage which may be a little smaller than the Givi, although Givi did make the OEM luggage for Triumph. I picked mine up for $3500 and it had about 23k on it. Unfortunately, I had to put some more into it since the chain and sprockets needed to be replaced and the brakes had not been properly maintained while it sat in the previous owner's garage. But even then, I don't think I had a total of over $5 or $6k into it, probably less.
Overall, I love the bike. The link that Yukon posted sums up the performance quite well. You will likely read somewhere on this site that Tigers like to lie down which has been true for mine. It is a top heavy bike. But once you get familiar with its balance and how to muscle it back up (and get some crach bars), it's really hard to beat, especially for the price. The triple sound makes it stand out no matter where you go. It sounds wonderful.
ArchRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:42 PM   #104
acody49
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I am now the proud owner of a 2001 roulette green tiger.It has 26000 well documented miles and looks like new.I think i got a fair price at 4000 considering it has everything you can put on a tiger.I took it for a ride tonight and this thing will scream,I love it!Thank for your inputs.
acody49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:46 PM   #105
crspep
Circling the drain

Oddometer: 165
Pics ???

Pics ???
Me: Gear on and waiting for my race partner to hand off the bike. 8yr old kid: Hey, you race'n ? Me: (looking around to see if he"s talking to someone else).. Ummmm, yeah. 8yr old: What kind of bike you ride'n ? Me: KX 500. 8yr old: (looking puzzled for a second.) Ohhh, you're riding that OLD bike.
crspep is offline   Reply With Quote