Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2009, 01:50 AM   #16
JSL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
I've had some issues with the rocker arm bearings (replaced the intake side bearing twice now) and I had about 1mm axial play. The guys from Sommer told me not to worry about it and that it is normal to have that much play.

I did shim it anyway though.
JSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:32 PM   #17
todd83-900t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
What's the proper technique for measuring the axial play in the rocker arms? When I insert a feeler gauge between the thrust shim and the rocker arm the main shaft moves slightly, screwing up my measurement. The shafts are held in place with the long bolts but there is some slop in the shaft bolt holes.

Should you just place the chrome end of the shaft perfectly flush with the cam shaft cover, with a straight edge, and then measure?
Old 08-12-2010, 02:44 AM   #18
Tseta
Lost

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd83-900t
What's the proper technique for measuring the axial play in the rocker arms? When I insert a feeler gauge between the thrust shim and the rocker arm the main shaft moves slightly, screwing up my measurement. The shafts are held in place with the long bolts but there is some slop in the shaft bolt holes.

Should you just place the chrome end of the shaft perfectly flush with the cam shaft cover, with a straight edge, and then measure?
I wrote the following to a fellow ADVRider in a related discussion:

It is important to remember that the location of the rocker arm shafts and the rockers themselves is determined (mostly) by the two bolts that also in part hold the cylinder head top section in place. When you have taken the cylinder head top section off, there is no indexing of the rockers anymore by these bolts. You could, of course, temporarily insert the bolts trough the removed top section to line the rockers and shafts up correctly, but I feel that this has a greater chance for error. For this reason, I have always measured the rocker arm play while the cylinder head top section is fully assembled. Of course you cannot use the feeler gauge method in this case, but a dial indicator or even a vernier gauge works fine for measuring. Remember, you are looking for the amount of play, not an exact length measurement or such, so any two surfaces will do for measuring points. I use a vernier caliper's "depth" feature, measuring on the valve clearance adjusting nut, with the caliper body held against the edge of the valve inspection cover.

Cheers,

Tseta
Tseta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:38 AM   #19
todd83-900t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Thanks!

That little kibble of information is not in the engine manual!
Old 08-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #20
ontherock
ne'er do well

Oddometer: 32
Thanks loads guys, great thread, I mixed up my shims when replacing rollers and this clarifies the murkiness and then some. Where can one find the repair manual?
ontherock is offline   Reply With Quote