User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2005, 03:17 PM   #1
road2blue OP
road2blue

Oddometer: 840
93 PD-restore or monsterize?

In "faceplant" you can read my "I got my Break on Friday" thread. I've been thinking about this since then. My PD has just over 100,000 km on it and has been a good soldier (driveshaft done under warranty at about 20,000 km, omega charging system about 15,000 km ago, corbin dual seal, parabellum touring shield and basically semi regular maintenance and service since warranty ran out (I bought it when it was just over a year old with 15,000 km on it) mostly highway miles but a few very wonderful but low impact offroad miles). Until the accident, it was pretty much flawless. Not always clean and a few minor oil leaks but never down, no weird scratches or dents. The accident pretty much "cleared the superstructure". Headlight, fairing, handlebars, marker lights, mirrors, handlebar switchgear, windsreen, "roobars" all bent to hell and smashed. apparently the tach is shot but the speedo is okay, idiot lights all work. roadrash on the tank, left system case, cylinder crash bars and and valve cover. I don't think the frame is tweaked (truck body absorbed a lot and I don't think the bike hit anything "solid", just all this cosmetic stuff (which can be expensive).

His insurance pays for all of this....so Do I get it restored as close to pristine as possible or should I see if I can cut a deal where they give me the cash to reflect the damage and then build something more dirt oriented which won't be near as pretty (and if I can stretch the cash, maybe get a couple of dirtbikes for my kids so we can do the "dirt thing"). If I go this second route, I'll be doing away with all the fairing stuff and maybe get a smaller tank (keep the PD tank for longer trips)....basically lighten this beast. I've still got the factory single seat and rack so I'd convert back to that as well.

The question.....restore or bastardize? Any ideas/suggestions?
road2blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 03:46 PM   #2
KL5A
Bugs are the new black

Oddometer: 4,479
I'm not sure how insurance works in Canada, but I would think that it's similar to the US system. Figure the bike is totaled. If it's The Other Guys fault, the TOG's company is going to pay you the value of the bike and then they are going to take the bike, essentially, they buy it from you for market value (you hope!) Often you get an opportunity to buy it back from them for some small fraction, and they are often open to bargaining on this-I picked up $200 from a settlement one time just by asking for it, easiest money I ever made. So now you have a bike that was totaled and you bought it back. The title will forever reflect that it was totaled and rebuilt and as such will pretty much destroy the collector value of the bike, even if you restore it to 100% stock-so since it really is not a collectable any more, I think it's open season to do whatever the heck you want. You should have the cash left over from the buyback to be pretty free in your plans, especially if you're doing the work yourself. Exactly what to do? I dunno but have fun doing it!

I bought this bike basically as a parts bike for the parts value and I've been putting it back together. It will never be stock again but I can afford to try different stuff with it.

Getting a bike totaled is a harsh way to get a chance to customize but I think you should make the best of it, and make sure you show us what you're doing.
HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

Only dead fish go with the flow.
KL5A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 03:50 PM   #3
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,073
I would worry less about getting it pristine unless you think you might sell it, one day. I personally would go about making it more dirt oriented, but I like the "high impact" dirt, and wouldnt sell mine.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:13 PM   #4
rockt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,148
Make sure you check that frame very carefully. I know a guy who was in a minor accident with a car on his GSPD and the frame was bent. Of course every accident is different.
rockt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 05:05 PM   #5
road2blue OP
road2blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockt
Make sure you check that frame very carefully. I know a guy who was in a minor accident with a car on his GSPD and the frame was bent. Of course every accident is different.
How do you check that the best? wet tires on a dry floor show the one track not two. Could find no signs of paint flecking/bubbling on the frame. Impact force into the truck was reduced as my front wheel was washing out prior to impact. The truck body took the bulk of the impact along with my "superstructure" . Forks appear straight and unscarred. There is a gouge in the front rim that wasn't there before but otherwise couldn't see anything weird (roobars did slide along the downtube a bit though). So how does one confirm the frame isn't tweaked? (adjuster didn't think it was either).
Old 10-30-2005, 06:04 PM   #6
Frank Warner
Traveller

Oddometer: 6,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVENTUREBIKER11
How do you check that the best?
Straight edge (rule) on top frame tube under fuel tank. Assuming straight impact with front of bike. You can check the other tubes there - while your there.
Frank Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 07:55 PM   #7
Two Dot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
part out or sell

I have been pondering a similar question... I have a really good 95 GS with 69K on the clock. This bike has taken me to many wonderful places and shown me many great times. I would like to sell the bike now but the better value seems to show that "parting it out" would bring more. I would like to keep the wheels as I could use them as spares on my '88. Just thought I might ask and see what others thoughts were. Maybe you could give me a idea of what parts are desired ect... Thanks
Old 10-30-2005, 08:59 PM   #8
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,730
ICBC will make a determination if the bike's a write off or not. If it is, you can offer to buy it back as "salvage" and the title may or may not allow you to put it back on the road again, depending on the damage. If it's just a large value of cosmetics, it might still be roadworthy, but to expensive to repair by their formula.

I'd get someone like Shail's to look at the frame to see if it's straight or not. They did well for me when I had a dispute with Icky-Bicky over my old K-bike, overrruling their incompetent first line adjuster's decision.

Beware that they may not realize the value in the used market for that type of bike, and may write it off too easily.

Good luck, and heal well.
Commuter Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 10:26 PM   #9
road2blue OP
road2blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuter Boy
ICBC will make a determination if the bike's a write off or not. If it is, you can offer to buy it back as "salvage" and the title may or may not allow you to put it back on the road again, depending on the damage. If it's just a large value of cosmetics, it might still be roadworthy, but to expensive to repair by their formula.

I'd get someone like Shail's to look at the frame to see if it's straight or not. They did well for me when I had a dispute with Icky-Bicky over my old K-bike, overrruling their incompetent first line adjuster's decision.

Beware that they may not realize the value in the used market for that type of bike, and may write it off too easily.

Good luck, and heal well.
Thanks....this goes back to my original question....if it isn't written off, should I have it restored or should I "monsterize"? Can I dicker with them and have them give me the cash for repairs if it isn't written off and do the work myself?
Old 10-30-2005, 11:23 PM   #10
Rogue Scout
Instigator Deluxe

Oddometer: 1,316
Do the 2 step

1. Go to the HPN website and look over the mods made to bikes handed over to their skillset.

2. If you require a bib because you are salvating - monsterize it!
Old 10-31-2005, 08:11 AM   #11
Two Dot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Amen Brother!!!
Old 10-31-2005, 09:52 AM   #12
ducsingle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
I'm in the same situation with an R80ST. I personally don't think my ST or your PD will ever have true collector value, so I would recommend going the monster bike route. But I have several vintage Ducati and BMW motorbikes and consider my ST to be my tool bike. If your PD is your baby, then you're probably more inclined to return it to original condition.
ducsingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 09:59 AM   #13
sashapave
riders on the strom

Oddometer: 1,424
mmm...

A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for. -Admiral Grace Hopper
sashapave is offline   Reply With Quote