ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2005, 01:01 PM   #16
matteo OP
HPM
 
matteo's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 498
Quote:

When I transplant this unit to the G/S, the real test will begin. I'm leaving April 10, '06 for Europe for a 2 year around the world trip. A big part of the incentive for the Enduralast is reliability. I'll take an extra rectifier, but I can leave rotors, diode boards and the like behind.



As well, I’ll be charging a laptop and batteries from the bike battery, so maximum charge after a day of loitering through Eastern villages is going to be needed for all this. I ride a lot too, so it’ll be nice to have one less worry during my regular motoring around here.
We'll be expecting a travel blog here.
matteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 06:20 PM   #17
sharkey
XLV750R
 
sharkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmutMug
I got my kit on Monday night. It's going in my '83R80T first for a few months and then will be transplanted in the R80G/S.
I've got to be honest with you, it's a pretty easy install but removing the
old bits and installing the new rec/reg is involved enough that I'd just bung
it on the 80G/S right away if that's where you want it ...

Quote:
As well, I’ll be charging a laptop and batteries from the bike battery, so maximum charge after a day of loitering through Eastern villages is going to be needed for all this. I ride a lot too, so it’ll be nice to have one less worry during my regular motoring around here.
Well, it's up to you but I can't help reckoning that carrying a laptop everywhere would be a pain in the arse ... camera gear is bad enough, but laptops get shaken to bits ... and if you're busy worrying about your stuff getting stolen you can't ever quite relax. Internet Cafés seem a better bet to me ...

-----sharks
sharkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 12:17 AM   #18
SmutMug
Banned
 
Joined: May 2004
Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkey
I've got to be honest with you, it's a pretty easy install but removing the
old bits and installing the new rec/reg is involved enough that I'd just bung
it on the 80G/S right away if that's where you want it ...



Well, it's up to you but I can't help reckoning that carrying a laptop everywhere would be a pain in the arse ... camera gear is bad enough, but laptops get shaken to bits ... and if you're busy worrying about your stuff getting stolen you can't ever quite relax. Internet Cafés seem a better bet to me ...

-----sharks
Sharkey, I'm not worried about rigging it up on the G/S. That bike just got rebuilt from the ground up, so the bits are all fresh and can easily be taken apart again. I ride a lot and the RT will be the test machine for the next five months. The G/S will only see a few thousand miles before I leave, to break it in and shake out the tuning. As far as a laptop goes … I’ve got one that can withstand the vibrations (Fujitsu P5020, it’s lived on the G/S for the last few years). As well, I have a backup hard drive with a mirror image IF the one in the machine fails. Backups are on 4 Gig SanDisk memory sticks and CD’s to be created on the road and sent home for safekeeping. Needed for thousands of pictures and travel writing … not something I want to do in internet cafes… I suspect the Enduralast to be ok, but I want to clock 20K or so on it before I trust leaving with it … replacing stock parts is not going to be a deal killer if you’re in India or Pakistan, but if the Enduralast dies … I debated upgrading earlier to the Motorrad Electric 400 Watt system, but it’s basically the same as stock, except that the rotor is a tad bigger and it has all the old failure points of the stock system. A new stock rotor won’t help there either, as you have to use the one supplied by Motorrad. I think the Enduralast is the way to go for what I want.
SmutMug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 01:15 AM   #19
sharkey
XLV750R
 
sharkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmutMug
Sharkey, I'm not worried about rigging it up on the G/S. That bike just got rebuilt from the ground up, so the bits are all fresh and can easily be taken apart again. I ride a lot and the RT will be the test machine for the next five months. The G/S will only see a few thousand miles before I leave, to break it in and shake out the tuning. As far as a laptop goes … I’ve got one that can withstand the vibrations (Fujitsu P5020, it’s lived on the G/S for the last few years).
Ah, fair enough, horses for courses and all that.

Quote:
replacing stock parts is not going to be a deal killer if you’re in India or Pakistan, but if the Enduralast dies … I debated upgrading earlier to the Motorrad Electric 400 Watt system, but it’s basically the same as stock, except that the rotor is a tad bigger and it has all the old failure points of the stock system. A new stock rotor won’t help there either, as you have to use the one supplied by Motorrad. I think the Enduralast is the way to go for what I want.
I suspect that one's a bit of a furphy ... even if your bike rolls to a halt outside the biggest bike shop in Bangalore, the odds of them stocking a BMW rotor are ... vanishingly remote. It's probably quicker and cheaper to order it in from Europe or the States anyway. So you might as well be ordering from Motorrad Elektric or EuroMotoElectrics or whoever anyway.

-----sharks
sharkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 03:26 PM   #20
Frank Warner
Traveller
 
Frank Warner's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 6,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkey
I suspect that one's a bit of a furphy ... even if your bike rolls to a halt outside the biggest bike shop in Bangalore, the odds of them stocking a BMW rotor are ... vanishingly remote.
Yes and no.

I did a fork seal out of Alice Springs. The bm dealer did not have one in stock. But the Suzie dealer did - he was doing up an old bm and they used the same seal for 20+ years?

Oh - the rotor maybe the same as ones used by MotoGuzzie.
The oil pressure switch is the same as used by airhead beattles.
And so on.

I'd think in Bangalore you'd find a craftsman to make almost anything. Probably cheaper than the postage too.
Frank Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 08:31 PM   #21
SmutMug
Banned
 
Joined: May 2004
Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Warner
Yes and no.

I did a fork seal out of Alice Springs. The bm dealer did not have one in stock. But the Suzie dealer did - he was doing up an old bm and they used the same seal for 20+ years?

Oh - the rotor maybe the same as ones used by MotoGuzzie.
The oil pressure switch is the same as used by airhead beattles.
And so on.

I'd think in Bangalore you'd find a craftsman to make almost anything. Probably cheaper than the postage too.
Let's just hope I don't need it ... Diving into the garage again in 30 mins. to finih up the wiring ... didn't get it done Monday and this week has been hell as pretty much everything that could go wrong at work did ...
SmutMug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 10:40 PM   #22
sharkey
XLV750R
 
sharkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Warner
I'd think in Bangalore you'd find a craftsman to make almost anything. Probably cheaper than the postage too.
Well, exactly. If your BMW rotor burns out, you can get one shipped in or pay someone to rewind it. If your EnDuraLast rotor goes, same options.

What I'm getting at is that there's an assumption that the entire world is covered in smiling BMW dealers with vast stocks of Airhead spares, just waiting for you to pop in and ask. Whereas, in reality, even in country Australia you'll be getting those parts in the post or making do by modifying other auto parts.

-----sharks
sharkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 12:48 AM   #23
SmutMug
Banned
 
Joined: May 2004
Oddometer: 40
Just finished up installing my system. I ended up leaving all the old wiring in place, as I might put the old stuff back when I move this over to the G/S. I have to admit I'm smitten by this thing. I might just end up putting a new set in the G/S.

I did it a bit different than others ... I mounted the rectifier behind the grille on the R80RT, on one of the frame tubes. A small bracket provides support for straps. For grounds, I wired 2 car-sized battery negative cables. One to the frame and one to the battery negative. The wiring is the easy bit. First thing I noticed was that the gen light comes on a tad later than normal when you turn the key. It fired right up and the Datel voltmeter I wired up went to 13.9 right away. Anything over 1500 rpm goes to 14.2 v. Lights, electric vest and 70W converter seemed to have marginal impact. I like it … I’ll post a full report tomorrow with some pics
SmutMug is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014